Railway footage in feature films and television...

This is one I've mentioned before, but last night I started watching the old ITC series 'The Baron' again, in an early episode called 'Enemy Of The State Luton Hoo station stands in for some forlorn looking Eastern European outpost, watching it on screen the station building, canopy and adjacent level crossing looked decidedly tired and worn, and being filmed in late '65 or early '66 I'm guessing the line was still open at the time. Also in the same episode is a lovely shot of a foreign car with foreign number plates being driven on the wrong side of the road beneath nearby Chiltern Green viaduct.

• Like 3

The North Yorkshire Moors Railway has starred in a lot of TV programs and films including:

Heartbeat

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone

Dad's Army (film)

Downtown Abbey (film)

Mission Impossible 8

Indiana Jones 5

Great British Railway Journeys with Michael Portillo 

The Yorkshire Steam Railway: All aboard

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall
  • Like 1

On 14/08/2022 at 00:16, melmerby said:

The Inn of the Sixth Happiness was on Great Movies Action today (Its filmed in the UK)

It starts with a train arriving at a station in London.

The Loco was 69662 an N7 from Stratford so probably in Liverpool Street

The carriage was a panelled Maroon painted suburban, it looked like the number was E82126E (?). If so,  a 51' diag 56 third .

The film is set at the start of the second Sino-Japanese war (1937)☹️

The Welsh Slate hills stand in for China!

The scene with the train in China was filmed at Longmoor, using their USA tank (repainted only on one side, according to the LMR book volume 3, with Chinese symbols).  They built a wooden platform, cobbled together some foreign-looking stock, and arranged a busy scene.  I gather in some prints you can see an Austerity tank shunting in the background.

Actually 50's/60's films shot on the Longmoor Military Railway could almost be a thread to itself :)  Sub-catagory for Hunslet Austerity tank locomotives cosmetically modified with new chimneys and cowcatchers...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 14/08/2022 at 15:33, 6990WitherslackHall said:

The North Yorkshire Moors Railway has starred in a lot of TV programs and films including:

Heartbeat

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone

Dad's Army (film)

Downtown Abbey (film)

Mission Impossible 8

Indiana Jones 5

And a Very British Christmas a movie starring Rachel Shenton 

• 3 weeks later...

I caught an old horror / thriller film on Talking Pictures the other night called 'Corruption' starring Peter Cushing and Sue Lloyd which was shot in 1967 and released in 1968, in one sequence Cushing boarded a green Southern Region two car 3rd rail emu somewhere on the Kent coast and proceeded to murder an unsuspecting female passenger...

1088583767_CORRUPTION196730.jpg.f6a5d87e3e343ecfbd180aefadf2f809.jpg

712122465_CORRUPTIONuo_1587636164-17159-19.jpg.af6665eb5204630f4575fb83fb7308ad.jpg

(Most of the film was shot around the Dover area)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, steve1 said:

Bit bleak round there innit?

Borth has one of the most wonderful sandy beaches on the whole west coast of Britain! Miles long, stretching from the built-up bit next the village at the south end to the wilds of the dunes at the north end at Ynyslas.

Yours, Mike.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I remember a family day trip to Borth from Newcastle-under-Lyme in the 1970s.  Large beach indeed but cold and windy on that day.  We never went there again - Harlech beach became the preferred spot.

Cheers

Darius 

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 1

On 26/02/2022 at 21:27, Ben B said:

Bit of an odd one from the other day; "Shakespeare and Hathaway", the BBC daytime detective show....

Nice 00 gauge layout at one point, with a supposed 'they only made three of these, they're worth thousands of pounds!' model train which appeared to be a standard Bachmann BR Green 25 with a pair of Hornby Pullmans.  There were some stock-shots of modern units, then all the action was obviously filmed on a preserved station somewhere, though not sure where.  They'd have probably maintained the illusion of it being a well-maintained heritage station (they'd gone to the trouble of having a modern ticket machine, for example, so it could have had a Hebden Bridge air), if they hadn't had green shunters, blue 37's, choccy/cream MK.1's in shot, including posed on the running lines during the wedding scene at the end.

Sorry l am a bit late to this (six months!). The filming of the 00 gauge layout, and some other bits, was done at Stratford & District Model Railway Club. For those interested, the layout is called 'Cutlers Junction', not based on anywhere and is used for members just to 'run trains' is approx 140ft in length and a video can be found on the Clubs website.

Martin

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Not sure whether this has been mentioned  before.

The Mens Room 1990s BBC drama starring Bill Nighy opening shots episode 2 showed shots of Halye station , Cornwall. Arriving to share a weekend away with his lover Harriet Walter at a friends cottage in Cornwall 

Funnily enough however Bill Nighy was supposedly arriving on a down train from London but when the train leaves he is on the up platform as that is a more photogenic shot with St Ives bay in the background. 

Nothing like poetic licence for a good shot . He looks very young.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 28/12/2012 at 15:07, Killybegs said:

The original version of The 39 steps (lunchtime today). Flying Scotsman leaves Kings Cross for Scotland. Next progress shot is of a Castle emerging from what looked like Box Tunnel!

I watched the opening half hour today and thought I'd check back through the thread to see if this had been picked up on before.  Nice to see how even in 1935 we could have had a moan about inconsistency in railways on film!

Not relating to railways, but the scene where Hannay is handcuffed to the young lady as she removes her stockings is legendary, this was considered incredibly risque at the time.  What I'd forgotten is the conversation between the two other men in Hannay's compartment; one of whom is a women's underwear salesman.  It's probably music hall humour of the time, but it would equally probably be "inappropriate" now (still funny though).

Edited by Northmoor
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Went to see the film of them finding Richard III yesterday (The Lost King). This is a film that actually gets a tick in the box for having got things pretty well correct, if there were any errors they were not obviously noticeable whereas what they got right was. The only bit I noticed whilst watching "live" in the cinema (so no stop, go back, recheck) that I thought they had got wrong was the sequence of views out of the window around Berwick and (a) it made no difference whatsoever to the plot line, (b) it was the right train on the right route and (c) you have to have travelled it a lot to notice therefore latitude can be given. Plus it is a good film anway.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I watched the opening half hour today and thought I'd check back through the thread to see if this had been picked up on before.  Nice to see how even in 1935 we could have had a moan about inconsistency in railways on film!

Not relating to railways, but the scene where Hannay is handcuffed to the young lady as she removes her stockings is legendary, this was considered incredibly risque at the time.  What I'd forgotten is the conversation between the two other men in Hannay's compartment; one of whom is a women's underwear salesman.  It's probably music hall humour of the time, but it would equally probably be "inappropriate" now (still funny though).

Saw the Castle shot, is it Box, or Middle Hill tunnel?

A good film though, even if the acting is a little cheesy in places.

• Like 1