Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DavidB-AU said:

It's literally true. Henry Mais (English), Francis Sheilds (Irish) and Henry Stanley (Scottish) are the engineers responsible for the gauge mess in Australia.

Not to mention the NSW/Vic interstate rivalry. At one stage if NSW had compensated Victoria for NSW having changed their track gauge, after they had notified Vic that they had chosen 5'3", they then changed back to standard gauge, but by this time Victoria had ordered 5'3" equipment from the UK.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

in Chester apparently one is still obliged, not just permitted but obliged to shoot any unregistered Welshmen on sight with a bow and arrow after sundown, which of course was when it was harder to see your target…

I shoudn't worry.  After sundown the good burghers of Chester are already too p*ssed to hit anybody they pointed their bow and arrow at and anyway they can't see the leek you are wearing in your lapel.

I think it's still legal to shoot any Welshman in Hereford Cathedral with a longbow on Sunday, but it must be from 12 yards away.  I suppose they think Taffies should go to their Chapels and not the Church of England.

In York it's Scotsmen you can shoot, but there it is Sundays excepted and you're supposed to use your crossbow.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Or 18.375mm

For 5ft 3in to HO scale - as in Victoria/SA broad gauge. Not that I know anyone who does. Although I believe that EM Gauge has been used.

I saw a layout of Broadford at the Swindon festival last month. HO Dual gauge 4’8 1/2” = 16.5mm and 5’3” = 18.2mm. There is a similar layout on the exhibition circuit here in Victoria but all laid with HO track

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 16/10/2022 at 10:12, KeithMacdonald said:

Could be worse ... it might have been bagpipes!

In Dorset, you can get done for that:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/busker-arrested-for-bagpipe-playing-367176

And even in Edinburgh:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/piper-arrested-royal-mile-after-playing-bagpipes-too-loudly-584695

But true Highland Scots folk regard Edinburgh as a strange sassenach place.

They were paying him to go away?

• Funny 1

29 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Not native of Australia.

If I remember correctly from the book the Triffids were bred in Russia for oil but escaped!

Bl@@dy Russians....

But are we sure they escaped?  Or were they released as part of a plot gone wrong.....

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

And ask for 100,000 previous incidents to be taken into account.

To which the response will be:

"100,000? What about the other <insert large number here>, like the time when you ......"

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

And then there are the things you didn’t even know you did, brought up in arguments years later and meaningless to you.  I talk in my sleep (another good reason if one were needed for absolute honesty with your partner), and on one occasion apparently mentioned someone called Sarah.  My then wife of course took me to task about it the following day; ‘who’s this Sarah you were dreaming about last night, then’?  

Took a minute for her to explain that I’d been talking in my sleep, again, but not only could I not recall the dream, there was nobody in my circle of friends and work colleagues by that name, a mystery.  I may not even have said it, but mumbled something similar, for all I knew.  After a short but tense conversation she accepted my explanation, or said she did; matter closed, I thought, yeah, right; dream on Johnster!

‘Sarah’ became a regular feature of arguments for years afterwards; ‘all right, let Sarah cook your dinner’, ‘been seeing Sarah again then, have you’ (late home, car wouldn’t start), ‘ok, go and see if Sarah can get the stain out in her washing machine since she’s so much better than me that you talk about her in your sleep’!  It sort of turned into a running joke eventually. 

I also suffered several days of sexual abstinence or even cuddles because one of our friends had bought his wife a single red rose.  B@st@rd. 

Men.  We really don’t know what we did. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

7 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Not native of Australia.

If I remember correctly from the book the Triffids were bred in Russia for oil but escaped!

They just appeared (extra-terrestrial?). Despite having two nasty traits, stinging and walking about, they were cultivated all over the world for their oil, which was better quality if they kept their stinging tentacles. They escaped following a world wide meteor storm, which resulted in almost everyone becoming blind. This was blamed on the Russians. A triffid sting kept our hero in hospital with his eyes bandaged, so he became one of the lucky few who could still see.

In the film they were found to be dissolved by sea water, but the book left things open.

• Like 2

According to the book*...

The triffids were developed by the Russians, a person of a mercenary bent proposed to sell seeds to a (I think) fish oil company, who wanted the oil the triffids produced as it was of a better quality than their normal products. While making his escape, the plane the mercenary was travelling in was shot down and the seeds distributed around the world.

The hero of the story, first encountered a triffid as a child, his father destroyed the plant after it took a swing at him. He eventually worked at a triffid farm and was temporarily blinded by triffid venom. This then leads into the so-called "meteor storm", which were actually militarised satellites that either malfunctioned or were triggered intentionally.

Sometimes John Wyndham had a bleak view of the future of humanity...

* The 1962 film was a complete howler. Seawater dissolves them???

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3