Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

Damn damn damn - that bus was the last leg of my journey home from school for 9 years - got to have it but on my layout it would be nearly 10 miles off its route .......

Edit - make that WILL be .....

Edited by Chimer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ooh, will be ordering one of those; more apt than the current Ribble bus that has been sat outside the shop for the past four years ;)

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

At the moment, Bacup is split into it's separate boards with all the buildings packed away as the new house doesn't have anywhere to put it up. However, at some point a shed will be built and Bacup will live again, possibly in EM (I kept all the Templot files so can adjust them and start building new turnouts if that is the intended route) and most definitely on trestles rather than the cumbersome legs, which will raise it up to a decent operating height.

• Like 10

At the moment, Bacup is split into it's separate boards with all the buildings packed away as the new house doesn't have anywhere to put it up. However, at some point a shed will be built and Bacup will live again, possibly in EM (I kept all the Templot files so can adjust them and start building new turnouts if that is the intended route) and most definitely on trestles rather than the cumbersome legs, which will raise it up to a decent operating height.

EM eh, just so you can lift another trophy at EXPO EM North!

Missed you at Wakefield, Chris said you were on baby watching duties....

All the best,

Dave Franks.

Just been looking through some of the past photos on your thread.

Wow! Its one of the best layouts ive seen!

My late grandparents lived in bradford,so when i was visiting every fortnight id notice parts of walls/buildings etc still had that old sooty grot,which youve achieved on bacup.

Really is a stunning representation of west yorkshire.

Cheers

Ben

• RMweb Premium

Was chatting about that with Chris in the pub on Saturday, mainly on how much effort would be involved. It's not out of the question but as a starter for ten:

Last scenic board changed from curved exit to fiddle yard to a straight run, meaning new buildings and scenery as well as a possible reconfiguration of the track at the station throat and goods yard. This would be a positive as the goods yard could be extended, have a couple more sidings. Bacup's goods yard was sizeable and included a goods loop off the Bury line which I had to miss off as the turnout would have been a much tighter radius than the 1:7 minimum I went for. It would also mean I could include the large warehouse.

Control would need to be moved to the back of the layout rather than the front, which would mean remote uncoupling rather than three links. As most uncouplers are (in my opinion) ungainly, I would opt for AJ's and electro-magnets. Uncoupling on the run-round would be difficult as the station canopy would block the view somewhat.

Which leads neatly onto stock. I have every intention of converting some (if not all) stock to EM at some point and in fact already have quite a few wagons in EM built for The Mill. Thing is, the standard of wagons I built for The Mill far out-surpass those built / bought / weathered for Bacup; little things like brake rigging, not really knowing much about the wagons, etc. I have already converted and tarted up a few of Bacup's wagons (spare brake rigging in Parkside kits is really beneficial) and they now have OO wheels and the brakes set for EM (doesn't really show when looking side on - a few of the new Bachmann releases have their brakes set to EM width already, e.g. The Covhops).

Coaches and DMU's are easy enough to convert but the thought of converting the suitable (for the location) locos is a bit daunting; 15 currently.

Finally, if it was exhibitable, it may not be practical for home use although that doesn't really bother me as I much prefer building stuff to operating at home. I start playing trains and within 30 minutes, find myself at the workbench tinkering with something. Additionally, I enjoy operating The Mill just as much as Bacup, despite it being a quarter of the length and with only three real sidings (all very short).

So never say never, but it will be a long term project if it happens and Chris will be roped in to help :)

• Like 8

Was chatting about that with Chris in the pub on Saturday, mainly on how much effort would be involved. It's not out of the question but as a starter for ten:

Last scenic board changed from curved exit to fiddle yard to a straight run, meaning new buildings and scenery as well as a possible reconfiguration of the track at the station throat and goods yard. This would be a positive as the goods yard could be extended, have a couple more sidings. Bacup's goods yard was sizeable and included a goods loop off the Bury line which I had to miss off as the turnout would have been a much tighter radius than the 1:7 minimum I went for. It would also mean I could include the large warehouse.

Control would need to be moved to the back of the layout rather than the front, which would mean remote uncoupling rather than three links. As most uncouplers are (in my opinion) ungainly, I would opt for AJ's and electro-magnets. Uncoupling on the run-round would be difficult as the station canopy would block the view somewhat.

Which leads neatly onto stock. I have every intention of converting some (if not all) stock to EM at some point and in fact already have quite a few wagons in EM built for The Mill. Thing is, the standard of wagons I built for The Mill far out-surpass those built / bought / weathered for Bacup; little things like brake rigging, not really knowing much about the wagons, etc. I have already converted and tarted up a few of Bacup's wagons (spare brake rigging in Parkside kits is really beneficial) and they now have OO wheels and the brakes set for EM (doesn't really show when looking side on - a few of the new Bachmann releases have their brakes set to EM width already, e.g. The Covhops).

Coaches and DMU's are easy enough to convert but the thought of converting the suitable (for the location) locos is a bit daunting; 15 currently.

Finally, if it was exhibitable, it may not be practical for home use although that doesn't really bother me as I much prefer building stuff to operating at home. I start playing trains and within 30 minutes, find myself at the workbench tinkering with something. Additionally, I enjoy operating The Mill just as much as Bacup, despite it being a quarter of the length and with only three real sidings (all very short).

So never say never, but it will be a long term project if it happens and Chris will be roped in to help :)

Jason,

So it won't be ready for expoEM North next year then  :nono: :nono:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You know you can always cadge some logos from your mates when your ready, Victorian North Eastern or is it great northern... Edwardian industrials, pre grouping LNWR. (Oh they may be P4 - without flanges). We can pull something together...

Andy

• Like 1

You know you can always cadge some logos from your mates when your ready, Victorian North Eastern or is it great northern... Edwardian industrials, pre grouping LNWR. (Oh they may be P4 - without flanges). We can pull something together...

Andy

Could even get some of those big blue boxes with to many wheels to run on it.........

• 1 month later...