Hornby Class 67

TomE

Re: the missing pipes and front skirting. Have you contacted Hornby to ask about it? I just wonder if it's an oversight, like the 31's and missing high intensity light blister, and they should be supplied with it all. Especially when their ads all show it!

My reference to 'missing pipes/skirts' wasn't anything to do with a model I own, just a comment on photo posted on the day they first arrived that lacked all of the above. I reserve judgment until I see one all properly 'done up'

Guest jim s-w

@ ASH

The names plates are printed on so that When a customer is fixing the etched ones they don't jus stick it on anywhere! It serves as a guide.

I suppose you have to assume people wouldnt think to look for a picture of the real loco at all? Its an obvious thing for a modeller to do but...

Cheers

Jim

I suppose you have to assume people wouldnt think to look for a picture of the real loco at all? Its an obvious thing for a modeller to do but...

Cheers

Jim

But yet there are people who are quite absent minded! And anyway Ash asked why was it printed and I just gave the answer that Hornby gave me. I mailed them about it, frankly a printed nameplate on a body-side that is corrugated is quite ridiculous. Don't you think it would be easier to just know where the plate goes than to literally scan for pictures, yes they are in abundance on the internet but still - it makes it quicker for the modeller

To me it looks a good model, but let down by some silly errors and build quality ... Ill agree with Jim that the roof grill sits too high, making it look odd .. and as perviously mentioned, all those moulded bits on the front arnt really aceeptable when rest of the model is so highly detailed

NL

Guest jim s-w

it makes it quicker for the modeller

You cant 'model' anything unless you look at the real thing - its that simple! I agree it makes it easier for the 'consumer' though :)

One thing that stands out to me (not knowing 67's at all) from the prototype pictures that Jim posted is that the roof lines curve downwards at the ends on the real thing and dont on the model. The fact that the top appears right and the other angles dont would indicate that the shape of the roof (face on) is out somehow.

Cheers

Jim

To me it looks a good model, but let down by some silly errors ....

NL

Add the bogie sideframes to that :( just spotted spring pockets/axleboxes are all squashed up, and the dampers are too small - the lima moulding looks a bit better - i havent even got my 67 yet and im chopping it up :paint:

jon

You cant 'model' anything unless you look at the real thing - its that simple! I agree it makes it easier for the 'consumer' though :)

One thing that stands out to me (not knowing 67's at all) from the prototype pictures that Jim posted is that the roof lines curve downwards at the ends on the real thing and dont on the model. The fact that the top appears right and the other angles dont would indicate that the shape of the roof (face on) is out somehow.

Cheers

Jim

Well Spotted! Now that's been pointed out, its impossible to ignore. How did they manage to get that shape detail wrong?

Im tempted to draw parallels (pun intended) with the Dapol Western: such details were sorted out on here at the CAD stage. If we, who are mostly not professional model designers, can idntify such errors, why can't the professionals who are putting together the model in the first place? And more, why don't Hornby and Bachmann consult their customers through media such as this? As such I'm tempted to say its a MISTAKE that could have been sorted out with more attention to detail or a second opinion. This is in contrast to a design compromise.

My guess is that the curved trasnition from the front to the roof will have masked any face-impacting discrepencies.

But does make one wonder what else is wrong.

I will doubtless get one or more when needs require and liveries attract, but its a pitty as it should have been a “Class-60-esque” definitive model – high spec, computer files (likely) available of the prototype...

If we, who are mostly not professional model designers, can idntify such errors, why can't the professionals who are putting together the model in the first place? And more, why don't Hornby and Bachmann consult their customers through media such as this?

Both valid points there. I wasn't aware of the detailed peculiarities of the design before this thread got going but is does seem that an opportunity to make the definative Class 67 model has sadly not come to fruition with this version. It's starting to go the way of the Heljan 86 discussion!

Martin

• RMweb Gold

What no brake disc inserts ??

I've offered up a Hurst 67 one and a Mk3 coach one.....

The 67 one is WAY TOO BIG. Disturbingly the mk3 coach one might do it......

post-1261-0-66785200-1346687564.jpg

may well get a set of those mk3 discs, they are certainly an improvement on the normal wheels

now ive got mine and had a good look at it im well impressed, definatly a huge improvement over the lima model, i too have a slight flaw in the paint but nothing too obvious unless you really look for it

gave it a good running in on the rolling rd before i chipped it up, dead easy to fit a sound chip, there is a cowl over the drive shafts which also houses the cab light, i have fitted the chip under that and run the speaker wires through to the fuel tanks

i have fitted it with a small bass enhanced speaker as i dont have a spare rectangular lok-sound speaker, fired it up and it sounds superb, the bass speaker facing downwards sounds loads better than the chip did in the lima model with a round speaker

next up is removing the wsmr decals and fitting the nameplates but thats for tomorrow!

Regarding the brake discs, I have a set fitted to a Lima 67, which are just visible in the attached pic. (I could do a closer pic if interested?)

These where produced by Intercity Models (http://www.intercity...ccessories.html About half-way down, item ICA33)

post-7258-0-37625200-1346717306_thumb.jpg

(I must add, my weathering skills have gotten better since I did this loco!)

Andy.

Archived