Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

SR 25t Pill Box brake van

Bartb

• RMweb Premium

I see that Bachmann have not done a BR version with the footplate sandboxes, and seem to remember reading somewhere that these were removed before BR days. However, I've just found a lovely picture of a BR grey one with the sandboxes at Alton Station in January 1961. A rare exception or something more common?

The Bachmann website shows them as 'Expected In The Next 60 Days'

A 'Rail Mail' announcement for the Bachmann's collectors club was issued last week.

They are expected to be with Bachmann well before the end of September...

So in response to when 'Very Soon' seems to be in order...

According to 'Rails' they'll be in stock tomorrow...

. . . and today they are shown as in stock. I see the BR grey version has the left-hand duckets and even planking, the bauxite one having the right-hand ducket and even planking. 2+2 planking is featured on one of the two SR versions (with small SR and right-hand ducket) and the large SR one has left-hand ducket and even planking, the same as the BR grey one. The BR ones look a little bare without the sandboxes on the ends.

JE

Edited by Belgian

Guest Max Stafford

Here she is. The Liddesdale engineers have an interesting new brake to go behind the new Sturgeons being built!

Dave.

post-6676-0-60415900-1348598826_thumb.jpg

Edited by Max Stafford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Slightly unusual livery for the grey one, in that the lettering isn't applied onto black patches.

I don't doubt that it's accurate as I think Bachmann's wagon liveries are usually based on pictures of real vehicles, but nevertheless it looks a bit, um, 'distinctive'!

Got my BR version today, very nice model, just needs a bit of weathering now, anyone know where the bag of bits that come with it go ? 6 pieces in all. No info in the box.

The bit like two trapezes between the brake shoes, then you realise that the other bits should have go on first. (into the square holes on the underside)

And finally discover they go on last after all. Surprised there's no vac' pipes with the fitted one though.

Three have just been rescued from my local delivery office, must have double clicked on the bauxite one :scratchhead: . Never mind, won't have to finish my Spratt & Winkle brass one now.

Edited by JZ

The bit like two trapezes between the brake shoes, then you realise that the other bits should have go on first. (into the square holes on the underside

Fit okay the otherway i.e. with the trapeze parts nearer the axle. So what is the right way?

One thing to watch before fitting them is whether the NEM coupling mounts have been screwed on at right angles to the buffer beam, one on mine was definately not.

Would not a vac pipe have got in the way of the couplings?

Edited by Butler Henderson

Hope to get one along with other bits from Hattons tomorrow. Not sure many would have got to my loosely based North London layout but too difficult to resist.

Not had the usual dispatch email mind you so could be Monday despite paying for Saturday delivery.

• RMweb Gold

Hope to get one along with other bits from Hattons tomorrow. Not sure many would have got to my loosely based North London layout but too difficult to resist.

Not had the usual dispatch email mind you so could be Monday despite paying for Saturday delivery.

What era is your NL layout? Cross-London transfer freights were a daily event for many decades, and Southern/BR(S) locos would typically have been accompanied by SR/BR(S) brakevans.