Hornby 2012 - Reasonable Speculation Thread!

S.A.C Martin

Brighton Atlantic (looks nice and preserved tie-in),

Adams Radial (very different in looks, fills another niche (and niches seem to sell - Beattie Well tank etc) and would look nice with Kernow's Gate Stock),

On these two, when is the Bluebell Atlantic set to steam? It will generate ALOT of press hype when it does and will be a good publicity wave for someone to ride by announcing a model of it. It also, as has been pointed out, gives the chance for an LNER group model ontop which means that, if suitably designed there could be alot of life coming from a couple of sets of shared toolings.

As for the Adams Radial, I highly suspect that we'll see a Kernow announcement for one of these in the coming year. They are iconic locos that would suit Kernow's way of doing things perfectly (South Western branchline locos that look luvverly).

As for a P2, I think one will be in the works, somewhere, in the next few years from Hornby as it suits their large passenger loco theme.

I'm sure Hornby do look at what comes up in the "most wanted" polls but how much notice they take of them is probably another matter. The 8 coupled GW tanks seem to be popular but it stikes me as being to soon after the 28XX's release to make much sense. Ditching or "Railroading" the 14XX and 61XX and replacing with all new versions, preferably with a 41XX replacing the Prairie, might make more sense. A 14XX and Autotrailer are pretty iconic loco and Airfix's renditions are now rather long in the tooth. Having said that a new Pannier has been mooted for a few years now so maybe that'll be their GW offering and in that matter I'm wondering if a 94XX might just be different enough to justify the effort.

Stu

Dan Hill's post # 274, ticks the 'as built, MN' box.... Hmmm...Raises the question...Which batch ?...Which engine...?.

Each batch had it's differences, not to mention quite a list of mods on each loco (& tenders). The last batch, BR built, Nos.35021-30. appear to be the most consistant in appearance, that brings the options down to 10 locos. ln doing so, reducing the number of livery choices, to boot.

l suspect Hornby have peered over the hedge, seen the minefield, and stepped back.

P.S. A lined Blue' un, would make a nice 'Glamour' engine tho'.

For my money

the Western side will get a pannier- a 16xx or 94xx to go with that Hawksworth era thing started with the coaches

Eastern will get a Director, to stop the Barwell boys from monoplising the NRM occupants

Midland will get whats already promised

Southern will get an unrebuilt MN pacific

The Diesel and Electric fundamentalists will have to make do with Heljan and Dapol offerings

I don't think that Lyddle End was particularly successful but how about Hornby having another look at the N-Gauge market?

They must have some experience of this scale from the Hornby International products. I don't know what percentage of the UK market is made up by N-Scale but I would guess that it is growing due to the quality of RTR products being introduced and the impact of modellers like myself who have had to move from 00 to N due to space considerations. I used to buy a lot of Hornby products but now my spend with them is zero.

David

Guest Max Stafford

Something Orwellian about the adjective 'unrebuilt' isn't there? :D

It's been the big, conspicuous absence in Southern terms and I'm amazed it's not been done yet.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think anyone's mentioned the Lord Nelsons as Bachmann are dragging their feet in improving their LN. Besides it's a big, southern express loco! And of course more rehashes of very old models at amazingly high prices! :locomotive:

The case for a quick and cheap(er) easy win for Hornby is the exLSWR 700. Twenty of the class share the six wheel tender with the T9 and it fills a niche for the Western Section of the SR and fits in nicely with their own 4F and Bachmann's recent pre-grouping 3F and C class. The class lasted until 1963 and could be used anywhere within a triangle formed by Nine Elms, Exeter and Bournemouth.

Maybe not flashy or express, it certainly ticks many of the commercial boxes.

Tim

• RMweb Premium

The case for a quick and cheap(er) easy win for Hornby is the exLSWR 700. Twenty of the class share the six wheel tender with the T9 and it fills a niche for the Western Section of the SR and fits in nicely with their own 4F and Bachmann's recent pre-grouping 3F and C class. The class lasted until 1963 and could be used anywhere within a triangle formed by Nine Elms, Exeter and Bournemouth.

Maybe not flashy or express, it certainly ticks many of the commercial boxes.

Tim

Could do a two-pack North Cornwall 'winter rescue' special. Was it 30691 or 30700 that got stuck whilst on snow plough duty and then another got sent to fetch it? Will have to look up the actual details.

have to agree though that if we're looking at a 'use some existing bits' type approach, then a 700 could borrow a few bits from the T9.

have to agree though that if we're looking at a 'use some existing bits' type approach, then a 700 could borrow a few bits from the T9.

Oddly enough, not as much as you might think. Only the tender is common and not even all the 700's used T9 tenders.

Tim

Dan Hill's post # 274, ticks the 'as built, MN' box.... Hmmm...Raises the question...Which batch ?...Which engine...?.

Each batch had it's differences, not to mention quite a list of mods on each loco (& tenders). The last batch, BR built, Nos.35021-30. appear to be the most consistant in appearance, that brings the options down to 10 locos. ln doing so, reducing the number of livery choices, to boot.

l suspect Hornby have peered over the hedge, seen the minefield, and stepped back.

P.S. A lined Blue' un, would make a nice 'Glamour' engine tho'.

I would go for 21C1 Channel Packet but as you say there are differences in design. A BR Blue one would be great.

I think a Southern 377 would be great and a repaint would allow for the First Capital Connect version although the 319's would allow for more liviery variations

• RMweb Premium

It'll be a big event to me if Hornby announces a new 0-6-0 tender loco of any class.

Locos with this wheel arrangement are seen by many as workhorses, yet the last time Hornby tooled up a brand new type was the Bulleid Q1 a few years ago, leaving out of course new loco-drive chassis for the ex-Airfix 4F.

Introduction of this type of workaday loco, as well as introduction of more non-corridor carriages, will give a stronger signal in the marketplace that the model enthusiasts fraternity segment is being given more attention within Hornby.

• RMweb Gold

Locos with this wheel arrangement are seen by many as workhorses, yet the last time Hornby tooled up a brand new type was the Bulleid Q1 a few years ago, leaving out of course new loco-drive chassis for the ex-Airfix 4F.

I was trying to think of the last Hornby loco that could only be painted plain black (excluding upgrades like the 4F) - was it also the Q1, which I think appeared toward the end of 2003, so already 8 years ago?

..... I'd much prefer something a bit more useful like a U Class (2 variants to go at there and a common chassis (with extra truck!) to do a Rolling River tank). The Us did have a wide coverage of the Southern network and there's always the option of tinkering with the frames / cylinders and chimney to do the BR 'modified' version.......

I'd have thought that Bachmann had done half the hard work on this already, with a pretty good smokebox/boiler/firebox moulding that could be used on any of the Maunsell Moguls.

• RMweb Premium

I have this nasty feeling we are heading for another duplication this coming year. The huge article in the new Bachmann Collectors Club mag about Merchant Navies suggests it may be on Barwell's radar and I can see Hornby announcing one on January 3rd as well!!!

Just a feeling... and usually when I get those sort of feelings, stock markets start crashing and insurance companies go bankrupt!!!

On my past track record a J50 is a dead cert.  I have a DJH kit of one sitting here, just waiting to be started....

Actually thinking along those lines, then a 42xx/72xx is also a certainty as I've got two I bought as made up ones needing some TLC and kits for a further two. Perhaps I should flog them on Ebay now before Jan 3rd.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if R3038/R3039/R3040 will appear in the catalogue this year?

This is from the 2011 thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/27580-Hornby-2011-announcements/page__view__findpost__p__288825

Maybe there'll be a R3041 in Arriva blue?

We'll find out soon enough, but it's good fun trying to guess.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I'd have thought that Bachmann had done half the hard work on this already, with a pretty good smokebox/boiler/firebox moulding that could be used on any of the Maunsell Moguls.

Sadly Bachmann appear to have absolutely no interest in Southern stuff.

Exhibit A: Upgrade to the Bachmann Bulleid coaches - many statements issued over the years that this won't happen.

Exhibit B: Their Lord Nelson appears to have been allowed to die.

Exhibit C: Never following up on the N Class by doing their originally planned U Class.

Over the past few years Hornby however have done Southern (steam) fans proud. MN, WC/BoB, Schools, T9, King Arthur, M7, Q1 and Rebuilt WC/BoB.

I've forgotten how many times I've heard from the Barwell camp that Southern doesn't sell - seemingly a bit like the Hornby thought patterns that GWR doesn't sell :lol: Mind you we all have set ideas on some things.....

• RMweb Premium

I have this nasty feeling we are heading for another duplication this coming year. The huge article in the new Bachmann Collectors Club mag about Merchant Navies suggests it may be on Barwell's radar and I can see Hornby announcing one on January 3rd as well!!!

Just a feeling... and usually when I get those sort of feelings, stock markets start crashing and insurance companies go bankrupt!!!

If I continue shaking my head saying it will never happen then hopefully at some point one of the two (or both?) will give me a really pleasant surprise - better than getting all excited and being disappointed!

Guest Belgian

The boiler looks very similar on my T9 and 700....

The boilers are the same but the fireboxes aren't. The T9 has a 12" longer firebox, pitched lower than the 700s. The cabs are different, the chimneys are different (T9's is taller).

In reality they share many features but the important ones are irrelevant to a model: the cylinders and motion and crank axle. Fittings, yes, but otherwise there's almost nothing the same.

But a 700 is top of my wishlist, although since this is an 'reasonable speculation' thread I can't honestly say I think Hornby (or even Bachmann) will do one.

JE

• RMweb Gold

The boiler looks very similar on my T9 and 700....

Actually, the 700 shared a boiler with the M7, until the 700's were superheated. Maunsell tried to superheat an M7 (126), but it never really worked properly.

Archived