Bachmann Midland Pullman

Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone located suitable Ice Cream Man drivers yet?

Cheers

Phil

These are always appearing on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DGM-OO-ICE-CREAM-TRICYCLE-00-gauge-1-76-4mm-METAL-KIT-/151003786482?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item232886ecf2&nma=true&si=bgO8EP2ezZQR1zVcNplMDL1YwwU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The man on the bike is a seperate casting. I have one to use as an ice cream seller on my layout. As previously mentioned the LM drivers wore more of a military (RAF) type uniform.

• RMweb Gold

These are always appearing on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DGM-OO-ICE-CREAM-TRICYCLE-00-gauge-1-76-4mm-METAL-KIT-/151003786482?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item232886ecf2&nma=true&si=bgO8EP2ezZQR1zVcNplMDL1YwwU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The man on the bike is a seperate casting. I have one to use as an ice cream seller on my layout. As previously mentioned the LM drivers wore more of a military (RAF) type uniform.

Nice - will go for that

Many thanks

Phil

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Probably shooting myself in the foot here, but Hattons are showing only 6 Midland Pullmans in original livery left on their website.

I spoke with my local shop who have a good relationship with their Bachmann dealer, and they said that they don't think there will be another run in this livery in the near future, more likely to be the later grey livery.

Sadly as finances have been poor this year I probably won't be able to grab one while Hattons still have stocks, there may be other sellers with a few still around when things pick up, or by then I might have to pay Ebay prices (which will shoot up when the Hattons stock goes I am sure). I could always live without one anyway, the Heljan Garrett is higher on my priority list, still it would be nice if things turn around as a treat.

So grab one now if you have been putting it off.

Hattons are showing only 6 Midland Pullmans in original livery left on their website. [...] So grab one now if you have been putting it off.

Too late, all gone.

Still plenty of yellow-ended ones, though.

Interesting that they are showing as 'pre-order' though, so perhaps there will be another run.

I would hope so, but that is perhaps selfish.

I wonder how Ebay prices will react?

There are still a few listed on smaller websites, although from past experience, they might just be sites that don't get updated when the stock has sold.

Not surprised the yellow ones are hanging around though.

One has windscreen wipers? ;)

(Expensive wipers, are they Bosch? ;) )

Also, the lights, and some seperate handrails, and a silver footstep.

The Tri-ang power car is the Western Region type (2nd Class, 3 seating bays.). (8 Car sets)

The Bachmann power car is the Midland Pullman type (1st Class, 2 seating bays and a toilet.). With a window in the back door... (6 Car Sets)

Interesting that the ride hight is pretty much the same. I thought Tri-ang's buffer height was higher than "scale" to allow for the sudden transitions encountered on inclines formed from the pier sets.

Of course, the main difference is that Bachmann have made all the coaches (Including the Kitchen parlour First Class cars) for a Midland Pullman Set, Tri-ang didn't, though Kitmaster did, though these were kits.

For a Midland Pullman Set, as well as 2 Power cars (1st Class), and 2 Parlour 1st Class Cars (As also made by Tri-ang), you would need 2 Kitchen Parlour 1st Class cars.

For a Western Region Set, as well as the 2 Power cars (2nd Class)(As made by Tri-ang), and 2 Parlour 1st Class Cars (As made by Tri-ang), you would need 2 Kitchen Parlour 1st Class cars, and 2 Parlour 2nd Class cars (These were not made by Tri-ang or Kitmaster, and have 7 seating bays/ windows as against the 6 seating bays/windows of the Parlour 1st Class cars.).

Spot the diference!

Comparing the power car fronts with the photograph immediately above of the train approaching, ye olde Triang looks to have the plane 'facets' above each front window and transition into the roof dome better proportioned than the Bachmann. But the strong suggestion of the white window surrounds to the driver's windows being a pair of strap on goggles, and the glazing shape,  much better represented by the Bachmann.

It is always interesting to see how different teams interpret and reproduce such compound curvatures, which were such a feature of the BR  transition era designs.

Can anyone tell me what the colour of the gangway doors was on the grey/blue Western Region sets? I wondered if it was yellow, the same as the HST. Apologies if I've missed a post about this - I'm just repainting a set at the moment.

Cheers

Keith

The 'pre-order' disappeared from Hattons, as did the listing for 31-255DC, so I am inclined to believe the shop owners who have said not expect a new run of this version. Still a few on Ebay, and lots of the yellow ended ones (31-256DC) just about everywhere.

If someone can get some matching 'Nanking Blue' paint, front crest transfers and an airbrush I suspect that they can make some money respraying the 31-256DC version, when the one still around get scarce. I know Railmatch does that colour.

The kernow model centre still had some Nanking blue ones left on Wednesday. I ordered one that night arrived this morning - super service. Simply a stunning model, and runs very well straight out of the box. I m a very happy bunny. If you are wondering if you should buy one i would urge you to act now. Remember one even went to the north eastern region on a trip to Hartlepool so most of us can justify it as protypical!

The kernow model centre still had some Nanking blue ones left on Wednesday. I ordered one that night arrived this morning - super service. Simply a stunning model, and runs very well straight out of the box. I m a very happy bunny. If you are wondering if you should buy one i would urge you to act now. Remember one even went to the north eastern region on a trip to Hartlepool so most of us can justify it as protypical!

Being picky, I think that it was a WR 8-car set that went to Hartlepool. 

That didn't stop me from buying one though..........

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered one from Holt Model Railways for 289.00 , similar quick service , what a model except for response to conventional controller .

Archived