Hornby Class 67

TomE

I suspect they must have suffered in transit. I have just taken delivery of an EWS and a DBS one, in both cases the boxes were in a sorry state. It's good to see Hornby following the Bachmann packaging style using a moulded plastic wrap around in a plastic sleeve, unfortunately it's not up to the same standard, not as rigid.

The EWS 67 is in perfect condition, fortunately. The DBS one has obviously taken a shock on one corner as there is some paint rubbed off and a buffer shank slightly bent inwards. Fortunately the damage is minimal and doesn't look un prototypical!

Despite the damage it is a very handsome model

There's a lot of repainting and re-gluing done for "in-transit" damage, no?

To be fair on Rail exclusive, despite the shipping cost issue they have been very good in respect of the quality of the 67's.

I was one of those who had to retern my W & S version as not only was the box crushed but the paint finish was also terrible. They exchanged it with no quibles, so yes, good on them for that.

To be fair on Rail exclusive, despite the shipping cost issue they have been very good in respect of the quality of the 67's.

I was one of those who had to retern my W & S version as not only was the box crushed but the paint finish was also terrible. They exchanged it with no quibles, so yes, good on them for that.

I also had to return my W&S loco to Rail Exclusive as per my previous post which was poorly finished and had a damage mark on the roof..

This report answers the question to why I hadn't received my 67018 from them....

I can't believe from the report that Hornby deem these issues as acceptable..

I noticed there doesn't seem to be any stock anywhere, I wonder if it's all been recalled.

This does not look good on Hornby and is very dissapointing.

I wouldn't want to be the quality manager at the plant that manufactured them.... :nono: .

• RMweb Gold

Or they can do what Bachmann did in 2001/2 when they recalled ALL new defective A1's and sent them back to China for re-motoring at their expense.Recall the defective examples PDQ. At £100 a throw,this is a scandal of epic proportions. Hats off to Rail Express.

So it looks as if I WILL be hanging on-to my LImby 67005 for the indefinite future.

Just relieved that I had held back on obtaining one of the new models.

Hornby are meant to be attending at the Folkestone show tomorrow.

How are they going to handle the flack face to face?

• RMweb Gold

This is the reason i buy my models from local shops (mainly), you can have a good look at them before you part with cash, however admittedly i never looked at my 67s til i got home but as i said before i think i got lucky with my pair of loco's both being spot on out of the box

Gave my ews on a good checking over no problems slight bit off fuzziness on yellow panels and the y missing off railway but no signs of any other problems picking up the red one tomorrow will give it a good going over before I buy

• RMweb Premium

My DB Schenker one now sits on my workbench where it will undergo the same buffer beam valance and coupling mod as my EWS one in the morning. One question, does this one come with nameplates as I cannot seem to find them anywhere in the packaging!!

It's quite dissappointing when you have a brand like Hornby who over the years released quite a few excellent models like the 08/9, 31, 43 HST, 50, 56, 60 which were exceptional (with maybe a few issues experienced by individuals) but then came the Class 67 which everyone awaited for I think 2 years with much anticipation and You get such damaged goods!!! I can't believe they went past Quality Control? What can we replace them with. Anyone would immediately notice that theres a flaw. I did'nt expect this from Hornby and then their lack of concern added to the problems.

• RMweb Gold

My DB Schenker one now sits on my workbench where it will undergo the same buffer beam valance and coupling mod as my EWS one in the morning. One question, does this one come with nameplates as I cannot seem to find them anywhere in the packaging!!

Yes nameplates for mine were in the box. They are tiny though.

It's such a pity that the local model shop is a disappearing breed, where you can go in choose a model, inspect it and have it test run.

I was toying with the idea of buying a Model Rail Sentinel but I see on their adverts they will no longer accept cheques as payment.

It's not just RE. I bought my two examples from Rails, both had similar damaged packaging as seen on the RE examples. The DBS one had slight damage to one corner of the loco resulting in a loss of red paint and a bent buffer shank. I suspect this problem applies to the whole batch to a greater or (in the majority of cases from what I read here) lesser extent.

I would have to say that over the past two years I have had to return a lot of Hornby products due to defects and damage, only some of which was a result of man-handling during delivery. Quality control doesn't seem that effective. I don't know haw much of the stock is checked upon arrival in the UK, if any. It certainly seems strange that the problems with the 67 boxes at least wasn't picked up given the number that are being reported as damaged, that should have rung alarm bells about the condition of the trains inside.

Guest dubdee1000

Its gratifying to know that many members have a received models that do not have the ends cracked as seen in the RE models, but my concern would be if it were only a matter of time before mine cracked, since we do not know for certain how they come to have split. It may suggest a design or manufacturing flaw since the 'in-transit damage' referred to would be unlikely to be able to repair itself. All of which sounds similar to the zinc rot that blighted some of the 31's and we are all familiar with how members here have found this time consuming to remedy. It does not seem to be solely the RE models damaged since a Facebook user posted on Model Rails Facebook page on the 10th September that he had received a model with split ends, plus the post submitted above.

I don't share the opinions of some of the other members on here who say what a shame it would be if we lost Hornby. So be it. If your customers lose confidence in you, it is a very slippery slope down. If there is value in the name, it'll reappear. By continuing to exhibit seemingly woeful QC, they deny us the chance to have an accurate model. Think Bachmann will rush to produce a VEP or a 67 to replace the Hornby one? Forget it; your chance for a high-end model with these has gone.

• RMweb Premium

Yes nameplates for mine were in the box. They are tiny though.

Looks like mine have been lost then :no2: (if they were ever in the box in the first place, I am not convinced) so I wonder if an e-mail to Hornby on Monday may elicit a replacement set?

In view of these comments I'll check my WSMR one again (bought from Hattons) - think it's OK though as I've had it out of the box once and didn't notice anything amiss, and there was no damage to the box.

I'm slightly surprised about the cracking at the front corners of the cab. The Lima 67s are notorious for this, so it's obvioulsy a weak point due to the shape of the model. Surprised Hornby didn't use thicker plastic in that area on the new ones to try to prevent this.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like I'm one of the lucky ones, just went over my EWS loco from Hattons very carefully, no problems (other than the vanishing 'y' on 'Railway'). It's always possible that the likes of Hattons have also been checking and only sending out the good examples.

Martin

Hi,

Could this problem be a batch problem?

Seen as only around half seem to be effected, perhaps ones that do have the problem were an earlier production batch and the problem has since been rectified?

Of course above is just guess work, so do NOT take it as fact.

Simon

As I've said my DB loco from MODElFAIR was in mint con' but I have to ask why a retailer would even send a loco out if the box is clearly damaged.

Saying that I only buy from retailers who I know, yes at times I have to pay a little more postage but I've not had to return anything in a long time.

OMG is that the kiss of death or what :O

Archived