The changing face of Bristol

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of things springing up in Bristol I have recently noticed several polytunnels(?)

on the site of Bath Road depot, I have not seen them mentioned before, does anyone know what they are for?

cheers

No, but I have heard that something might eventually be happening on that site after all these years.

But don't hold your breath - this is Bristol we're talking about here - nothing worthwhile ever happens quickly...

• Like 4

On the subject of things springing up in Bristol I have recently noticed several polytunnels(?)

on the site of Bath Road depot, I have not seen them mentioned before, does anyone know what they are for?

cheers

Are they transparent polytunnels or opaque? I saw similar structures on the site of the old La Plaine diesel depot in Paris. I asked my sister, who's done a lot of reclamation projects on very polluted industrial sites (Saltley Gasworks, for example), what they might be. She explained that the contaminated top-soil is heaped up, treated with bacteria that 'eat' the contaminants, and covered with plastic to keep the temperature at a level which encourages the microbes to function.
  • Like 4

Are they transparent polytunnels or opaque? I saw similar structures on the site of the old La Plaine diesel depot in Paris. I asked my sister, who's done a lot of reclamation projects on very polluted industrial sites (Saltley Gasworks, for example), what they might be. She explained that the contaminated top-soil is heaped up, treated with bacteria that 'eat' the contaminants, and covered with plastic to keep the temperature at a level which encourages the microbes to function.

I thought they'd finished clearing & decontaminating the Bath Road site years ago. It was just the usual political inaction in Bristol that means nothing else has happened since!

I don't think you can see through them, so look to be opaque.

They seem to be arranged like spokes of a wheel, and I thought they might be surrounding the site of one of the old turntables.

I too thought the site had been processed, but your suggestion does seem a possible explanation.

cheers

I love the bit of art surrounded by safety fencing to really finish it off - just incase they didnt see it and tripped over it!!

Nah.  It's Bristol.  The fence is there to stop the locals from nicking it.  Not that they won't be able to get through the fence, they'll just take it in preference to the artwork :D.

• 3 weeks later...

Now in the 40 years I've being using Temple Meads, I don't think I've seen more than half a dozen freights pass thru.

Today I arrived at 0845, had a cup of coffee on the platform whilst engaging in a telephone conference and saw 2 coal trains, an empty car train, a loaded freightliner and a light engine within 30 minutes - amazing !

That old PO building REALLY needs removing - what an eyesore !

• Like 2

There's quite a bit of freight through Temple Meads at the moment - all the Portbury traffic, containers to/from Parson St, and the Teignbridge logs. One working that surprised me recently, though, was 10 EWS 66s coupled together heading down through Stapleton Road. I felt sorry for the signalmen in any Absolute Block sections it passed.

Incidentally,there are changes at Stapleton Road right now: the ex-GWR footbridge is about to be demolished and replaced as part of the electrification work. It's been rather decrepit for a while, with no roof and replacement stairs, and will be gone in a few weeks, after its replacement is in. Work on the foundations of the new bridge has been ongoing for a couple of weeks.

• 1 month later...

My pictures of the "plant" outside the old station are now historic, the staff association building has been demolished!

The Railway Club suffered a lingering death. 

I played skittles there for over 25 years, after redundancy it was a good way of keeping in touch with colleagues.

In later years it lost trade for a variety of reasons, and became very run down,

cheers (not)

• RMweb Premium

It's good to hear of any progress, but I see there's threat that the station might not be located as close to the town centre as was hoped. A road was built across the trackbed in expectation that the reopened railway would be able to cross it on the level, but that is no longer acceptable and a bridge would cost £6 million.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Gold

My pictures of the "plant" outside the old station are now historic, the staff association building has been demolished!

Indeed it has!

post-57-0-04449900-1366877670.jpg

Although I've also been in there, albeit many years ago, it never added anything to the station, architecturally, and it's demolition is really a merciful release for all concerned.

I wonder if the old tram lines are still there, underneath it's old concrete base?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some more images of the site of the former Staff Association at Temple Meads. Note the replacement capping stones:

post-57-0-12343400-1368286785.jpg

post-57-0-66152900-1368286794.jpg

post-57-0-56966000-1368286804.jpg

post-57-0-45756000-1368286815.jpg

Also, this beast has been sat in '15 Siding' at Bristol TM for a day or so:

post-57-0-57495100-1368286847.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...