How should we say Dapol?

Rob F

I have always said Day-pol but on the DVD that came with the latest ModelRail it was always pronounced Dapp-ol.

Which is correct?

I suppose it doesn't really matter but I am just a bit curious!

ROB

The name was originally derived from the Christial names of David (Boyle) and his wife Polly

From this the original and intended pronunciation can be ascertained, ( DAY POL) certainly when I met David when he had premises in Winsford many years ago thats how he pronounced it!

However over the years the emphasis seems to have shifted rather and many retailers seem to say DAP OL.

Its a pity that I did not read this earlier as I drove past their premises twice earlier today!

• RMweb Gold

In English, a single consonant gives the preceding vowel a long emphasis, hence Day-pol is the right way. Of course this isn't an English word, so perhaps someone from that august organisation might tell us - because as they invented the word they have the right to have it pronounced as they choose!

Day-Pole for me as well, that's always made sense. And glad to see that it is the official stance as well!

And in response to S.A.C. Martin, I have always pronounced Bachmann as Back-man.

Ross

Day-Pole for me as well, that's always made sense. And glad to see that it is the official stance as well!

And in response to S.A.C. Martin, I have always pronounced Bachmann as Back-man.

Ross

I don't think (but I could be wrong!) that that was what Dave meant. I took it to mean Day (as in day of the week) and Pol (to rhyme with the 'hol' in holiday) not Pole (as in North Pole).

ROB

Archived