The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

2 hours ago, AndrueC said:

You should use your indicators when there is someone who could benefit from the information. Otherwise they are just a distraction. An advantage of this strategy is that it encourages you to be more aware of what's going on around you to help determine if anyone needs to be told of your intentions.

Well that's just nonsense because you _will_ miss things around you. Guaranteed.

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

that's where I think you're giving other users of the road short shrift. its not just vehicles that need to know where you're going..

My post also mentions pedestrians. You're nit picking.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Deeps said:

Further comments on indicator use. I regularly look at youtube features by a driving instructor called Ashley Neal. His advice is invariably excellent and if everybody took to the roads using his methods the incidents of accidents would drop dramatically.

Son of Phil Neal of Liverpool fame, I believe.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SHMD said:

I also like the USB points beside the gauge.

Is it to power your phone while it's in "SAT NAV" mode!

Kev.

Are pilots any better at plugging them in first go?

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Airframe hours; engines are bolt-on extras that can be replaced, it is the airframe that is important to airworthiness certification.  Why a pilot would need to know it I'm not sure, but the operator certainly does and so does the CAA or whoever is fulfilling that role.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 27/12/2023 at 00:32, Ozexpatriate said:

RFID tag applied by the store - nothing to do with LEGO.

I had a purchase with a RFID (?) tag from Maplin which was duly deactivated by them so I could exit the store without setting off the alarm, shortly after I went into HMV and it set off their alarm!

It was proved by the security person holding the box and waving it through the detector.

I've even had car key fobs and other things set them off.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

23 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I had a purchase with a RFID (?) tag from Maplin which was duly deactivated by them so I could exit the store without setting off the alarm, shortly after I went into HMV and it set off their alarm!

Most of them are cheap and not 'smart'. Just a little circular antenna - with perhaps a simple foil capacitor to get you out of the shop.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I almost bought one of the signs however the backhoe would have been too much of an added expense!

Most in the UK wouldn't know what a backhoe is.

However mention JCB........

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

It was proved by the security person holding the box and waving it through the detector.

I've even had car key fobs and other things set them off.

Annoying when you get home, go to put the item of clothing on and find the tag is still fitted! Means going back to the store with receipt in hand. Or did I force it off - can't remember!

I did buy something the other day and the cashier spotted a 2nd tag! One for each leg, sleeve?

• Friendly/supportive 2

16 hours ago, 30801 said:

Well that's just nonsense because you _will_ miss things around you. Guaranteed.

My driving instructor (1972) told me that I should only use indicators if there is someone (vehicle or pedestrian) around who would need to know what I was about to do. He advised that I did that on my test as it would show that I was aware of all other road users. I did and passed. These days the roads are so busy that you inevitably have to use them all the time. 

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, 30801 said:

At the Heart Attack Grill. Not so much whacky as entirely accurate.

3228_attack.jpg.139447ddadc2b481306534d6e5bbf8ee.jpg

Yes, not "whacky" at all.

Where is it?

(Asking for a friend...)

Kev.

• Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 30801 said:

At the Heart Attack Grill. Not so much whacky as entirely accurate.

3228_attack.jpg.139447ddadc2b481306534d6e5bbf8ee.jpg

When did ANY take away place ever take cheques (checks), which of course makes it a US place?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Yes, not "whacky" at all.

Where is it?

(Asking for a friend...)

Kev.

Las Vegas (not to be confused with Staly Vegas). It’s an event sort of place, staff dress as Barbara Windsor style nurses and customers wear surgical gowns. OK for a one off bit of fun but having been poked and prodded on a coronary unit I wouldn’t recommend it as a lifestyle. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Hibelroad said:

Las Vegas (not to be confused with Staly Vegas). It’s an event sort of place, staff dress as Barbara Windsor style nurses and customers wear surgical gowns. OK for a one off bit of fun but having been poked and prodded on a coronary unit I wouldn’t recommend it as a lifestyle. 

I actually live in "Staly Vages", (not sure if you knew that or not), but otherwise there are not too many similarities between the too except: -

Greasy cafes; Nightlife (a few remaining Pubs); and some of the weather...

The weather!?!

We just had a tornado.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-67832935

This hit 2 days ago, on the other side of the valley, only about a kilometer from me.

Very localised (short and very violent).

Whilst they had a lot of damage, (I've seen it), we only suffered a loose empty plant pot moving around the garden!

Kev.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hibelroad said:

Another angle on  the place .

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@36.1694908,-115.1409375,3a,53.4y,71.57h,96.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAF1QipO2_DJUkS9OWyb1ICMEFaRln5HdelDmSmle1hWD!2e10!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

• Funny 2