RMweb

Upbech St Mary, Upbech Drove and Pott Row a journey through 00 and then into EM and 009.

mullie

2 hours ago, hayfield said:

Martyn

I have just been given a book titled "Branchline To Upwell" I look forward to understanding the line as I know very little

The book is great,  it is a fascinating line, enjoy. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Number two daughter has now moved to London.  We went to see her for the first time last weekend. After some boring stuff we decided to head to Central London for food and a wander. 

Her local station is Norwood Junction,  even on a Sunday afternoon she didn't bother looking up times as 12 coach trains are every 15 minutes. London seems so much busier than when I lived there during my uni years.  We passed through Brockley and New Cross Gate on the way in, my old stops. Here is Norwood Junction. 

20231022_151239.jpg.f8bf147f5cd24aca6b2037607e80dc27.jpg

20231022_151248.jpg.0fdea0375e5cf3837fbe8787d9b46e10.jpg

20231022_151313.jpg.89f79df7b7d41762c8244943cbfd4a47.jpg

London Bridge has changed out of all recognition and stock wise is nowhere near as interesting in my view. The view from platform 5 has certainly changed. 

20231022_184927.jpg.8532279d1e0b55b8c8637461e192e548.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Like you, some London places look a little different from my days. In your first pic, I think that dead end on the Up side was, in 1974, the final resting place of a runaway train. It had escaped unmanned - and un-passengered! - from Caterham, after being prepared for morning service. It gathered speed downhill and rattled through Purley. A newspaper report said it was doing a good 25 mph by the time it reached East Croydon, so despite plenty of staff there "Volunteers to board it were not significant". The chaps at Norwood Junction box diverted it into, I believe, that dead end. No-one was hurt, but I suspect a member of Caterham traincrew had a few questions to answer. 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 25/10/2023 at 20:22, Oldddudders said:

Like you, some London places look a little different from my days. In your first pic, I think that dead end on the Up side was, in 1974, the final resting place of a runaway train. It had escaped unmanned - and un-passengered! - from Caterham, after being prepared for morning service. It gathered speed downhill and rattled through Purley. A newspaper report said it was doing a good 25 mph by the time it reached East Croydon, so despite plenty of staff there "Volunteers to board it were not significant". The chaps at Norwood Junction box diverted it into, I believe, that dead end. No-one was hurt, but I suspect a member of Caterham traincrew had a few questions to answer. 

I think the dead end you refer to is now a through road.

20231022_151234.jpg.b1e8e86b40a2eadf8fdc6553069c71c3.jpg

London Bridge just wasn't the same without 33s including slim Jim's, DEMUs and the occasional class 73 though it was a lot cleaner. Smoking was allowed on trains in those days and a lot of London still hadn't been cleaned. I think there may have even been WWII bomb damage around Ludgate Hill? I was younger then!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hayfield said:

Mullie

A great buy there, as you say you need to re-wheel it anyway. Lets hope changing the wheels is easy

With some time to kill I took it apart earlier. Seems the problem might be that the gear wheels are simply spinning on their axles so I might need only to remove them to put on some new EM axles and wheels, very strange. It will need a decoder and the wiring needs re channeling so it can't be seen and there is a loose wire that needs a home. Then it will need detailing and weathering. Might make a nice project for a dark night.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
On 25/10/2023 at 20:22, Oldddudders said:

Did that one run away ‘wrong road’?

“Caterham Locking” was the result of an accident and is having the trailing crossover lying in the crossover position when normal, and restored to that position after every move, so I assume that was the accident that resulted in the Three Bridges interlocking being designed that way.

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 2

Nothing worth photographing yet but a landmark nevertheless. Having finished the bodies of the six wheelers a few weeks ago the two chassis were finished this afternoon after many hours work. Next job is to sort out fitting body to chassis, give it all a good scrub, order buffers from Alan Gibson and prime. A Eureka moment was ordering a GE Journal back number that had a good side view of the middle axle box arrangement, I don't keep all mine due to space. The Society Emporium is excellently run, I emailed a query about type 5 carriages and was told exactly what journal number I needed to order and it arrived via download very quickly once paid for.

It has been a challenging build, probably the most challenging thing I've done. Recently I have been putting in some extra hours as I  I wanted to get it the build completed before the garage gets too cold. The joys of no longer being a full time member of staff in a school is that I have my evenings free and the current songwriting and recording project I'm working on has hit a lull.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, mullie said:

I have been working on these since the end of August, now I think they are ready to take their place on the layout. They are of an older type than survived to nationalisation but in the absence of the right type they are nice models of real GE carriages.

20231213_203540.jpg.ecfdd11e675972034e06fa36df280831.jpg

20231213_203558.jpg.a56defbd077101840bb8fc7a301347d8.jpg

20231213_203610.jpg.5c3cd6ab915f4715714556229434dda9.jpg

They are Eveleigh kits, well designed but requiring the following additional items:

EM Society axleboxes

MJT axle box springs

Gibson or Wizard wheels (can't remember which)

Silver Tay lamp brackets

Wizard gas lamp fittings and Westinghouse hoses

Cheap temperature controlled soldering iron, one day when it breaks down I'll buy a better one.

Multi core, low melt soldier and flux

Endless patience

Large vocabulary of bad language

Good sounds and blue tooth speaker

Garage at useable temperature, now expired

The primed bodies were pre shaded with black ink and then lightly sprayed with Tamiya red brown so the black showed under the finish. A coat of Klear followed as photos suggest they were not of a matt finish, followed up by washes of more ink in the crevices and dry brushing a combination of brown and yellow ochre. Carriages on the Kelvedon and Tollesbury, in a rare colour photo seem to be of a lighter colour than dark Stratford brown.

All very nice, will need extra supplies of these can you recommend a supplier?

Endless patience

Large vocabulary of bad language

Good sounds and blue tooth speaker

Garage at useable temperature, now expired

The latter is seldom available here in Inverness.

Kevin

• Friendly/supportive 1