The changing face of Bristol

These are the ones that will bring London's rubbish to run a 'power from waste' incinerator, I believe.

I wonder why the incinerator couldn't be built in London, to save them the bother of carting all their rubbish to Severn Beach? Don't they use electricity in London?!

I wonder why the incinerator couldn't be built in London, to save them the bother of carting all their rubbish to Severn Beach? Don't they use electricity in London?!

I suspect it's also taking the rubbish from the three terminals that were built to forward Avon's waste to Calvert. What I find odd is that they are building such a plant in the west, when prevailing winds will carry the smoke eastwards towards the Thames Valley, rather than building something along the Thames Estuary, east of London.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect it's also taking the rubbish from the three terminals that were built to forward Avon's waste to Calvert. What I find odd is that they are building such a plant in the west, when prevailing winds will carry the smoke eastwards towards the Thames Valley, rather than building something along the Thames Estuary, east of London.

Maybe it's a West Country idea designed to send London's waste back to them in modified form?

BTW where exactly is it - presumably somewhere around the old Severnside site?

slightly off topic, but corey environmental have an energy from waste site in east London near belvedere/Erith, and also there is now an energy from waste site at Calvert(I live about 3 miles from it). I was next door to the Severn one last week and it looks huge, though talking to the guys next door they say it will only just produce enough energy to power itself let alone much for the national grid. Was interesting to see the siding access being created next to the road near severn beach

I suspect that in the latter case Belgium and The Netherlands might complain.

• RMweb Premium

There was such a power station proposed here about 15-20 years ago. There was strong opposition to it but our former MP, who had debunked to a safer seat a few miles to the east when it became obvious that he was going to lose, fully supported the idea. At a meeting with regard to the proposition he stood up and spoke up in favour of placing the power station as the chimney would be of such a height as to distribute the fumes well downwind. However the following speaker then pointed out that his 'safe' seat was directly downwind of the proposed power station much to his chagrin.

Edited by PhilJ W

It's on the old ICI Severnside site, at the Chittening end; there's already one power station at that end.

I trust that the stack emissions will be dyed orange to preserve the visual heritage of the site ;).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's on the old ICI Severnside site, at the Chittening end; there's already one power station at that end.

Exactly so, and the former Exchange Sidings and the branch into the works is being rebuilt on virtually exactly the same formation. These days, however, access will be via an electric ground frame on the site. The whole site is due to be commissioned and ready for rail traffic in one months time.

Exactly so, and the former Exchange Sidings and the branch into the works is being rebuilt on virtually exactly the same formation. These days, however, access will be via an electric ground frame on the site. The whole site is due to be commissioned and ready for rail traffic in one months time.

I remember, when working in Avonmouth some 40 years ago, that the series of sidings on the approach to Severn Beach station would be full of rakes of Vanfits for months on end, reserved for the seasonal fertiliser traffic. 

• Like 2

I remember, when working in Avonmouth some 40 years ago, that the series of sidings on the approach to Severn Beach station would be full of rakes of Vanfits for months on end, reserved for the seasonal fertiliser traffic. 

And some time later, probably early 1980s, for a while air braked opens were sent there to be swept out by BR staff ready for loading from the PBA,

until some of the local Ne'er Do Wells came along and dropped all the doors. That arrangment and the traffic (imported sugar to Tuxford) did not last long,

cheers 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yes, the footbridge at Shockerwick went last summer during the Box Tunnel blockade. Apparently there was once a level crossing here, and looking at the bridge it appears that the span is later than the steps.

One curious feature of the bridge which is visible in both photos, but clearer in the second, is that the supports for the handrails are on the outside of the railings. Did the GWR have standard parts and either used them with or without handrails? It was quite a talking point years ago I remember when we hiked from Bath to Chippenham with a group of Scouts and walked across it.

Nice to see the photos, Tim, preserving it on here for the future.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I see in Real Time Trains that the Severnside refuse trains are scheduled from April 11 to start running via Clifton Down. The first scheduled freight on the line for several decades, I should think.

I wonder how I'll feel about them rumbling past my house at half past five in the morning.

I see in Real Time Trains that the Severnside refuse trains are scheduled from April 11 to start running via Clifton Down. The first scheduled freight on the line for several decades, I should think.

I wonder how I'll feel about them rumbling past my house at half past five in the morning.

Yes, barring some engineering trains, and the occasional emergency diversion I would say the early 1980s would have been the last regular freights via Clifton Down. 6C36 12.10 Swindon - Severn Tunnel Speedlink service went that way for a few months in 1981.

cheers

I was flying around Bristol on Saturday, I did see the new sidings at Avonmouth but didn't manage to get a picture, I did however take some others while I was up there which may be of interest. I have posted them on another thread but this one seems more appropriate.

If I go up there again I'll try and get some of the refuse sidings..

post-6849-0-55028900-1459771397.jpg

post-6849-0-20269800-1459771412.jpg

post-6849-0-11334600-1459771425.jpg

• Like 18

The first passenger train of the day goes through Clifton at half 5. 2K00 05:14 off Temple Meads.

According to Real Time Trains the Severnside train is timed to cross 2K00 at Avonmouth and 2K02 at Clifton Down.

So that would be empties. Not too much noise for Mr Kirkham then :sungum:

I worked 2K00 yesterday morning and thought there was much work still to do. Up there next on 2K24 on Thursday, if I have a TE with me, I will try to get some pictures.

Edited by JZ