The changing face of Bristol

The list of Grade 1 Listed buildings is interesting but there seem to be some oddities: why have the houses in Portland Square been listed but none of Bristol's other numerous Georgian town houses? (on reflection perhaps it was an emergency measure to protect them from threatened demolition).

More that they are the oldest Georgian part of Bristol, I think, that is still relatively complete - although not in very good condition. Here's a picture of some of the buildings that are listed but officially considered At Risk: http://www.flickr.com/photos/forest_pines/9776308182/

And the Avon Bridge in Whitby Road. Do they mean the railway bridge? What is special about it?

I've tried to get a photo of the Brunel Tudor arch that lurks beneath the main lines, surrounded by later bridgeson both sides: http://www.flickr.com/photos/forest_pines/6700890823/in/set-72157605457268804/

Once when walking nearby I saw 4 police motorcyclist accompanying 2 Seddon Atkinson Security vans, they were huge and quite heavily armoured, and the police were clearing the traffic so they never stopped. I had never seen anything like it so presumably these were transferring Bullion

• RMweb Gold

These pictures really show some differences, see how many you can spot! And i'm not just talking about the classic car collection....

attachicon.gifBristol Temple Meads 29 May 1978 127-3.jpg

attachicon.gifBristol Temple Meads 29 May 1978 127-2.jpg

attachicon.gifBristol Temple Meads 29 May 1978 127-1.jpg

Some big changes since then - the footbridge has gone so you can't get comparative viewpoints, the Staff Association building and shop on the corner have gone, the Civil Engineers's block next to the B&E building has gone; and that's just the biggies.

Some big changes since then - the footbridge has gone so you can't get comparative viewpoints, the Staff Association building and shop on the corner have gone, the Civil Engineers's block next to the B&E building has gone; and that's just the biggies.

The Red Star parcels building has gone.

• RMweb Premium

Enjoyed viewing the Bristol photos from the 1978 period when I was a student in Bristol.

What you can't see in the Bath Rd depot shots is the last Metro-Vick Co-Bo which was in a siding visible only from the river side.

The city docks & Wapping area were also fascinating with the timberyards, Hill's shipyard & trains to the coal depot, all long gone.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

I can remember going into the GW staff association place for a pint a few years ago. Cant remember why I was in Bristol that day but I was with another railway colleague who's name also escapes me now.

It must have been quite close to its closure, ive been in some rough looking places in my time but that place really was in a terrible state!

Shame it was allowed to get so run down and uncared for.

• RMweb Gold

Another thanks to Tim V for his 1970s central Bristol pics. Schoolboy trips to Temple Meads by bike were almost a weekly event, and what has struck me is how quiet the roads were. The same areas now would have at least ten times the traffic.

Neil

What used to frustrate me, and doubtless many others, was that buses shown as stopping 'at' Temple Meads used to stop on Bath Road, which then meant a long trek up bank to the station itself. Fortunately, I lived closer to Montpelier, and then Clifton Down, stations, so could catch the Severn Beach train, but others weren't so fortunate.

The stations, both the GWR and B&E ones, are incredible; they'd have been suitable departure points for the Hogwarts Express, I'm certain. Even during the early-mid 1970s, certain standards prevailed there; I saw the stationmaster wearing top-hat and frock-coat on several occasions.

The stations, both the GWR and B&E ones, are incredible; they'd have been suitable departure points for the Hogwarts Express, I'm certain. Even during the early-mid 1970s, certain standards prevailed there; I saw the stationmaster wearing top-hat and frock-coat on several occasions.

In the late 1970s Area Manager Alan Childs would sometimes supervise the morning rush hour with his bowler hat on.

He was irreverently referred to as the 'flour grader' (after the Homepride adverts of the time),

cheers 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

In the late 1970s Area Manager Alan Childs would sometimes supervise the morning rush hour with his bowler hat on.

He was irreverently referred to as the 'flour grader' (after the Homepride adverts of the time),

cheers 

Alas it was a peril of the job that such an appellation would be given to those of us who wore that particular item on our heads as part of our uniform.  I had very mixed feelings when mine was nicked (and never returned) ;) 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to be late in with this but the Bank of England building behind/next to the old NU building was a cash handling centre. When I was based in Corn Street I used to be involved with the cash run where we paid in and withdrew notes and coins at the BoE premises. Securicor used to handle the shipment of cash, staff from my bank had to be present to check the shipments. It used to be, IIRC, 4 or 5 vans at a time giving us up to £25m in each direction per run. We did 2 or 3 runs a week, more at Christmas. We had our own cash handling centre that dealt with making up the cash shipments from all the branches.

Security was very high, all entries to the cash/bullion handling area was 'airlocked' and anyone entering had to sign in having been named prior to the drop.

Sorry to be late in with this but the Bank of England building behind/next to the old NU building was a cash handling centre. When I was based in Corn Street I used to be involved with the cash run where we paid in and withdrew notes and coins at the BoE premises. Securicor used to handle the shipment of cash, staff from my bank had to be present to check the shipments. It used to be, IIRC, 4 or 5 vans at a time giving us up to £25m in each direction per run. We did 2 or 3 runs a week, more at Christmas. We had our own cash handling centre that dealt with making up the cash shipments from all the branches.

Security was very high, all entries to the cash/bullion handling area was 'airlocked' and anyone entering had to sign in having been named prior to the drop.

Out of interest, which bank did you work for in Corn Street? In my student days, when cash and credit cards were barely known, my home branch of National Westminster set up an 'arrangement' with the Corn St branch for me to draw cash. I was somewhat taken aback to see how grand the building, and its interior, were; something of a contrast to Stepney St, Llanelli.

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this picture, very rare to find no stock in front of the former box. Now try and work out which buildings still survive in this picture, I make it one, and that one is due for demolition!

post-7177-0-16197400-1389807348_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Out of interest, which bank did you work for in Corn Street? In my student days, when cash and credit cards were barely known, my home branch of National Westminster set up an 'arrangement' with the Corn St branch for me to draw cash. I was somewhat taken aback to see how grand the building, and its interior, were; something of a contrast to Stepney St, Llanelli.

I'm a bit ashamed to admit to having worked for Barclays. Best day was when they made me redundant ...

Corn Street in Bristol was the home of the bank's regional offices (called Local Head Office in those days) and they were all very grand buildings, high ceilings, intricate carvings and plasterwork with gilded decoration in some. Very much showing the extravagances that the employers lavished on property in the days they were built in the 18th and 19th Centuries.

There are also the 'nails' outside the exchange building where trade would have been carried out. I am led to believe that this type of trading gave rise to the expression 'on the nail' meaning immediate payment.

Of course Bristol was very much a trading city with a very busy port and built on the slave trade and later on tobacco.

Edited by Richard E

Just found this picture, very rare to find no stock in front of the former box. Now try and work out which buildings still survive in this picture, I make it one, and that one is due for demolition!

What a great photo!

I reckon there are two buildings still standing (apart from those on the horizon),

To the left of the Clerical Medical Building can we just make out the top of the Lead Shot Tower?

cheers

Well, the Clerical Medical building has been demolished!

The only one I could see (and I hadn't spotted the lead shot tower) surviving is the Bristol Power Box on the extreme left (unless it isn't)!

Yup, that's the Lead Shot tower, just. Bristol Power Box is still there now, but check back in a year or two and it'll be gone, too!

Surely if that's the Clerical Medical buildings then the brick warehouses between it & the box must be Gardner Haskins?

Yup, that's the Lead Shot tower, just. Bristol Power Box is still there now, but check back in a year or two and it'll be gone, too!

Surely if that's the Clerical Medical buildings then the brick warehouses between it & the box must be Gardner Haskins?

Gardner Haskins is round to the right, out of shot.

I could be wrong, but I think it's only disappeared in the last year or so.

Closed a couple of years ago, but demolished only in the last few months. Poor management, indifferent service, poor food, appalling toilets, the fact in was no cheaper than the pub over the road and with a Wetherspoons a close distance away, all contributed to it's closure. Other railway clubs are so much better, so I still pay my 16p per week membership.