Bachmann Midland Pullman

Ian Hargrave

Hi,

While perusing the web, I came across this <http://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/model-trains/Bachmann-diesel/Bachmann-midland-pullman/> and enquiries resulted in establishing that this outlet has approximately 30 Blue Pullmans (of various liveries) in stock.

Stan

Having seen the price, I'm not surprised! :O

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi,

While perusing the web, I came across this <http://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/model-trains/Bachmann-diesel/Bachmann-midland-pullman/> and enquiries resulted in establishing that this outlet has approximately 30 Blue Pullmans (of various liveries) in stock.

Stan

Notice that they are at full price !!!!!

I have recently see one at £325 and one at £315 and they weren't selling having both been on the shelf for some time (dusty boxes ). The must like having the stock or an understanding Bank Manager. Me thinks if they want them to sell a decent price cut would be in order.

• 6 months later...

I took my Midland Pullman back in to the guys at TMC (The Model Centre) near Whitby today. The 'F' power car had always made a whining or rough sound when running, but after the home move it had given up the ghost.

They quickly took it apart and found it was missing some screws from the motor housing, and the drive shaft had become unseated. Five minutes work, plus a quick look at some of the 'E' carriage table lights which had fallen down a little, and I have a fine running blue fronted Midland Pullman again, with many thanks to all at TMC. It was bought last year, weathered, as one of the last blue fronted ones left I could find at the time.

They also showed me a respray of one of the yellow fronted ones they are working on, with some nice metallic transfers from Fox to add. Unfortunately they are flat out weathering a load of Hornby P2's, and other items,so it might be a little while before the resprays to blue for the Pullman's are ready for sale. They will need a little blending of the paint and overall weathering as well as the tranfer work, but at least there will be a few more blue fronted ones coming on to the market at some time.

They also mentioned that the Bachmann rep had said with the recent price increases that another run of Midland Pullmans would probably have a recommended price of somewhere near £700. Obviously retailers would discount that, but even so, I would imagine that such a price would put off most buyers, and would make another run unlikely. I would also imagine that such a price tag would make other similar sets that could be considered like the Trans Pennie 5 and 6 car sets (class 123) , or the Swindon Cross Country sets (class 123), or even the HST prototype (class 252) unlikely to be considered as sale-able either. Pity, although the APT-E is being made at the moment, but with a down payment, so a different financing to Bachmann's method.

Anyway, none of this is gospel, just an interesting discussion with the staff at TMC, and again many thanks to them for repairing my Midland Pullman so quickly.

Jamie

Would the BP really double in price in only a few years....£700 it might be but I would suspect thats not the price to question but that perhaps its original RRP was well underestimated from day 1. Still Rapido can do a 4 car set for around £100 less albeit 2 cars shorter so who to believe on what is possible price point wise. I dont know anymore even if the factories arent the same.

• RMweb Premium

£700 seems a bit steep for 6 car set  Yikes!

Take a Hornby Brighton Belle at £189.99 then add 4 coaches @ £49.49 that is £387.95 RRP  or a Hornby HST at £209.99 and 8 coaches @ £35.49  is £493.91 RRP.

You think that's bad... What about £399.99 used on Amazon today for a R1148 Class 395 Javelin train set in fictional Olympics livery!!!!

I thought that was individual repaints that Lord and Butler were doing rather than commissioning a limited edition from Bachmann

That's what he said - ".. special repaint option ..", not ".. commissioning a limited edition from Bachmann ..".

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this rather splendid contemporary promotional video on Youtube.  I haven't checked back through all 52 pages of the thread to see if it has already been mentioned.  If you are interested in the Blue Pullman or just 1960s BR it is well worth a viewing.  There are some amazing shots which had me wondering whether it was model or prototype.  The railway men all look very old.   There is a telling touch with the 'boffin's' cigarette left balanced on the ash tray by his notes.  Did smoking really age people so much?  Or maybe all the stewed tea.

Regards

Ray

Thanks Michael

There is another blue pullman film which ive never seen on the internet but i have on kingfisher vhs, brilliant early film showing the actual construction of them,if you can get it its worth watching.

All very interesting.  Not many people will still have their VHS players?

Regards

Ray

Came across this rather splendid contemporary promotional video on Youtube.  I haven't checked back through all 52 pages of the thread to see if it has already been mentioned.  If you are interested in the Blue Pullman or just 1960s BR it is well worth a viewing.  There are some amazing shots which had me wondering whether it was model or prototype.  The railway men all look very old.   There is a telling touch with the 'boffin's' cigarette left balanced on the ash tray by his notes.  Did smoking really age people so much?  Or maybe all the stewed tea.

Regards

Ray

Interesting to see the Pullman at the start without the crests on the front (and back presumably). It isn't shown running in service that way though.

Creepy music for a promo film as well, the first few minutes make it feel more like it is being set up as sabotage for a Bond film, rather than a shiny new addition to BR's fleet.

Thanks for sharing, some great shots of the units in service.

Thanks Jamie

I hadn't seen the video before and the overhead shots are wonderful and for the 1960s probably technically very advanced.

Interesting to see the Pullman at the start without the crests on the front (and back presumably)..

I knew that there was something different at the front and back but hadn't realised the crests were missing.  Elsewhere on RMweb I have been discussing the presence of red rear lights on Bachmann (green) DMUs - I should include the central rear light on the Blue Pullman.  Seemingly these red rear lights only came into use after negotiations had removed the use of the single rear red oil lamp visible in the video as the Blue Pullman enters the maintenance depot in the final video shots.

Thanks again

Ray

PS my other half asked me what the appalling music was for!

Appalling music?  Are we talking about Clifton Parker's soundtrack for the classic BTF?  It's a masterpiece of mid 20th Century British Light Classical music from a well respected film composer whose other work includes music for the film "The Sword and the Rose" and "Sink the Bismarck"!

You can also buy it's first recording on a Chandos CD (CHAN 10279).  His music for that other classic BTF "Elizabethan Express" has also been recorded on another CD, British Light Music Premieres, vol. 3 by Dutton Digital.

BTF used a mix of specially composed music such as Blue Pullman and Elizabethan Express, library music ("mood" music written for film and radio producers to use on generic productions) and well known classical pieces such as Johann Strauss' "Perpetuum Mobile" which was used for the famous London to Birmingham in 5 minutes BTF film again featuring a Blue Pullman.  For anyone interested in the music of the British Transport Films unit there is an interesting article and "discography" on http://nicwhe8.freehostia.com/btf/music/music.html

I can understand someone saying appalling music though.

I agree it is not bad music (far from it), but the context for that music at the start seems very much in contrast to the visuals, or very far from what you would expect the music to portray in a promotional film these days.

I do love a lot of the music from that period of BR films, I must take time to investigate your link Wombatofludham when I am more awake.

Jamie

Archived