RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

This was our local Chinese until recently.  Apparently the staff hated answering the phone.

image.png.efafbbef985e10435c13b80f8004501b.png 

But they've been in business for a long time. The phone number style changed to 10 digits in the 1990s from memory.

Yes 1997 August 18, it came into operation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

But they've been in business for a long time. The phone number style changed to 10 digits in the 1990s from memory.

Yes 1997 August 18, it came into operation.

Yes, my parents phone number went from 581 353 in the early 70's, to 046 581353  which matches the sign, I think that's when Subscriber trunk dialling was initiated sometime in the mid 70's. Then it went to  02 46 581353  when the numbers merged into the Sydney 02 region -  probably in that 90's time frame you mention.

Gotta say, I frequented that restaurant dozens of times and the name never stuck me in any double entendre-ish way for about 15 years! The restaurant was the best Chinese in town through the 80's and 90's,  now Thai food has taken over. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

This was our local Chinese until recently.  Apparently the staff hated answering the phone.

This one was in Portland, OR for many, many until recently, the sign has been restored:

PortlandORstreetlight_zpsc2863c8e.jpg.726766d15560f429cdb123aca8508395.jpg

BTW, the food there was quite good, I was there once waiting for the Amtrak's Empire Builder and had lunch

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Reg Shoe?

No, no, he was just a zombie, on the side of the forces of law and order at that, one of the good guys.  Zombies feature regularly in my nightmares and hypnopomnic hallucinations, I'm used to them, glad to see these familiar old friends in fact as it means the insides of my eyelids are not going to project anything worse at me.  Zombies are dead, just haven't realised it yet and as their brains are deprived of freshly pumped blood are unlikely to.  According to Gospel, Jesus was dead and then came back to life, I find really scary...

The Romans  had strict and sensible laws regarding disposal of the dead and I'm pretty sure Jesus was breaking several of them.  When I'm dead, I intend to do absolutely nothing about the situation, being firmly of the opinion that dead people should stay properly dead and no mucking about.  I'm sure somebody will be along to deal with me eventually, and ensure that I am suitably disposed of in a way consistent with public health and decency, and if not it probably means that I've been offed in a nuclear attack or asteroid strike or something and everyone else is brown bread as well, in which case it won't matter. 

And I for one welcome our new cockroach overloads and pledge to serve them in any way they see fit...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Reg Shoe?

No, no, he was just a zombie, on the side of the forces of law and order at that, one of the good guys.  Zombies feature regularly in my nightmares and hypnopomnic hallucinations, I'm used to them, glad to see these familiar old friends in fact as it means the insides of my eyelids are not going to project anything worse at me.  Zombies are dead, just haven't realised it yet and as their brains are deprived of freshly pumped blood are unlikely to.  According to Gospel, Jesus was dead and then came back to life, I find really scary...

The Romans  had strict and sensible laws regarding disposal of the dead and I'm pretty sure Jesus was breaking several of them.  When I'm dead, I intend to do absolutely nothing about the situation, being firmly of the opinion that dead people should stay properly dead and no mucking about.  I'm sure somebody will be along to deal with me eventually, and ensure that I am suitably disposed of in a way consistent with public health and decency, and if not it probably means that I've been offed in a nuclear attack or asteroid strike or something and everyone else is brown bread as well, in which case it won't matter. 

And I for one welcome our new cockroach overloads and pledge to serve them in any way they see fit...

But when we first met Reg in Reaper Man, he was just an Undead Rights activist.

As for the Romans (what did they ever do for us?), their funary practices were so varied that it would be hard to pin down the rules for a non-Roman citizen in a province well outside Rome, though "without a city wall" would probably satisfy Pontius Pilates box tickers...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

When I'm dead, I intend to do absolutely nothing about the situation, being firmly of the opinion that dead people should stay properly dead and no mucking about.  I'm sure somebody will be along to deal with me eventually, and ensure that I am suitably disposed of in a way consistent with public health and decency, and if not it probably means that I've been offed in a nuclear attack or asteroid strike or something and everyone else is brown bread as well, in which case it won't matter. 

It's being so cheerful that keeps you going, isn't it mate? 😉😁🤣👍

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

5 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

It's being so cheerful that keeps you going, isn't it mate? 😉😁🤣👍

But well balanced too, when you're dead its always Someone Elses Problem!

All you have to do is remember to leave some sort of Will, either to set any surviving relatives at each others throat for decades to come or to keep your hard earned "estate" out of the hands of the Government...

• Agree 4