Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jason T said:

Does that mean that you can’t see this one Mike, the only one you would approve of? :)

Differentstuff001_zps09e1c0b9.jpg

Well, that's better, shame about the telephone numbers though.

First page still the same for me,if I click on the first picture I get this message.

Screenshot_20230113-143601.png.daaa4efcbe505e694d9022af38100da0.png

Mike

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Not for me.

Mike.

Wonder why? 
The first image in the thread was always an odd one, don’t think it ever displayed properly 

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

And some Bonus ones from my Visit in March 2014.

Best day out, playing Trains and ????

112783573_BacupDayout014-Copy.JPG.e0e6033b8a969b89285c3cf7ebe8ccef.JPG

424900199_BacupDayout077-Copy.JPG.f8a32f977e3f3ce7a7b10b8623e98ef3.JPG

296090041_BacupDayout142.JPG.1170b6d985eaf4d1eeb839cd903555b8.JPG

… pointing at things?

Physicsbodge002_zps496118fc.jpg

• Like 9
  • Funny 2

I'm ashamed to say that I re-discovered this topic novel just yesterday.  I say rediscovered, because 12 years ago I 'liked' one of the early posts! 

Since then I've been going through the build - I'm up to page 6 or so now - but I had to fast-forward to present day because I was terrified the layout may have been cut up or exported! 

This is truly fabulous, I've discovered a lot of the real East Lancashire over the past three years and seeing this wonderful scene instantly transports me there. 

Right, now for a brew and a barm and back to page 7. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/01/2023 at 10:35, 'CHARD said:

I'm ashamed to say that I re-discovered this topic novel just yesterday.  I say rediscovered, because 12 years ago I 'liked' one of the early posts! 

Since then I've been going through the build - I'm up to page 6 or so now - but I had to fast-forward to present day because I was terrified the layout may have been cut up or exported! 

This is truly fabulous, I've discovered a lot of the real East Lancashire over the past three years and seeing this wonderful scene instantly transports me there. 

Right, now for a brew and a barm and back to page 7. 

To be honest, the thread had slipped way down the list of topics until I posted the other day.

Spoiler alert: the layout is no more as I no longer had space for it; interests changed slightly too and the draw of the EMGS 60th anniversary competition to build a full layout in 5’ by 18” was too great (another spoiler: our layout, The Mill - thread is in the Industrial Railways sub-folder - won).

If you look at The Mill though, you’ll notice that the architectural style doesn’t differ much from Bacup although I’d like to think that I stepped it up a few notches.

The Mill still exists and fingers crossed, I would like to get it back out on the exhibition circuit at some point.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
On 14/01/2023 at 10:53, lmsforever said:

Fantastic  wow  and other exclamations  this is some layout thanks for sharing.

Thanks. As can be seen (if anyone has the patience to read through so many pages), it really was a case of learning as I went along :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/01/2023 at 13:32, AY Mod said:

As scant recompense for the disappeared images I thought I'd dig out the pics from years ago.

Feature22.jpgFeature21.jpgFeature20.jpgFeature19.jpgFeature18.jpgFeature17.jpgFeature16.jpgFeature15.jpgFeature14.jpgFeature13.jpgFeature12.jpgFeature11.jpgFeature10.jpgFeature9.jpgFeature8.jpgFeature7.jpgFeature6.jpgFeature5.jpgFeature4.jpgFeature3.jpgFeature2.jpgFeature1.jpgDetail18.jpgDetail17.jpgDetail16.jpgDetail15.jpgDetail14.jpgDetail13.jpgDetail12.jpgDetail11.jpgDetail10.jpgDetail9.jpgDetail8.jpgDetail7.jpgDetail6.jpgDetail5.jpgDetail4.jpgDetail3.jpgDetail2.jpgDetail1.jpgBacup_Detail_1.jpgFeature23.jpg

They earn a craftmanship/clever for both builder and photographer

Don

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, Jason T said:

To be honest, the thread had slipped way down the list of topics until I posted the other day.

Spoiler alert: the layout is no more as I no longer had space for it; interests changed slightly too and the draw of the EMGS 60th anniversary competition to build a full layout in 5’ by 18” was too great (another spoiler: our layout, The Mill - thread is in the Industrial Railways sub-folder - won).

If you look at The Mill though, you’ll notice that the architectural style doesn’t differ much from Bacup although I’d like to think that I stepped it up a few notches.

The Mill still exists and fingers crossed, I would like to get it back out on the exhibition circuit at some point.

Jason

I saw Bacup pop up in my "following list" and got excited that the layout had been resurrected; I remember you saying you had saved the majority of the buildings and hoped.
Sadly they are only historic photos of this magnificent layout and it is still no more! 😪

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, gz3xzf said:

Jason

I saw Bacup pop up in my "following list" and got excited that the layout had been resurrected; I remember you saying you had saved the majority of the buildings and hoped.
Sadly they are only historic photos of this magnificent layout and it is still no more! 😪

You could argue that it mimics real life as in the railway is no more but the majority of buildings remain intact!

One thing rejuvenating the thread has done is make me realise just how much I love creating buildings and as such, I bought a few A1 sheets of mounting board on Saturday and started to create a building that I have wanted to model for ever, Sandside Railway Station (demolished in the late 60’s).

I will probably start a thread for it in the Scenery, Structures and Transport sub-forum but it’s one complex structure and quite unique so is already proving to be one hell of a challenge.

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The time has come…

When I broke Bacup up, I saved almost all the buildings with a view to reusing them on a future layout but as some of you may have seen, my plans have now been set on modelling Sandside in South Cumbria and as such, not one of the saved buildings is suitable (plus, I love making buildings).

For the last few years, all the buildings were stored in the attic of our house in Bingley but with that now being sold, I had to retrieve them and have nowhere to store them. As such, they are up for grabs.

The signalbox is staying with me (unless I get a silly offer for it - it’s basically a standard L&Y box, based on the one at Hebden Bridge). The large mill that sat at the back is no more; it warped and regardless, the chimney is now in use on The Mill and I plan to keep that layout.

The outhouses for the houses are gone.

The station canopy has suffered, losing quite a few of its columns but to be honest, they were the weakest link in the structure anyway.

So what we are talking about here is all the houses, smaller mills, goods shed (based on the one at Waterfoot), station building and canopy, and any others (couple of shops).

Note: they are not plop on RTR buildings by any means and many were built to fit into the topography and baseboard angles (e.g. 3D low relief with what may seem like odd angles). What they are is basically a town of bespoke buildings based on prototypes in East Lancashire, mainly in and around Bacup.

I would rather they went to someone / a club who would put them to good use rather than some dweeb who would put them on their carpet and run a Class 66 hauling teak coaches past them 😃

So, is anyone interested or know someone/a club who may be?

DM me if you are.

Thanks,

Jason

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Its unfortunate that you had to break up Bacup. I rarely find urban layouts terribly convincing but Bacup captured perfectly the atmosphere of a Lancashire mill town in the 1960s with its characteristic, but run down houses and mills. I'd rank it alongside Buckingham, Copenhagen Fields, the late Iain Rice's creations and the other greats of the model railway world. I'm very glad you've restored some of the photos of it.

Thanks

David C

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Well that didn’t take long, buildings are off to a good home.

Thanks David, praise indeed. It was a shame to dismantle the layout but onwards and upwards; I just hope the next one meets expectations 

• Like 5