The changing face of Bristol

Today's late notices mentions the signal and ground frame being installed this Sunday, 10th April, but will be bagged, locked.

Got some pictures as I went past. Not the best, but leaning out the back cab window of a 150 doesn't lend itself to good photography.

post-15-0-65067400-1460042234_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-84854800-1460042242_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-76251500-1460042249_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-43735000-1460042254_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-95068800-1460042262_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-48449200-1460042268_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-61941900-1460042275_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-50928600-1460042281_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-92625100-1460042292_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-47285300-1460042298_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-00903800-1460042304_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-59029100-1460042312_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-72144500-1460042319_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-47165500-1460042325_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-02262400-1460042337_thumb.jpg

As can be seen, much work still to do regarding track laying. I think you can sleep soundly for a few more nights, Andy.

post-15-0-57344300-1460042287_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Today's late notices mentions the signal and ground frame being installed this Sunday, 10th April, but will be bagged, locked.

Got some pictures as I went past. Not the best, but leaning out the back cab window of a 150 doesn't lend itself to good photography.

As can be seen, much work still to do regarding track laying. I think you can sleep soundly for a few more nights, Andy.

Thanks for those photos, they give a good idea of the layout there.

Now if they were to get Gromit to help with the track laying, it would be done in no time....

cheers 

• RMweb Gold

I hope the contractors charged less for using second-hand materials.

They always used to but then BR normally kept a careful check on such things, especially as they often supplied the material direct.  However there was one contractor who had a crafty habit of trying to describe re-worked secondhand material as 'new', especially pointwork - and suffered for it.

• Like 1

True, but I'm used to the sound of the DMUs; I'm wondering if the sound of the freights will be more intrusive.

How close is your house to the line. The "bin liner" trains run regularly on the Greenford branch and I've not noticed them to be particularly noisy at the low speeds of the branch. The noisiest  part is the shed as it pulls away from signal stops but I doubt they'll disturb your sleep.

• RMweb Premium

How close is your house to the line. The "bin liner" trains run regularly on the Greenford branch and I've not noticed them to be particularly noisy at the low speeds of the branch. The noisiest  part is the shed as it pulls away from signal stops but I doubt they'll disturb your sleep.

My back garden abuts the platform of Redland station. However, thinking about it, the morning train probably won't be that noisy; it will be empty and rolling downhill  through Redland

• Like 1

When I worked at the warehouse behind Greenford station a class 56 went through and the windows nearly rattled out of the frame....

True, but I'm used to the sound of the DMUs; I'm wondering if the sound of the freights will be more intrusive.

With our bedroom window being 200 yds from the WCML I can honestly say nothing wakes us up and there's plenty of sheds and 70s going past in the night, it was a bit odd when we moved in but soon it just became background noise and far better than a house we looked at the same distance from the A38. I used to wake myself up in the early years when the DRS choppers went thru around 3am with trains for the SE but soon dropped off again, it was about the only time you got to hear 20s properly as at other times I never noticed them. 37s don't wake me up ! I was woken up at 07-00 for a few weeks last year though when the morning Tesco had double headed 68s on going full blast, shame that finished they were well worth it !

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

No tail lamps lit?

Modern marker lights flash hundreds of times a second and will sometimes appear to be unlit in photographs. This also has the effect of making them appear to flash in moving pictures.

Modern marker lights flash hundreds of times a second and will sometimes appear to be unlit in photographs. This also has the effect of making them appear to flash in moving pictures.

Red led's are around 474 terra-hertz! the colour is directly related to the frequency.

• RMweb Premium

I've just been reading the new book Somerset & Dorset Swansong by Bob Bunyar. What I found the most interesting - not to say astonishing - is his recollection from February 1967 of 34057 Biggin Hill replacing a failed Hymek at Salisbury on a Portsmouth-Cardiff service and taking it all the way to Temple Meads.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 3

I think that's the old stye lamp cluster with filament lamps - the LED ones that look a bit like that have one multi-coloured cluster for both the tail and the marker.  So unless it's a very bright day it looks like someone forgot to flick the switch. 

As someone who lives alongside the line near Stapleton Road: train noise definitely doesn't wake me up, and I don't even notice Down trains most of the time (they're usually on very low power unless they've stopped). The noisiest at the moment are Class 70 locos, but the one noise that did sometimes wake me was the sound of a Class 66 starting away from Lawrence Hill ground frame.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a bit puzzled by the latest progress on the Filton Bank project. At Stapleton Road station a chunk of the space between the former Main Line platforms to the north of the pedestrian entrance , empty until recently, has been filled in up to platform level with truckloads of recycled aggregate, largely broken brick. I assumed the new track would be going through there! Is the new infill just temporary for access or similar? The area between the platforms south of the entrance was similarly infilled a few years ago before the footbridge was rebuilt.

The Main trackbed next to Lawrence Hill ground frame has been built up with the same material, close to where the Easton Road overbridge has been rebuilt; and old ballast on the Mains span of the M32 bridge has been stripped back to reveal a layer of tile or brick.