Wheels of Steel, London

BenL

Hi there,

I've just seen an ad in the latest Railway Modeller for the Wheels of Steel model railway shop near Bond Street in London. Despite living in London, I'd never heard of this shop and just wondered if anyone on here knows the shop and would recommend it?

And am I right in thinking that there aren't any other model railway shops in central London, a branch of Model Zone aside?

Many thanks in advance for any insights!

• RMweb Gold

It's a stand in the antiques market - I visited it once (back in the 90s!) and found the chap very helpful. Other than ModelZone, your only other bet is the Engine Shed in Leytonstone which is only a little ride out on the Central Line and then a short walk from the station.

Haven't been there in a couple of years but mostly second hand and a few gems hidden away.

For shops in Central London, don't forget the Ian Allen book shop on Lower Marsh. They've got a reasonable selection of Hornby, Bachmann, etc. They also stock Vallejo acrylic paint and MIG powders.

I make a point of calling into Wheels of Steel whenever I get any time in Central London. Very nice chap as everyone has said and quite an eclectic second hand range, UK and continental. Picked up a bundle of Ks and Cambrian kits when I was there last for not an excessive amount,

Haven't been there in a couple of years but mostly second hand and a few gems hidden away.

For shops in Central London, don't forget the Ian Allen book shop on Lower Marsh. They've got a reasonable selection of Hornby, Bachmann, etc. They also stock Vallejo acrylic paint and MIG powders.

Modelzone at Holburn also carries an excellent range of Vallejo acrylics inc the sep 'Air' range that as specifically designed for airbrushing

Dan Spalding

Many thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences of Wheels of Steel - it sounds like it's definitely worth a visit!

And many thanks also for all the reminders/pointers about other model shops in and around central London - I know where to head when I need something now.

Cheers,

Ben

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was in London this week, and managed to fit in a visit to Wheels of Steel, probably for the first time in 3 years. Fortunately he had nothing I wanted to buy, so that was a relief!

The latest news though is that the store has relocated to a different unit within Gray's Antique Market. It is on the Ground floor, unit G12. This is quite easy to find from Bond Street station: Head South on Davies Street past the Davies Street entrance to Gray's to the corner with Davies Mews. Pub on the corner, 'Running Horse'. Turn in Davies Mews, and go in the first door into Gray's after the pub. Wheels of Steel is one of the first units on the left. Much easier now, compared with previously! Note that Crossrail are presently digging some very large holes in Davies Street and Davies Mews, so the roads are not as clear as they appear on 'Google Street View'.

Wheels of Steel are closed from yesterday for a while. He will have some new opening hours upon re-opening, with effect from September 3rd: Tuesday to Friday only, 11:00 to 17:45. (Grays are Mon-Sat, 10:00-18:00). If you go on a Monday or a Saturday, you'll have to content yourself with looking at the crockery in the other units!

Dave

The opening hours have long been weekdays only so my visits are usually only a couple of times a year when I'm in London during the week. A visit here usually manages to incur some expense, the last one was £50 for two Blue-Grey mk1s and a Nightcap Bar together with a pile of Langley whitemetal bits. The prices are extremely good compared with anywhere else I use, usually a lot less than Ebay and considering the central London location, a real bargain.

Always well worth a visit if you're in London on a weekday

• RMweb Gold

Forgive me for being slightly cynical, but: "Central London's most interesting and diverse model railway centre" ?

It's a counter with a bloke in front! :O

• RMweb Gold

I was there a couple of weeks ago, my first visit since about 1996. I'm often in central London but always forget the address of the antiques market, so this time I made a note ahead of time. I enjoyed my visit - managed to pick up 5 unboxed Hornby Gresleys which had been nicely weathered, for about 18 pounds a coach. Given the competition, I think it probably *is* Central London's most interesting and diverse model railway centre - not that that's saying much about central London! I'll be popping in again, though, next time I'm in town.

Forgive me for being slightly cynical, but: "Central London's most interesting and diverse model railway centre" ?

It's a counter with a bloke in front! :O

Bet the poor chap pays more in rent and rates than some model shops out in the sticks

I was there a couple of weeks ago, my first visit since about 1996. I'm often in central London but always forget the address of the antiques market, so this time I made a note ahead of time. I enjoyed my visit - managed to pick up 5 unboxed Hornby Gresleys which had been nicely weathered, for about 18 pounds a coach. Given the competition, I think it probably *is* Central London's most interesting and diverse model railway centre - not that that's saying much about central London! I'll be popping in again, though, next time I'm in town.

I'd go further than that - Central London's ONLY model shop! And an excellent place too, with a very quick turnover in stock.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I certainly appreciate that there are still places like Wheels of Steel. Long may they live!

I just don't like exaggerated advertising. For those of us who only come rarely to London and want to plan and spend our time well, it seems rather misleading to use the term "model railway centre" for what is essentially a permanent market stall. Not worry though, worse things have happened to me :-)

These days, just pretend there's a near-full-RRP Hornheljmann display you'd get elsewhere. (And aren't going to buy from anyway.) Then it's all ok. :onthequiet:

Actually want to walk somewhere and see something not UK N or OO in Greater London? Options are limited; here at least there's a chance of something unusual. That's getting rather precious.

I've not been there, but a fellow club member does pop-in (a lot!)

He recently picked up a load of Lima O gauge track (incl 1 point)

for only £10! He has got lots of bargains from him in the past.

Jeff

Archived