Bachmann Midland Pullman

Ian Hargrave

Ordered one from Holt Model Railways for 289.00 , similar quick service , what a model except for response to conventional controller .

Take the DCC chips out and replace with the blank ones then you will see a great improvement!

• 2 weeks later...

I too have been in Trains4U. Today, in the cabinet today was a yellow ended Pullman, unsurprisingly, but also a weathered Nanking Blue version for only £375. £300 for the Pullman and £75 for the weathering can't be bad and it looked the Dogs wotsits. If I didn't have an unweathered version already that would be with me now. Wish I'd waited now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If anybody in Melbourne Australia would like to see what the Midland Pullman looks like in the flesh, Train World at Brighton and Branchlines at Croydon both have yellow fronted ones in their display cabinets.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that Branchlines also have the all blue version.

• 1 month later...

I have finally been able to afford one, and only just in time, it was one of the last couple available from The Model Centre near Whitby (and a lovely place to visit), so it is also weathered by them.

A lovely model, and worth the wait.

There are a very few new ones still around, but they are getting hard to track down. There are also a few websites who don't bother to update their stock, so beware when you do see them listed, I won't name names.

I didn't realise that both power cars were powered, one seems fine, but the other is making a whining sound. I suspect that one of the worm cogs is slipping. I will contact the shop, I don't want to start pulling it open with it still being new, I would rather get the shop's opinion first.

Has anyone had a similar problem with one of the power cars?

Jamie

I have finally been able to afford one, and only just in time, it was one of the last couple available from The Model Centre near Whitby (and a lovely place to visit), so it is also weathered by them.

A lovely model, and worth the wait.

There are a very few new ones still around, but they are getting hard to track down. There are also a few websites who don't bother to update their stock, so beware when you do see them listed, I won't name names.

I didn't realise that both power cars were powered, one seems fine, but the other is making a whining sound. I suspect that one of the worm cogs is slipping. I will contact the shop, I don't want to start pulling it open with it still being new, I would rather get the shop's opinion first.

Has anyone had a similar problem with one of the power cars?

Jamie

You're right, they are getting harder to find. Although the version with full yellow ends is still easy to find. Just doesn't look right to me. I managed to get the last all-blue one from Invicta recently, unopened but a little bit of shelf wear on the box. I haven't run it yet. Wish I'd pre-ordered one in hindsight as I ended paying much more for it.

Regarding the noise from one power car, are you running on DC?

Thanks Southernelectric.

I am running DCC, I have also noticed that the cab lights only stay on if you keep F2 held down, but I did read that someone had a solution earlier in the thread. I also use a Gaugemaster as they do.

I will speak with TMC tomorrow, and see if they would prefer me to open up the 'F' powercar.

Interestingly they have found that the yellow ended version hasn't sold, and I asked them if they were considering re-spraying them to blue (as I mentioned earlier in the thread), and they are looking into it, if they can find the transfer for the crest they will start doing it.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

I am running DCC, I have also noticed that the cab lights only stay on if you keep F2 held down, but I did read that someone had a solution earlier in the thread. I also use a Gaugemaster as they do.

Your Gaugemaster is made by MRC in the US. US systems regard F2 as the horn - so it is designed as a non-latching button, the horn sounding for as long as you press it. There may be a workround for that.

Thanks Oldddudders, I found Markw's post earlier in the thread saying to:

"Yes, change CV36 to 0 and CV37, CV38 or CV39 to 4 for F3, F4 or F5.
If you set a different F key in each power car you can control the two cab lights individually."

I'll give it a try.

Jamie

Jamie

They haven't looked very hard

BL62, BL63 by Cambridge custom transfers - about to buy some of these fro my Kitmaster Blue Pullman..

Barry O,

Thanks for that plug.

My own Kitmaster rake is coming close to the end of a marathon construction and painting project; I will post photos when it is completed.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• RMweb Premium

John

if you need any spare coaches I have one kitchen and one saloon... (guess who got the bids on Ebay wrong(!))

I need to order some transfers from you for mine then I just need to .. build the ones still in kit form.

best regards

Barry O

John

if you need any spare coaches I have one kitchen and one saloon... (guess who got the bids on Ebay wrong(!))

I need to order some transfers from you for mine then I just need to .. build the ones still in kit form.

best regards

Barry O

Barry,

My BP is completed bar some painting and the application of transfers.

It has a Black Beetle in each power car; directional head and tail lights; Roco close coupling units carrying the buffing plates which have micro-magnets for coupling; and interior carpets, seat covers and partition murals applied by transfers, which were scanned and traced from photos of the prototype.

I will post photos when the model is complete.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Probably shooting myself in the foot here, but Hattons are showing only 6 Midland Pullmans in original livery left on their website.

I spoke with my local shop who have a good relationship with their Bachmann dealer, and they said that they don't think there will be another run in this livery in the near future, more likely to be the later grey livery.

Sadly as finances have been poor this year I probably won't be able to grab one while Hattons still have stocks, there may be other sellers with a few still around when things pick up, or by then I might have to pay Ebay prices (which will shoot up when the Hattons stock goes I am sure). I could always live without one anyway, the Heljan Garrett is higher on my priority list, still it would be nice if things turn around as a treat.

So grab one now if you have been putting it off.

Still at least one 'non custard' one at the Covent Garden LT Museum Shop as of yesterday (Sunday 27.10.13). Will be full RRP but at least the proceeds are going towards the museum funds.

Archived