Hornby Class 67

TomE

I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the Hornby TTS sounds.  

As a Modern Image modeler, I don't have too many steam locos, however I've chosen where possible as preserved, and these as it happens have been Hornby, all fitted with TTS.  I'm not too bothered with the synchronisation, to me it sounds like a steam loco so I'm happy.  I know a lot will disagree and that's fine.

For the price they are very good and but as most have said and I agree, not as good as premium sound chips.

I thinnki the TTS Class 40 and 47 souund very nice. I also got a TTS Mallard and cock of the north. Sounds ok but my own feeling is that TTS steam locos sound the same, except for the whistle. The diesels are different and from seeing clips on youtube the diesel sounds are fairly authentic, especially the Class 40 and its distinctive whilstling noise

Next 2 on my list will be the Class 20 and possibly the 4F if it dosent sound the same as the A4 and P2

• RMweb Premium

Interesting.Hornby's 56 exhibited identical gremlins.Interesting also to know that you test before despatch.Something worth knowing .

The spring contacts between chassis and cab are the main culprits of lights not working.

50, 56, 60 and 67 all need care in relocating the body onto the chassis. 56 is the worst IMO.

And it's not just Hornby, I have a couple of Bachmann 150's that can be erratic in the lighting department.

Cheers,

Mick

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Having just purchased the Class 67 with TTS sound I found that only one set of bogies were being driven, I wouldn't have found the problem had I not placed the loco on a rolling road for running in, there are at least two comments on Hornby's forum and I guess that if the loco is just placed on the track initially it will take a while to find it.

Fortunately Rails responded super quick and the replacement is fully functional, having purchased TTS steamers in the past and been really disappointed with the running of the loco's this 67 is a breath of fresh air I may keep it like it is for a while while I get use to driving my very first diesel purchase!

Having just purchased the Class 67 with TTS sound I found that only one set of bogies were being driven, I wouldn't have found the problem had I not placed the loco on a rolling road for running in, there are at least two comments on Hornby's forum and I guess that if the loco is just placed on the track initially it will take a while to find it.

Fortunately Rails responded super quick and the replacement is fully functional, having purchased TTS steamers in the past and been really disappointed with the running of the loco's this 67 is a breath of fresh air I may keep it like it is for a while while I get use to driving my very first diesel purchase!

It’s a pity you had a problem but a Hornby 67 is a good choice for a first diesel – they’re pretty good. If only Hornby provided more lighting options. One of mine is in Arriva Trains Wales livery, hooked up to Hornby Mk. IIIs and a Horby DVT. The Mk. IIIs may be old and in need of retooling but they are very nicely finished. With a (non-TTS) sound decoder installed and a patch of insulating tape to stop the tail lights coming on when going loco first, it’s a very attractive train.

It’s a pity you had a problem but a Hornby 67 is a good choice for a first diesel – they’re pretty good. If only Hornby provided more lighting options. One of mine is in Arriva Trains Wales livery, hooked up to Hornby Mk. IIIs and a Horby DVT. The Mk. IIIs may be old and in need of retooling but they are very nicely finished. With a (non-TTS) sound decoder installed and a patch of insulating tape to stop the tail lights coming on when going loco first, it’s a very attractive train.

I bet it is, any chance you could post a pic or two please No Decorum? Contemplating whether to purchase that exact type of train or not and think a pic would sway me to open my wallet! lol

I bet it is, any chance you could post a pic or two please No Decorum? Contemplating whether to purchase that exact type of train or not and think a pic would sway me to open my wallet! lol

Apologies for the quality. It’s difficult to get the whole train in shot. This is the noisy end:

post-26289-0-41580900-1463254584.jpg

and this is the quieter end:

post-26289-0-20242800-1463254630.jpg

Hornby should have wired the cab light in the DVT to the socket but at least it doesn’t come on when the DVT is trailing.

Just superb! Thank you. I think this may now have to be bought ...

Sorry about that. :( In order to inflict further financial misery, the sound is excellent and is Paul Chetter’s on a Zimo decoder from Digitrains. Hornby’s provision for a speaker is nicely done.

Edit:

For a loco hauled train, it’s a fairly manageable length, depending on the layout, of course, but much shorter than a Pendolino or a Duchess with eighteen on.

Another thought: Dapol’s Chiltern 68 isn’t far off. I wonder if Oxford Rail will delight us all with the appropriate Mk. IIIs. Hornby could produce a superb matching DVT but somehow, I can’t foresee such co-operative behaviour. Perhaps the prices of W&S DVTs and cotton buds will soar.

• RMweb Gold

I have exactly the same set as Jim, and it is a great looking train. I have a thing for 67's and DVT's and also have a complete Wrexham & Shropshire set, and will shortly have both Royal 67's. Lots of scope for play as the sets get mixed around, with other readily available coaches like ex-Virgin Mk3's being in the sets, or the 67 and DVT running solo on training runds etc. 67's are a very versatile loco.

Having had a Scottish leaning to my rolling stock, following the arrival of the Arriva set, I've just added a Realtrack Arriva 'Tom Jones' 143 to my collection and am eagerly anticipating Hornby's Arriva 153 to provide it with some company.

Coupling Problems.

I recently bought an Arriva class 67.   My main issue is that the tension lock coupling mounts droop so much that the loco coupling passes under coupling on the vehicle you are trying to engage.   Problem appeared to be as a result vertical play in the arrowhead mount that supports the NEM pocket and the coupling itself being slightly loose in the NEM pocket.

Trying to put a shim under the arms of the arrowhead inside the loco failed as there was insufficient room and the coupling simply jammed in one position.

Then I noticed back in post 150 that somebody had cut a slot in the lower buffer beam (I think the Americans would call it the pilot beam?)   I took this a stage further by ensuring that the bottom edge of the slot was cut to support the NEM pocket at the correct height.   The pocket almost fell behind the beam in the centre position, so I added a strip of 1.5mm square plastic behind the edge to form a wider support of the mount.   This was glued on with Humbrol Liquid Poly - Plastic Weld would not touch it.   Ensure that the lower edge of the slot is smooth and free from glue.   I rubbed it with a soft pencil together with the bottom of the mount to lubricate.   The black graphite also helps to hide the white plastic.   The rear of the plastic strip will be painted black.

IMG_2896.jpg

In the photo you can also see a small strip of thin white plastic pushed into the mount along with the coupling.   This helps to stop the coupling drooping.

Oddly enough an earlier model '67 did not suffer from coupling droop.   Doesn't seem very consistent quality in this area!  I know everybody hated the old big tension locks but at least they were riveted solidly in place at a constant height.   Manufacturers of several of my modern locos seem to have forgotten that some of us like to couple them onto trains and run them!

BTW At this end of the loco I want all the lights turned off.   This can be achieved by easing out one of the big white connectors at either end of the circuit board (J2 or J3 depending on which end).   You can leave it resting loosely in its receptacle.

N.B. Since writing this I have made some further modifications to the loco coupling and the coupling on the adjacent coach.   Will make a further post soon.   But it's getting late and I still haven't had a proper look at the goodies I bought at today's show...

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Took a trip on a AGA 153 up the Felixstowe branch to Scograil and acquired a TTS Caley 67 for under £120 yesterday. Test run in store :)

An outstanding model that joins my existing 67 collection. The TTS is also excellent and at that price is a bargain. As I posted earlier, I would have bought a full price non-TTS version without any hesitation, but as I only dabble in DCC I couldn't justify to £150+ for it initially. At this price it is a no-brainer, and it is an great package overall. It includes etched plates as well as the usual accessories. I hope Hornby made some money on the deal!

Archived