The changing face of Bristol

What you see below is probably the worst photo posted on RMweb. It was grabbed hastily from the back cab of a 153 leaving Avonmouth the other day. Some clearance of vegetation has been taking place on the industrial grounf alongside the station and the old turntable pit has appeared from it.

post-15-0-08131700-1393919867_thumb.jpg

What you see below is probably the worst photo posted on RMweb. It was grabbed hastily from the back cab of a 153 leaving Avonmouth the other day. Some clearance of vegetation has been taking place on the industrial grounf alongside the station and the old turntable pit has appeared from it.

The Bricks are, I believe, destined for the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway where they will be used to rebuild Broadway station buildings.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Bricks are, I believe, destined for the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway where they will be used to rebuild Broadway station buildings.

When I went past yesterday, work had already started on removing the brickwork. Not a good location to photograph as it is a little way off the end of platform and I need to be ready to open doors, or have just set off at that point.

They certainly will be, you can follow the Broadway (&Cheltenham Racecourse) progress blogs via here:

http://broadwaygwsr.blogspot.co.uk/

I was going to say to you when I saw you, but I forgot.

Any ideas about this, I assume there was a shed and depot there for the docks ?

Can't find any pictures of it and the 1921 survey shows it on a spur from the bay platform and no other facilities. It's not very big, maybe 50' at most and there was a triangle that could have been used for turning, the present sharp curve to St Andrew's Rd crossing was one chord.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So it's been a while, but I noticed the other day that work has begun at Bristol Temple Meads, with the cladding removed from the old Post Office walkway and if I remember correctly, demolition is due to happen during Christmas. From that point on I believe the work to relay & re-signal BTM, including taking the old box out of service and bringing the old Brunel platforms back into use, finally kicks off.

So it's been a while, but I noticed the other day that work has begun at Bristol Temple Meads, with the cladding removed from the old Post Office walkway and if I remember correctly, demolition is due to happen during Christmas. From that point on I believe the work to relay & re-signal BTM, including taking the old box out of service and bringing the old Brunel platforms back into use, finally kicks off.

This was from ITV West, on the demolition of the conveyor way.

http://www.itv.com/news/west/update/201 ... -the-west/

• RMweb Gold

The re-signalling will cover Bristol TM eastwards, south-west of Bristol TM it looks like a re-control to an alternative location, once it becomes necessary to demolish the panel itself. The relaying is of Bristol East Jct only, which is going to be a big job in itself. The new layout there is tied-into the ongoing work on Filton Bank and also - in due course - the works in the old trainshed. Refurbishment work on the major Digby-Wyatt curved overall roof starts soon as well.

• Like 1

It was announced on Radio Bristol the other day that the mail 'bridge' would be removed over the Christmas period. At last there will once again be an uninterrupted view of the eastern side of the station. Even electric catenary can't be as hideous as that thing was! Good aerial shots, those are. 

Edited by Coppercap

These are from a flickr photostream taken by a quadcopter of the work by those big cranes. They present a different view of the work.

I didn't realise the work on Cattle Market Rd. was quite so involved, but at least something is finally happening.

With the conveyor way gone now all they need to do is raze the old Post Office building to the ground...

• RMweb Gold

Looks like something going on at the Down end of TM?

Nothing significant as regards the railway side of the fence. There is a possession on-going, started after the last trains on Christmas Eve and will be given up before the first booked trains tomorrow morning.

• RMweb Premium

I always remember standing on platform 12 watching the murmuration of starlings swarming around the old post office building at dusk. Don't see that so much these days unless you're down on the levels.

Edit: give it it's proper name.

Edited by ullypug
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This has just been posted on the "Bristol then and now Photographs" Facebook page, several railway ones have been recently surfacing, and may be of interest to RMwebbers.

It's a high level view of Lawrence Hill taken in the 1960s and a remarkable shot in that it shows the extent of the sidings there. Unfortunately no "now" photograph as the vantage point has been demolished.

Note the former Midland line in the foreground.

Neilpost-6925-0-31357700-1420732934_thumb.jpg

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 9