Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

Excellent Jason.......but......I can't help but feel......it needs some......clowns...........zoo animals.......and graffiti though........ ;-p

(and lots of unnecessary full stops)

Chris. Do you know you just typed that... Not just thought that.

Jason. Fantastic photos. Very real.

Andy

Jason, those weathered 16T wagons in the first photo are awesome! Funnily enough, considering Andy's recent post, it was that beautiful and realistic image of the Black5 under the canopy that first attracted me to this thread!! I've learned so much from this and the thread on the production of your buildings and I am truly grateful!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi, Jason. That is what a Stanier tender should look like, and I've done several of these conversions myself. The loco' itself will be even more interesting! Well done, very expert workmanship.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

I guess the biggest differences visually (when painted) will be the tender front, the fire iron tunnel and the lifting rings. Oh, and the removal of that bloody stupid shelf :)

I wish they'd included enough parts for two sets of lifting rings as I'd now like to add them to, well, all my Stanier tenders.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jason,
Nice work there. I have a Hornby one semi converted (shelf and front end modified) but now it looks like I need to finish that one and the others off.

Baz
PS did you use the Judith Edge etchings to add details to the 21T hoppers?

Edited by Barry O

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Jason,

It took me a couple of weeks to read the whole topic back-to-front and then front-to-back again. But it was well worth it!
The layout is absolutely stunning and I've learned loads reading through all the pages. I can't wait to build a row of grotty looking houses..

Any chance of showing a step-by-step of you weathering, because yours is a piece of art as well!?

Keep up the great work!

Edwin

so, now back to catching up with the rest of rmweb :blink:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi, thanks for the compliments; I just think of it as my big trainset (as opposed to the little train set, The Mill).

I do have some more weathering to do shortly so will try and remember to take some photos as I go along.

Cheers,

Jason.

• Like 1

It took me a couple of weeks to read the whole topic back-to-front and then front-to-back again. But it was well worth it!

The layout is absolutely stunning and I've learned loads reading through all the pages.

I concur with that. It's a fantastic layout.

It has for me, made me look at what I want to build in a model railway, in a big way. Not only has the model got its railway element, but also a fantastic architectural part, which I have realised I have massive interest in modelling. Like Edwin there are many techniques I've pick up from this thread, so many thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jason, just spent the last fortnight nearly reading your epic whilst recovering from a heart attack, ha,ha! No, REALLY! It is truly amazing! I cannot believe railway modelling is so underrated, undervalued. It is to my mind, an art form, fine art at that , in 3D. There should be a Royal Academy for railway Modelling, and Bacup would be right up there with the very best. Keep up the good work and don't let anyone tell you it's not fine scale! Fine scale to me is not just about P4 and Scaleseven! You have proved it.

Regards Les

PS. Congrats on the marriage - it's the first 20 years are the worst then it's all downhill! Ha,ha

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hi Les, and thanks for the very kind comments. I'm ashamed to admit that currently, the layout has become a bit of a shelf for The Mill, with EM gauge wagons plonked unceremoniously in the goods yard (I tried to sit them n the track and unsurprisingly, that didn't work too well), paint tins and glue pots on the roads and sheets of Plastikard wherever they can fit. The Mill will soon be off to Chris's house so he can get on with a few tasks (I currently need the full layout in order to construct the buildings) and when that happens, Bacup will be getting a spruce up and a bit of usage again, including finishing off some locos and stock for it.

The Black Five above hasn't moved on at all as we have a deadline to meet with The Mill (competition entry goes in before the 17th May) but as some of the EM wagons could, with a wheel swap and not looking too closely at the brakes, be used for Bacup, then I suppose I have been doing some bits for it :)

Cheers,

Jason.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Most definitely mate, at least for a few more years. I have put far too much effort into it and am still chuffed to bits with it.

It's replacement will be years in the making and will be on much shorter, transportable boards (so it can be exhibited) so can be built separately and stored underneath Bacup.

• Like 9

Jason that was my idea for OO to be the open the box and run. The years ahead to build a p4 layout and store under th OO layout. It has been about 5 years on the OO and the p4 kit building has been going a lot longer than that! No layout yet though just the rolling stock!