Hornby 2012 - Reasonable Speculation Thread!

S.A.C Martin

Which highlights a strange comparison :

- blue/red boxes have the statement 'not suitable for children under 14 years...'.

- red/yellow boxes containing for example the latest Hawksworth coaches (IMO excellent models) I recently received have the mention '... not suitable for children under three years.'.

Does this mean that GWR items are more suitable for kids then? Leaving the real stuff (eg LNER) for more mature players....?

......I'll get my coat,,,,,

Stewart

Pleasing Mike Modeller, the Armchair Alberts and Mr & Mrs Givvus-Green is easy......Untouched Pacifics.... And what evocative names.....

Highland Chieftain

Waverley

Robert the Bruce

Cock 'O the North

Mons Meg

Wolf of Badenock

Edward Thompson

Airborne

Steady Aim

Sun Stream

Ocean Swell

Owen Tudor

Sun Castle

etc....

Plus variants for all seasons.... tiny smoke deflectors, big smoke deflectors, plain black, LNER green, BR green, 6-wheel tenders, 8-wheel tenders, stovepipes and caps, banjo's and roundtops.....A Hornby 'soap' that could run for years. :victory:

And also hampered by the fact that although a GW Pannier design, this class was only built by WR(BR), though I suspect GWR modellers would purchase under modeller's licence (or should that read licenced modelling?).

There are other attractive Pannier designs that will never see the light of day in model form, but have a unique look to them such as the 0-6-4 crane tanks (N°s 16 Cyclops' and 17 'Hercules') - here's a Lego version which is remarkly good

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/216163

... dilbert

PS Prototype photos in Russell's GW Engines, Vol 2.

Here is one I made earlier. A modified Hornby pannier. The larger wheels mean it is slightkly overscale in all directions. I had to raise a bridge to accommodate it.

Roger.

post-5219-0-56184100-1323630446_thumb.jpg

One, or two folks have mentioned the USA 0-6-0t Dock Tank.

Here again, there are differences in the cabs' outward appearance. This, coupled with attempting to fit Walschaerts valve gear onto a short wheelbase tank loco, would, possibly, have stopped Hornby dead, in it's production line tracks.

Not only this, Hornby's European market would be clamouring for an HO version, thereby splitting, and reducing any profit from such a venture.

l reckon this as a no-no.

On the other hand, wouldn't it be a neat little loco to have as a station / MPD pilot, or working stock on your carriage sidings / goods yard / dockside / harbour layout ?

• RMweb Premium

Not only this, Hornby's European market would be clamouring for an HO version, thereby splitting, and reducing any profit from such a venture.

It wouldn't get my vote either, but at least some of the development costs (research and some CAD) could be shared between OO and HO models. I would think the bar frames and very complicated/messy (in UK terms) arrangements of pipework and valves would be difficult to get right in production.

Silly question - how poor are the current Hornby and ex-Mainline Toad brakevans?

The Bachy ex-Mainline is more chunkily moulded, as Mainline stuff generally was, I've also always thought it looked a bit 'squat' although I must admit I've never troubled one with a ruler. The Hornby ex-Airfix has the finesse but is a bit b*stardised, incorporating features from more than one of the 20T diagrams.

As Paddy said, separate handrails would be an obvious improvement. Choosing a diagram for a replacement would be interesting, they all look much of a muchness but have all sorts of detail variations. The last diagram AA23 was quite numerous I think, but probably wouldnt suit pre-war modellers; OTTOMH I think there are some earlier ones that were the same apart from some had vac braking

I'll chuck in my two pennorth...

The LMS Stanier coaches are due back in the catalogue. Perhaps the price might move a little closer to the Maunsells this time round, and with a close eye kept on the paint finish for this batch, I can't see any grounds to carp at them . They seem to have been curiously unloved. Bringing back the B set in Railroad would help the emerging secondary stock theme.

The Maunsells will presumably drop out of the catalogue this year unless changes are rung. One long shot - a replacement of the ex Triang Bogie Luggage van , which is too long with a model to modern standards

There is clear and powerful logic behind a Maunsell 2 car EMU. Big passenger tanks sell and Hornby have the various LMS 2-6-4Ts, the L1 and the 61xx. There don't have a Southern equivalent - the M7 is really abranchline loco. That's because the Southern electrified and that gap is filled by EMUs... They must know Maunsell coaching stock pretty well by now, they may be short of coaches for the Southern modeller in this year's catalogue. Third rail EMUS are an emerging niche and 2 car is as cheap as you can get - "My 2 BIL plays your 2 EPB". It would go nicely with the Brighton Belle, the Merchant Navys etc etc. My 1972 abc shows the 2-BIL as introduced 1937 - and lists 3 still in traffic . Exactly as many as it lists Class 29s actually.... So this could sell to everyone from the BR Blue D+E modeller to the pre war Southern modeller, and the pre BR EMUs are still an open field/clear gap. A lot of folk model 50s /60s southern

I don't know if they'll do a Southern push-pull , but there is acertain logic if you have an M7 and the mainline Maunsells drop from the catalogue

One LNER kettle. I think the main options are a Director or a J15 ("my J15 plays your Johnson 2F"). Just possibly they could plump for a P2 , but I think the skies are just too dark. It is too early to announce an all new LMS built compound when the Railroad version isn't in the shops. Chalk that down to the 2013 announcement?

I like the idea of a new Toad - and I think they might go for the earlier shorter version to be different. GW Toads got blackmarked out of revenue service early (c 1960?) because they only had one veranda , so going for a post war wagon for longevity is less of an issue. A left field suggestion - ex LMS /BR corregated end open (OWV) and an LMS van . The current Bachmann LMS van is compromised I believe, and there are several types they could chose. Hornby are still weak on goods stock and this would help. A cattle wagon?

That leaves one loco slot . The 91 looks to be coming back, but I'm sure as a reissue of the old model. The only diesel loco they might do do is the 25, but "wot only one kettle??" So - as Bachmann took the Ivatt 2-6-0 off them, how about a Standard 2MT 2-6-0?. Duke of Gloucester is about the only big LMS/BR loco still left to do , though I feel constrained to point out it had a much shorter service life than the Ivatt Co-Cos, and the class was half the size....

Or a 64 XX pannier?

But there has to be one big steam loco in there , I don't think it can be LNER, I can't see much in the way for LMS/BR options, Southern has also done well and original MN is the only real available choice. A GW Star has serious potential (how late in the 50s did the last one go?)

This does leave them very very short of D+E. They do need a high spec Modernisation Plan DMU - the main options seem to be 104 or 116

Not a wish but pure speculation for 2012/13:

SR S15 in all versions of Urie and Maunsell cabs and tenders

42xx/52xx or 72xx - the missing GWR models

Low window Maunsell 4-Compt Brake

Updated SR L1 in homage to its Kent connection

I apologise to those interested in any other genres, I do not think that Hornby will offer a bumper year due to hold-overs from 2011

and their promise to release 2012 items before 2013.

Due to the current economic climate, there will be an awful lot of re-livery editions rather than new build.

But the bottom line is, that I wish Hornby the very best of luck and many thanks for what they have produced.

Tim

• RMweb Premium

And yet Bachmann have/will have produced the following Southern-suitable stuff:

Lord Nelson

N Class

C Class

Ivatt 2-6-2 tank

Fairburn 2-6-4 tank

BR Standards:

Class 5 4-6-0

Class 4 4-6-0

Class 4 2-6-0

Class 4 2-6-4 tank

Class 3 2-6-2 tank

Diesels

10000/10001

4-CEP

2-EPB

MLV

SR Pillbox brake van

SR 12T vent van

LBSCR complete station building range (Sheffield Park)

SR Art-Deco station buildings, signalbox

Substation, transformer.

Not too shabby a list, and hardly 'no interest in Southern stuff'. All that green must make SR enthusiasts envious !

Yes, well done chaps, it's amazing how long you can make a 'Southern' loco list if you borrow many items from other companies and add in some RTP buildings and loads of modern stuff.... :wink_mini:

Just to be completely fair, how's about you do a comparison list based on the same thought patterns for the WR, ER and MR? Think I'd put money on all three being much, much longer.

At the end of the day, the point I was making was that as a Southern (steam) modeler, the vast majority of my Southern steam loco stock is non-Bachmann. This Hornby vs Bachmann imbalance doesn't really crop up for the other three and I think I'm correct in saying that fin the case of the ER and MR there's models duplicated by both.

Hornby have definitely favoured us in recent years and we now have a reasonable spread of motive power. And thank goodness we've not had to rely on Bachmann, as otherwise a Southern layout would have a very heavy bias of BR standards and locos from those 'other' (lesser) lines :P

Anyway, back to the 'reading Hornby's mind' game, which I'm sure most of us have got completely wrong...again.

PS I'm sure I've seen a photo of an A4 at Exeter Central, so shouldn't that be on your list too? :mosking:

The P2 can be done, I am sure. The more I think about it, logically it wouldn't be a proper 2-8-2 but a 2-8-0 with flangeless rear wheels (just like the Pacifics). Reusing that, I am sure an eight coupled wheelbase could get round 3rd radius curves, but 2nd radius - probably not!

With a likely £150ish RRP, it could be a very expensive but oh so desirable purchase for red box collectors and modellers alike.

I can't imagine they'd ever do a Railroad or Mid-Fi one, but a Railroad P2 with simplified detail and livery would be one of those models which still has the "must buy" factor at an affordable price.

Looking at the A1 (Tornado)/A1 (Scotsman)/A4 (Mallard/Falcon/etc) and now D49, we've had the apple green/garter blue and named express engines before - could this be the latest in what has been a Hornby tradition for some time?

Lord knows...if they announce Earl Marischal in its original form, I'd preorder instantly. It cannot be so expensive that it outstrips a kit built P2, after all. That's the same level of logic I applied to the Bachmann Blue Pullman, and to be frank, I'm glad I did as it seems the Bachmann model may fulfill that "must have" level and then some.

If that were the case I'm guess they'd do what they did with the 9f's and allow a lot of lateral play on the driving wheels. Though I can see them doing a 'Tornado' and creating a tool that can be tailored to both the high and lower end of the pricing spectrum.

Would a flangeless pony truck not create a waddle effect?

Pleasing Mike Modeller, Albert Armchair and Mr & Mrs Biggus-Green is easy......Untouched big green named pacifics.... And what evocative names.....

Highland Chieftain

Waverley

Robert the Bruce

Cock 'O the North

Mons Meg

Wolf of Badenock

Edward Thompson

Airborne

Steady Aim

Sun Stream

Ocean Swell

Owen Tudor

Sun Castle

etc....

Plus variants for all seasons.... tiny smoke deflectors, big smoke deflectors, plain black, LNER green, BR green, 6-wheel tenders, 8-wheel tenders, stovepipes and caps, banjo's and roundtops.....A Hornby 'soap' that could run for years. :victory:

Please god..not Th***son Pacifics.....anything but. I had actually almost managed to forget they existed.

I'm with you on this..Godless abominations. They've gone all soft on them on the LNER forums too! :bad:

post-1656-0-12213700-1323638854.jpg

I think it speaks for itself. Even if you don't like the aesthetics, anyone modelling any portion of the ECML needs at least one from the four classes pottering about somewhere. Otherwise, how can you claim it's an accurate depiction of the period?

People are very happy to accept they need the "ugly" diesels for their various layouts, and that's fine, but this double standards nonsense with the Thompson Pacifics is exactly that - a nonsense.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, couldn't resist....

I don't think though that a loco has to be pretty to sell. The Bulleid Q1 is an ugly brute but well proportioned and the first batches of Hornby models sold well until the market got saturated. The D63xx are also not the most beautiful of locos but, with their sad puppy eyes, many of the Dapol model seem to be selling.

There are though some locos where, somehow the balance looks wrong. The Maunsell N1 and U1 don't look quite right to me - the big flat front seems just too heavy. I think it's the same with the Thompson - cover up the running gear and it looks ok, it's just those pesky cylinders....

PS - Despite the fact that I don't really care much for the appearance of the U1, they ran on the North Cornwall, so I got one. Shouldn't be any different for those modelling the ER with respect to Thompson's should it? But then again the 'IML' rule applies doesn't it.

post-1656-0-12213700-1323638854.jpg

I think it speaks for itself. Even if you don't like the aesthetics, anyone modelling any portion of the ECML needs at least one from the four classes pottering about somewhere. Otherwise, how can you claim it's an accurate depiction of the period?

People are very happy to accept they need the "ugly" diesels for their various layouts, and that's fine, but this double standards nonsense with the Thompson Pacifics is exactly that - a nonsense.

Granted that is a very nice model, just a shame it's not of a very nice prototype. :jester:

I'm lucky, I don't think any of the damned things ever made it to Hull so I can justify not having one.

Guest Max Stafford

Please god..not Th***son Pacifics.....anything but. I had actually almost managed to forget they existed.

There's always one...well, two...! ;)

Dave.

Archived