Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

Now I wonder if the saying ''Doing a Larry'' will become legend.....

I do hope so.

e.g.  I don't like this pointwork/bridge/siding/bufferstop, so I'll be 'doing a Larry'.

Wonderful.

What say you Larry?

Dave.

• Like 2

All those years of building and painting the most wonderful coaches and Larry's legacy will be a phrase meaning 'tear it up and start again' :D

I think the majority of us have a certain affinity with tearing stuff up and starting again ;)

Besides, all Larry's tearing up and starting again has had much more of a shock value since what he'd already done was pretty fantastic, and then gets ripped up again.

It is true plenty of us have done it....Kal took ages getting me to agree to tear out the original Goathland on AV after we saw Sasquatchs work....and having researched her on RMweb and finding so many people willing to share how they achieved their results we have used many of their ideas to improve our own.....

Losing Bacup would have been very sad....if you ever have to remove it from the house....you should definitely consider selling it...hopefully in its entirety.....and if you ever sell the house it might be a distinct selling point!!!!!! :sungum: Thankfully with your exhibition experience...rescuing it should not be too difficult..... :butcher: ...... :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

...the WD is traversing the crossover from the main arrival road into the loop alongside the platform. Unfortunately (it appears), a train departing from the platform where the signal is pulled 'off' has first to traverse the same piece of railway (that the WD is crossing over from)

Unfortunately, the signal is incorrectly set as the WD is blocking the exit road from that platform.

I did say I shouldn't comment on signals, and have left my comment to the white space! I spent so much time zooming in to see where points ahead were going, and getting distracted by the way that even more realism jumped out at me from the image, that I completely ignored where the loco was actually coming from, a crossover, not a separate road!

But I'm glad I commented really; as it meant I gave a much longer consderation to such a great image!

Neil

• Like 2

If identifying a problem and doing something about it means 'Doin' a Larry', then I'm flattered.  :biggrin_mini2:

Wot yer working on then Jason.....A layout based on where? Oldham loop? Calder Valley?  Peak District? Godley Junction?   :declare:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A DRS / DBS / Nerwork Rail TMD using a Scenecraft building*

* yeah, right. Only thoughts at the moment but Chris-GNR and I are sorely tempted to have a go at the EM Gauge Society competition to build a layout measuring 5' x 1'6 in it's entirety, with a bloody great mill involved.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

* yeah, right. Only thoughts at the moment but Chris-GNR and I are sorely tempted to have a go at the EM Gauge Society competition to build a layout measuring 5' x 1'6 in it's entirety, with a bloody great mill involved.

You'd better build it, hasn't it already got 2 exhibition bookings?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The depot idea sounds great, although you may find it's been done once or twice before...

Only thoughts at the moment but Chris-GNR and I are sorely tempted to have a go at the EM Gauge Society competition to build a layout measuring 5' x 1'6 in it's entirety, with a bloody great mill involved.

5' x 1'6"?

A BLOODY GREAT MILL?

It might be easiest to fit the rest of the layout inside the mill!

• RMweb Premium

Well, the impression of a bloody great mill really. If it was for me, the whole back of the layout would be a five storey mill 5' long but the rules dictate that the fiddle yard needs to be included in that 5'.

Chris has had some interesting ideas for it too, but we are a long way off starting building it, never mind a thread.

If it happens (and it will......) then it's already scheduled for Goathland and Shipley shows in 2015 and if it's not crap, then I would hope Expo EM North 2015 too. Just need to get started now but with a fast approaching wedding, it's not no.1 priority yet.

I have been working on the pile of wagons for Bacup though; 14 of them to paint, add decals to and weather,

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A mill in two sections with one of those high level connecting bits (H&P factory in Reading is an example) trains run underneath into FY. Seems feasible to me. I still have a box full of EM gauge wheels somewhere, some ply sleepers and rivets. No don't tempt me I have enough projects on the go.

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I did spot the signal but I thought it was for the adjacent road; I see we'll need the director's cut for the mag.

Unless the WD is banking, tender first and not pulling its weight hence the wagon spacing and the photograph was taken just before the signal was returned to danger.

That's what I would claim....

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Unless the WD is banking, tender first and not pulling its weight hence the wagon spacing and the photograph was taken just before the signal was returned to danger.

That's what I would claim....

Andy

That could just happen that could, probably towards the top of the likely scenarios. Sounds like Jason's covered to me.

Totally off topic, but possibly of interest. There was a strange system of working off Bamfurlong Sidings, Wigan for traffic on to the ex-L&YR at Hindley No. 2. The train would epart with a loco, brakevan, train of wagons and another loco at the rear, without a brake in between. This would depart over the Whelley Line and run past De Trafford Junction, where it would reverse on to the spur up to Hindley No. 2, the former train engine now banking up the grade. On joining the L&Y, the erstwhile bank engine would drop off, leaving the train to what had been the banker on starting out, which was often a WD!

• Like 1

Ok, I, throw the towel in.

Jason, your on your own

Andy

Not so fast! The WD is banking a mixed formation: the two vans in the shot are 'swingers'. Perhaps the train engine is a little short of steam and the fireman is hard at work with the pricker; the WD, having just brought in a goods, is buying him some time with which to get the fire up to scratch. Sorted?

Cheers,

BR(W).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Totally off topic, but possibly of interest. There was a strange system of working off Bamfurlong Sidings, Wigan for traffic on to the ex-L&YR at Hindley No. 2. The train would epart with a loco, brakevan, train of wagons and another loco at the rear, without a brake in between. This would depart over the Whelley Line and run past De Trafford Junction, where it would reverse on to the spur up to Hindley No. 2, the former train engine now banking up the grade. On joining the L&Y, the erstwhile bank engine would drop off, leaving the train to what had been the banker on starting out, which was often a WD!

The same happened on the camp hill line where the wash wood Heath to exchange sidings trip working would be banked up from Duddeston Road, past Brickyard crossing and St Andrews junction, past the cross over 50 yards or so past the box and then the banker would become the train engine and take the train back across St. Andrews this time bound for the exchange sidings on the LNWR main line. Can't comment on the position of the brake or brakes.

Andy