Hornby Class 67

TomE

Don't understand why everyone calls certain types of model shops 'box shifters', isn't that the point of the business? What's the alternative? 'Shelf fillers' ?

I don't think the face looks particularly good on the W&S one, hoping the EWS one is better. It's hard to judge when the light clusters are yellow. Rest of the loco looks pretty good.

Those are some great photos on the Rail exclusive review - the first one in particular really shows the model just *looks* like a 67 should. :locomotive:

But , how comes the ETH socket has vanished from the bufferbeam ? (should be on the left) it was on the pre production samples ?

The printed horn grilles and wipers are a bit "meh" - but nothing some modelling cant fix. If this model really has arrived a bit earlier than expected then lets hope the EWS one does as well please!

Perhaps a 'fail' for Hornbys attempt at the distinctive class 67 brake discs - those are some pretty scary looking wheels! :sarcastichand:

Jon

I think as mentioned on the REM modeller webpage, the bufferbeam looks to be the weakest point of the model, and I agree, all moulded lumps that are meant to represent the various safety lock for the buckeye coupling, and the fact there is no hole to fit the ETH cable into shows sloppyness on Hornbys part, which is a shame as the rest of the model is so well detailed

NL

the model just *looks* like a 67 should

I don't agree Jon. Going on the photo's I've seen the front end doesn't look right due to the large amount of "nothingness" ahead of the bogies and under the buffer beam. The body also looks too "high" to me too, so many "gaps" can be seen when viewed side on.

For me, the older model doesn't have these faults and captures the bulk of the original much better. Shame as returning to the hobby a year or so ago I didn't have any 67's and when this improved version was announced decided to wait before adding the type to my stable but I'm not sure I will at the moment. Perhaps need to see more pics of one...

Martin

I don't agree Jon. Going on the photo's I've seen the front end doesn't look right due to the large amount of "nothingness" ahead of the bogies and under the buffer beam.

Morning - looks just right I think :

http://ukrailwaypics...721_N4XdB-L.jpg

and thats a nice picture showing what the brake discs should look like as well (if any friendly etchers are watching :)

tfn

Jon

Well I received my W&S Class 67 through the post today and I am a little disappointed about the quality of the model.

The paint job around the front lower sides is clearly overdone.

There is a fault in the edge on the lower body, just below the grill, and under the nameplate in the centre of the body.

The top on the grey end has three marks across the top of it on the roof fold lines,

The printing doesn't appear to be up to Hornbys normal standard in my humble opinnion...

That's straight out of the box.

some pictures for your opinnions....

DSCF0641.jpg

DSCF0640.jpg

DSCF0639.jpg

DSCF0638.jpg

DSCF0637.jpg

DSCF0636.jpg

Maybe I'm just a bit fussy but this has just cost £96....

Looks better on those pictures actually, quite like it. Not something that's going to affect me, but it's really daft that Hornby have printed the nameplates on. Firstly, nobody would be happy to leave it like that as it looks ridiculous printed into the body. Secondly, it comes with etched plates so why bother? It just makes it harder if someone wants to rename/number it.

That cooler group looks superb, but overall though, it doesn't look quite up to the standard of the Class 60. It is also about £20-30 cheaper. Maybe they feel the 60 isn't selling as well as it should because it's too good? I must admit, the class 60 is a super super model, but I only have one. Even used ones go for about £70-80. Maybe this is their compromise.

Guest jim s-w

I was wondering that Ash. Is this high end railroad range or low end premium range. Either way they have got rid of those stupid opening doors!

Cheers

Jim

It looks a case of 'some and some' Bound to run really nicely, is sound ready, as mentioned cooler etc looks great. The front end without pipework, screw links, swing head and valance fitted looks awful so I need to reserve judgement on that. W&S ivery nasty/historic any way and the comments re printed nameplates are spot on. Why oh why?

As for box shifter comments? What else are we going to call the bigger retailers? Come up with a better/funnier/more appropriate name for the guys in Liverpool/Sheffield etc and I will use it.

Think the EWS ones will fly off the shelves and interesting point re the price point to. Have Hornby caught a cold or made some production compromises? If the issue is just opening doors I am with JSW on that one.

There's no real comparison between the new Hornby model and the old lima thing - The lima version is way way way wrong - The cabs are too short and too wide -the cab roof is the wrong shape (badly) the bodyside ribs are the wrong way round - windscreens are completely the wrong size and shape , and everything on the lower cab front is the wrong size and in the wrong place -

Hornby have the 67 shape spot on, The old lima 67 has the right number of wheels , but thats about it!

How else would people know where to put the etched ones? :)

Keith

You have a point!! Only relly annoys on a generic model which could easily be runumbered if it wasn't for silly printed nameplates. So all hail to Bachmann for doing a few 'ordinary' non celeb locos like Mainline Liveried 37415.....and for every sector loco with a name there were probably 10 without so why oh why does almost every release have to be a namer? Rant over.

You have a point!! Only relly annoys on a generic model which could easily be runumbered if it wasn't for silly printed nameplates. So all hail to Bachmann for doing a few 'ordinary' non celeb locos like Mainline Liveried 37415.....and for every sector loco with a name there were probably 10 without so why oh why does almost every release have to be a namer? Rant over.

Just making a guess based on my own personal needs, but perhaps a named loco has a more personal connection with the collector or is more "prized" (for lack of a better word). For example for me I would love a 67 but they do not fit my collecting period however if one was released in the recent Diamond Jubilee livery I would buy one just because of the occasion. I am sure others would as well.

Re: the missing pipes and front skirting. Have you contacted Hornby to ask about it? I just wonder if it's an oversight, like the 31's and missing high intensity light blister, and they should be supplied with it all. Especially when their ads all show it!

• RMweb Gold

I'm still not completely sold about the shape, particularly of the front cab end.

i had a look at the model earlier in trident trains, compared it to a photo i took of 67012 yesterday and it looks pretty damn close to me, compare the model to this.....

A86AFC4C-E8A3-4474-B80C-3124FE44818A-602-0000004740CCD64D.jpg

maybe the problem is comparing it to the lima model the new one has a correctly angled front whereas the lima one is virtually slab fronted........

0DB6528C-D439-41E7-A492-D285A91DB7A2-1412-0000018296E3F1E6.jpg

looking forward to getting mine on monday from hasligton models, T-cut at the ready to get the wrexham decals off, sound chip ready to fit too

I think that is partially the reason - I think the 'pointed' end is more obvious on the WSMR livery rather than the EWS. The angle which I'm not a fan of is the second photo above (as in the second photo on this page) - perhaps its a case of not seeing a 67 in real life that often from this angle!

It looks a good model but am I right in thinking it etched grills at one end and plastic at the other. I also pointed out to the Hornby chap at the DEMU show case about disc brake wheels. He said its got them. I said were. It's a nice model but it hardly got the wow factor and for a high rrp well my moneys staying in my wallet for now. I was really looking forward to this model coming out but it looks like arther dune the job again.

• RMweb Gold

the separate roof etch is sitting too high which to my eyes makes the transision between the cab and main body look odd

compare to this, the pointy front isnt as obvious on No 18 either, maybe its the fact your eye is drawn to my round belly instead!

a7b6cdf2.jpg

nice view of the discs too

Morning - looks just right I think :

http://ukrailwaypics...721_N4XdB-L.jpg

Ahhh, see what you mean now Jon and I take back what I said. Does indeed look right having viewed that photo.

I think it didn't help that the photos of the model didn't show the valance and pipes fitted which reading the comments above now need clarification on whether they are or are not included with the model. I would presume they should be, just been missed out some of the first examples to leave the factory.

Martin

Archived