Hornby 2012 - Reasonable Speculation Thread!

S.A.C Martin

Think I will be happy with the following:

Steam

71000 Duke of Gloucester

Stanier 5MT mogul (49268)

Thompson K1 2-6-0 (62005)

Diesel

Class 67

Class 73

Coaches

Beavertail Observation Car (rebuilt)

Revamped Autocoach (GWR and BR built versions)

Quad Arts.

Wagons

Some pre grouping varieties.

Railroad

Schools

Britannia

Some different liveries on existing models.

I have this nasty feeling we are heading for another duplication this coming year. The huge article in the new Bachmann Collectors Club mag about Merchant Navies suggests it may be on Barwell's radar

Slightly outside this topic, but they could be looking at an 'N' Gauge one!

• RMweb Premium

Sadly Bachmann appear to have absolutely no interest in Southern stuff.

Exhibit A: Upgrade to the Bachmann Bulleid coaches - many statements issued over the years that this won't happen.

Exhibit B: Their Lord Nelson appears to have been allowed to die.

Exhibit C: Never following up on the N Class by doing their originally planned U Class.

Over the past few years Hornby however have done Southern (steam) fans proud. MN, WC/BoB, Schools, T9, King Arthur, M7, Q1 and Rebuilt WC/BoB.

I've forgotten how many times I've heard from the Barwell camp that Southern doesn't sell - seemingly a bit like the Hornby thought patterns that GWR doesn't sell :lol: Mind you we all have set ideas on some things.....

However, Bachmann are now doing the SECR C Class. Admittedly that's more to do with an example being on the Bluebell Railway than anything else, and technically it's not Southern but pre-Southern, but to all intents and purposes it fits the description of Southern that most of us have felt Bachmann have ignored previously.

Guest Belgian

Actually, the 700 shared a boiler with the M7, until the 700's were superheated. Maunsell tried to superheat an M7 (126), but it never really worked properly.

Partly correct, but not the full story. Boilers and fireboxes were two different things, although usually treated as a unit. Until superheated the M7s, 700s, C8s and K10s shared a boiler/firebox combination as well as the propulsion elements. The T9s and L11s shared the 1' longer boiler/firebox unit, with a different arrangement of tubes, but the same propulsion system (by which I mean cylinders, valves, valve gear and crank axles excluding coupling rods) until the T9s were superheated. Superheating the L11s was authorised but cancelled before any were done.

The solitary M7 rebuild was done by Urie, not Maunsell. It was perfectly successful, even the raising of the boiler centre-line by 9" didn't make it unstable but the heavier weight distribution with the enlarged drum smokebox on the single front driving axle made it unsuitable for use on some of the more lightly-laid branches (the other locomotives with it had bogies to distribute the weight or were used on the heavier-laid lines in the case of the 700s). 20 M7s were to be done but with impending electrification of most suburban branches the superheating of M7s was really unnecessary so Maunsell cancelled the order.

(Sorry this has gone off-topic but incorrect information should not be left unchallenged).

JE

However, Bachmann are now doing the SECR C Class. Admittedly that's more to do with an example being on the Bluebell Railway than anything else, and technically it's not Southern but pre-Southern, but to all intents and purposes it fits the description of Southern that most of us have felt Bachmann have ignored previously.

Not to mention the 4-CEP, 2-EPB and MLV...

• RMweb Premium

Good point and I'll agree that it being Southern(ish) probably came a long second to it being a preserved item on the Bluebell. ;-)

The question now, with all these preserved NRM, Bluebell etc locos and RTP buildings being rolled off production lines, is why are there so few preserved era layouts? With Hornby etc apparently keen on this market I think DoG is a good bet at some point.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think that Lyddle End was particularly successful but how about Hornby having another look at the N-Gauge market?

They must have some experience of this scale from the Hornby International products. I don't know what percentage of the UK market is made up by N-Scale but I would guess that it is growing due to the quality of RTR products being introduced and the impact of modellers like myself who have had to move from 00 to N due to space considerations. I used to buy a lot of Hornby products but now my spend with them is zero.

David

I always had the impression that Dapol were effectively duplicating the Hornby range in N gauge - possibly because that meant less competition with the Farish range (because Farish was the mirror of Bachmann's OO range & there was little overlap with Hornby's range). I really don't think Hornby have N in their sights at the moment.

It's interesting how little speculation there's been about possible wagon releases - almost as though we've given up on Hornby producing a comprehensive range of quality standard wagons. My prediction (and hope) is for Railfreight Red OTAs. Beyond that I haven't a Scooby....

• RMweb Premium

Reading through the thread there's a lot of reasoning along the lines of X have had a lot, surely it's the turn of Y now. Surely the only real basis for new or updated models for manufacturers should be sales potential. Some of this potential can be judged from comments in the media but hardcore 'modellers' have been said to be only a proportion of sales so 'likability' must be a major player too. I always think it would be interesting to see the real sales figures and the manufacturer's analysis on what the pattern to good and bad lines is. At the end of the day we have to remember that this is our pastime but manufacturer's cold hard cash and their employee's jobs at stake.

I don't think that Lyddle End was particularly successful but how about Hornby having another look at the N-Gauge market?

I'd certainly like them to, but I suspect it's not something that will happen. They would be starting from scratch and would need to hit the ground running with enough of a range, and they would have to be to the same standard as the current and forthcoming Farish and Dapol releases and not duplicating existing products at that current standard unless they were substantially cheaper, and let's face it it's Hornby we're talking about here so it won't be that or they risk failure on a grand scale.

IF (and I'll leave that as a big if...) Hornby go down this route, almost by necessity they would be looking at mirroring models in their OO range (or forthcoming...) mostly due to the CAD being already available, and then we're up against some major issues. Dapol have been using the Hornby range as a shopping list pretty much of lower risk projects, and Farish have been mirroring the Bachmann OO range in the most part. There's slim pickings there to hang a range off of, unless you go for willfully duplicating bread and butter items to get things going.

What might serve Hornby "better" is going Railroad on this all, and scouring their acquired tooling for British outline items that could be reintroduced with minimal makeovers. Obviously there's the Lima range, but it's mostly junk, especially on the loco side of things, though there are a few nice-okayish items there (horsebox, siphon, CCT - oh that's probably it isn't it?), there's the Rivarossi Scot and I'm now running out of steam on this... Perhaps they could acquire the Minitrix body toolings and stick some new chassis/valvegear in the better of the locos (47, 2MT (2-6-2 and 2-6-0), dock tank, A3, A1, Brit, er that's it really) and do something similar with the better wagons (brake van, HAA, oil tanker, damn I'm running short again...) and coaches (well the Gresley's are obviously actually still rather good, and the MK1s might be able to be turned around if you ignore the BG...).

Not looking good really, they's probably be better served buying Dapol (and they're probably not for sale...).

I have this nasty feeling we are heading for another duplication this coming year. The huge article in the new Bachmann Collectors Club mag about Merchant Navies suggests it may be on Barwell's radar and I can see Hornby announcing one on January 3rd as well!!!

Ooh, that is interesting, and maybe makes sense. Farish may be trying to sneak that in the window of opportunity that the Dapol announcement of the WC/BoB in N gauge (but let's face it, they must be eyeing the MN...), in rebuilt form it's already in the Farish range (and due an update) and in OO it's something of an open goal with Hornby not having done the as built version.

Updated Bullied carriages in OO and (in N) would probably be part of the equation.

Could get messy.

It's interesting how little speculation there's been about possible wagon releases - almost as though we've given up on Hornby producing a comprehensive range of quality standard wagons.

Possibly, but maybe it also reflects the diminishing pickings in this field. It's not actually that easy to find prototypes which a) are sufficiently dissimilar to ones that Bachmann do (or are likely to), b ) have sufficient commercial potential c) avoid categories that are more complicated (in terms of disparity of design) than first appears and d) use underframes that are flexible enough for more than the one type (although the last doesnt seem to be so much an issue nowadays).

• RMweb Premium

Possibly, but maybe it also reflects the diminishing pickings in this field. It's not actually that easy to find prototypes which a) are sufficiently dissimilar to ones that Bachmann do (or are likely to), b ) have sufficient commercial potential c) avoid categories that are more complicated (in terms of disparity of design) than first appears and d) use underframes that are flexible enough for more than the one type (although the last doesnt seem to be so much an issue nowadays).

And I think the average Joe or Joanne Modeler is much happier and capable of putting together a plastic kit of a wagon than tackling a loco or lined coach kit.... and there's such a great and diverse range of kits already on the market to back up the Bachmann (mostly) decent RTR stuff in 4mm. Therefore folk are naturally more interested in new locos and the trickier coaching stock.

• RMweb Premium

Not to mention the 4-CEP, 2-EPB and MLV...

Which are Southern Region instigated prototypes, and as Bachmann are at pains to tell us, Southern Region is still OK by them. Their past statements have suggested they aren't interested in Southern Railway or pre-Southern Railway originated prototypes, even if they lasted through into the BR(S) era.

• RMweb Gold

Updated Bullied carriages in OO and (in N) would probably be part of the equation.

I wouldn't mind some non-gangwayed Bulleid carriages. You wouldn't need too many types; a 10-compartment 3rd (2nd) and 2 different 8-compartment motor brake 3rds (2nds) will do for starters. They could even sell them in 4-coach train packs.

Which are Southern Region instigated prototypes, and as Bachmann are at pains to tell us, Southern Region is still OK by them. Their past statements have suggested they aren't interested in Southern Railway or pre-Southern Railway originated prototypes, even if they lasted through into the BR(S) era.

Presumably they are talking about milkfloats rather than kettles? So no 2-BIL from Barwell (good, might mean they can free up some investment for an AM4).

Presumably they are talking about milkfloats rather than kettles? So no 2-BIL from Barwell (good, might mean they can free up some investment for an AM4).

Now then Mark, (it is Mark isn't it??) If I've got me people right you'd love a square wheeled AM4 with concrete cushions ;)

Now then Mark, (it is Mark isn't it??) If I've got me people right you'd love a square wheeled AM4 with concrete cushions ;)

Ydy, Prif Weinidog o Gymru yma.

I may not have liked them when I used to suffer them from Walsall and Lichfield, but I will need one for the new layout in the shed! An RTR version would save me a lot of work on the DC Kit I have sat looking at me to start it - and allow me to have more than a blue one. Plus I could always file down the wheels to give that authentic threepeny bit ride.

I may not have liked them when I used to suffer them from Walsall and Lichfield, but I will need one for the new layout in the shed! An RTR version would save me a lot of work on the DC Kit I have sat looking at me to start it - and allow me to have more than a blue one. Plus I could always file down the wheels to give that authentic threepeny bit ride.

If the 85 sells well I can see Hornby/Bachy/Dapol even? thinking about AC units. Sales of the 3rd rail units has been very good, so why not?. As you got that 81 hybrid, thats bound to be a new RTR model soon, such is life!

News certainly travels when you are a part time remote e-bay bidding service for lonely depot controllers, say no more.

Seeing I also relieved Charlie at DC kits of two ready made kit built Class 81s recently it's a racing cert Bachmann are lining up a Class 81 announcement for next year!

• RMweb Gold

News certainly travels when you are a part time remote e-bay bidding service for lonely depot controllers, say no more.

Seeing I also relieved Charlie at DC kits of two ready made kit built Class 81s recently it's a racing cert Bachmann are lining up a Class 81 announcement for next year!

No, I haven't started scratchbuilding an 81 yet ;)

Andi

Archived