Well, as I have another 3 (4 if you count the ROTANK) tank wagons still to do, I am going to think up some more tank related puns...

Lovely job, Castle. I Shell BP-leased to see what Stefan Mex of his too.

Very nice. The subtle weathering is excellent.

Not too subtle though. It Texaco-at of muck for a tank wagon to look realistic.

Think I'd better go now...

Neil

• Like 2

Hi Castle.

1363 is looking very nice, can I ask what you used for the windows. Polly's 14xx is sadly lacking in this department. Would be nice to get some in before the lid goes on. She had a weathering hands on demo with her newly acquired 'Toad' at Worley so I'll leave that bit for her to do.

Ray.

Hi Ray,

The windows are just a bit of blister packaging - mine came off some 9v batteries! The advantage here is that as it has been vacuum formed to make the blister, if you pick you area within the forming it is nicely thin! Deluxe Materials Glue 'n' Glaze is the adhesive of choice - nowt better in my humble opinion!

I look forward to seeing little No. 1466 (Mk. 2) in all its glazed and weathered finery soon!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

Lovely job, Castle. I Shell BP-leased to see what Stefan Mex of his too.

Not too subtle though. It Texaco-at of muck for a tank wagon to look realistic.

Think I'd better go now...

Neil

Hi Neil,

I guess it falls to me to say that OIL be back with another one soon.

Coat on and heading out of door...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

Getting the bridge rail to look right would be a real challenge, I think. You are right about the coarse track - especially as a lot of the broad gauge stock looked so elegant. very exposed too, for fitting a mechanism in.

out of interest , anyone know a loction when broad, standard and narroww gauge met? now that would make for interesting trackwork (that I would have no chance of replicating - you can't make track out of cardboard, so it is beyond me :D )

thanks for the interesting thoughts (and thread), castle

ta

andy

The Beltubet line in Ireland had standard and narrow gauge lines meeting

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Hi to Nigel - thanks for looking in! That is a blast (or an answer) from the past! Still, good to get an answer none the less - cheers!

On to modelling matters.

This is the end...

...well of my fitted freight train anyway. The Toad is a symbol of the GWR in the same way that panniers and copper capped chimneys are. The single ended verandah design dates back to the 1880s. The AA21 Toads are of the fitted variety and were built during the Second World War as part of a government contract. After the conflict, they settled down to normal service use until union pressures eventually forced these and several other older designs on brake van out of use.

No. 17447 was built in 1940 to Diagram AA.21, as part of Lot 1370. This particular Toad was saved by David Rawlinson as part of a small cache of ex GWR / BR(W) vehicles that were initially based at Steamport, Southport and later at Preston Dock. On his death they were bequeathed to the Great Western Society and found their way to the Railway Age at Crewe in March 2004 where restoration was started by the GWS North West Group. No. 17447 came to 81E in October 2008 where it is high on the list of priorities of the wagon group not least because it will enable visitors to partake in both brake van rides and widen the scope of the visitor participation events to include guard experiences too with the added comfort and safety of the use of a fully fitted freight vehicle.

post-14393-0-11802500-1354974433_thumb.jpg

To build No. 17447 I started with the good old and most ubiquitous Ratio kit and go from there. It is vaguely (!) to one of the AA20 something diagrams.

post-14393-0-23556600-1354974570_thumb.jpg

So things that need doing include:

1 A Dart Castings vacuum cylinder needs putting in the end of the verandah.

2 The clasp brake gear needs detailing and converting to vacuum operation.

3 Frogmore etched hand rails and running boards.

4 train pipe and vacuum setter on the veranda.

5 Frogmore etched sanding levers.

6 a general refinement of the detail.

I have put an interior on a 4mm scale Toad before but the windows are so small, it really isn't visible. A dose of matt black on the inside will soon take care of any requirement for that sort of thing! The bits look like this.

post-14393-0-58331000-1354974638_thumb.jpg

The first order of business is to get the chassis running so floor, sole bars, bearings, brakes and wheels were united. Due to the way the kit is designed, the usual large lump of Castle related laziness that is building the thing in 3 bits to be sprayed three different colours just won't work. It is the only non etched kit that has defeated me this way. Oh well, out with the masking tape I suppose...

post-14393-0-15432000-1354974768_thumb.jpg

The next job is to get rid of the moulded handrails on the body sections. It took quite a while gently trimming, scraping and avoiding fingers (!) so I won't bore any more than I do normally and I will just show you a before and after shot.

post-14393-0-19746100-1354974828_thumb.jpg

I then built the wagon up. Verandah end first...

post-14393-0-81805300-1354975006_thumb.jpg

...and then the main body.

post-14393-0-53861800-1354975355_thumb.jpg

I then added the etched lamp irons, trying to avoid doing the handrails. I then did the little door handles on the verandah, still trying to avoid doing the big square handrails. Then it struck me - the etched Frogmore handrails come in a size large enough to do the tricky end bits of the main handrails - all I had to do was fill in the long sections. To tell you the truth, I will only know if this looks good after I have painted it but nothing ventured, nothing gained! A set of Mr Franks' finest whitemetal buffers were also fitted to the ends and the holes made for the scale couplings.

post-14393-0-32156000-1354975581_thumb.jpg

The inside of the verandah then gots the various bits and pieces fitted to it. This includes the sandboxes, the etched sandbox levers & linkages, a whitemetal vacuum cylinder (funny positioning on this one isn't it?), handbrake and a nice planked effect styrene floor.

post-14393-0-53021500-1354975688_thumb.jpg

Still to do is the sanding lever and the brake setter on the cabin end of the verandah, the etched running boards, the roof and its uprights and a whole pile of little odds, ends and paint...

Once more unto the workbench my friends, once more...

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi All,

Putting the warts on the toad.

The build of little No. 17447 continues! Now, I have pottered here and there over the week end and being a dozy twit, I shot a coat of white primer over the model without taking photos of the rest of the progress. Oh well - stupid is as stupid does...

The first bit was to finish off the detail on the verandah. The brake setter and gauge came from a spare whitemetal 14XX back head that came with the detail kit I used to make little No. 5572 auto fitted. It has slowly had little bits chopped of to do various jobs and is looking pretty hacked about now! The pipe is a strand of copper wire from some cooker grade cable an the handle is a bit of fret from some etched detail kit or other. If you are anything like me, you will have a bag of these squirrelled away for just such a purpose! The sanding lever comes from the Frogmore etch but is actually the fret from the outside as the etch only provides the lever for the rear boxes. A little trim and a bit of work to shape the handle end and away we go!

post-14393-0-44770500-1355126992_thumb.jpg

The etched running boards are also Frogmore items and I tried fitting them as is and it was a pain - I kept knocking them off! Then I realised that the way I was trying to fit them was wrong and that the middle two hangers are different on the AA21 Toad...

post-14393-0-12187300-1355127060_thumb.jpg

Again, using old fret gave me the material to make the new straight hangers in the middle and the two outer ones were fitted into rather than under the sole bars. They are fixed in place and much more difficult to knock off now!

post-14393-0-49591000-1355127161_thumb.jpg

The roof also needed the end frame adding to it as the moulded one met its maker (or rather the floor) in a rather frustrating accident.

post-14393-0-91748900-1355127214_thumb.jpg

I was hoping to have at least the coloured layer of paint on by the end of today but the matt black cans I had in the cupboard were BOTH empty - Grrrrrr! Never mind, we will have another go at painting tomorrow once I have been to Halfords!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 13

Hi All,

Thanks for all the likes people - much appreciated!

Kev: you should have worked out by now that the severity of the personal need for any given commodity in a large chain store scales exactly as to how little will be on the shelf when you get to the chosen emporium and / or how difficult it is for them to get hold of if there is no more on said shelf. This will usually be accompanied by said vendor's employee sucking air over their teeth and saying "well, you might have a problem there"...

Its all down to a guy called Murphy I think!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 2

This will usually be accompanied by said vendor's employee sucking air over their teeth and saying "well, you might have a problem there"...

and "...we don't know when we'll be getting any more..." "...deliveries are usually Tuesdays (replaceable with any other day of the month at their will) but we don't know what will be on the delivery..."

To their credit last time I couldn't get the colour I wanted on the shelf Halfords let me order a whole bunch of tins and then rang me when they appeared (<1 week later).

• Like 2

Hi Rich,

Not to be forgotten is the immortal:

"The computer says no!"

I must admit that my local Halfords is pretty good too and keeps the modelling essentials in stock almost without fail. I wonder how much of Halfords paint ever goes near a car? I think that us modellers must make up a goodly slice of the market and what with the hoodies, louts and other assorted graffiti 'artists' (and I use that term in absence of one that means disgusting oik that draws on other people's stuff and makes the place look untidy) it must be one, maybe two cans in ten!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 1

Hi All,

Yet more maintenance tips from Little Didcot...

So, you want to remove the body from your Bachmann Pannier? As a Christmas treat for you all, this is how you do it in real life...

The front is attached via a series of bolts that connect it to both the frames and the cylinder block. These all have to come out.

post-14393-0-81598500-1355614331_thumb.jpg

One or two might be stubborn!

post-14393-0-85728100-1355614386_thumb.jpg

The firebox rests on a pair of slides - one either side - and has a clamping strip (the bit resting on the running plate) called the holding down bracket.

post-14393-0-75674500-1355614482_thumb.jpg

The tanks are already off as this has to be done outside and therefore we are going to start the process by removing the cab roof. A few bolts need loosening first...

post-14393-0-35245300-1355614574_thumb.jpg

...and then chain up and lift it off with a 50 ton hoist.

post-14393-0-95442500-1355614739_thumb.jpg

The cab roof is swung out of the way using the hoists 6 ton auxiliary hand driven crane. It will make your pannier look a bit like the early cabless version or ever so slightly Dean Goods, so Stephan may well be tempted to start modifying at this point but we must resist!

post-14393-0-24097500-1355614859_thumb.jpg

You then give your boiler a little tug with the main hoist at the front end to loosen its grip on the front of the frames. A block of wood is placed in to prevent it all going back together again.

post-14393-0-29290500-1355615117_thumb.jpg

Then you set up the strops so that you lift around the boilers centre of gravity is taken into account and the greater weight of the firebox is taken into account. Then lift away, ensuring that you have a pair of ropes on the smokebox end to control any swinging that may happen.

post-14393-0-01338300-1355616029_thumb.jpg

You then need to push the locos frames out of the way.

post-14393-0-35699800-1355616189_thumb.jpg

Make sure they are completely out of the way before attempting the next step.

post-14393-0-51540200-1355616480_thumb.jpg

Then, carefully lower your boiler into position onto an awaiting boiler trolley. Maintenance and repairs can then ensue!

post-14393-0-02695000-1355616629_thumb.jpg

The reason for the boiler lift is to perform some repairs to stays in the lower firebox throat plate. Unfortunately, the stays that need attention are exactly in line with a frame stretcher in the locomotive that means there is literally no access unless you take the boiler right out like this. Of all the places we could have needed to work on in the pannier firebox, this is one of the worst from the point of view of access!

It took a gang of about ten people around 3 1/2 days to reduce No. 3738 to the point whereby the pannier tanks could be lifted off. It took an afternoon, 4 people and one of the small mobile 5 ton shunting cranes operating outside to lift the tanks off and there was a further day spent today with about ten of us to get the boiler out safely and on the trolley. The repairs and reassembly is hoped to be completed in a few months time. No. 3738 will return to active duty very soon.

Well, back to the 4mm scale world tomorrow hopefully!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I just wandered over here after posting about the boilers and seeing your link, and over an hour later I reach the end of the thread! Some great modelling, and despite my north-eastern leanings I am bowled over with 1363, she is a litlle beauty!

Nice work, keep it up.

Neil

• Like 1

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated! It may be a GWR thread but as you can see from reading through it, visitors from all regions and eras are most welcome. The same can be said of the real 81E too!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Premium

Castle,

Thanks for an inspirational post. I am home safe and sound for a few weeks and thought that I would start off with the 6 wheel water tank - it was simple, quick and really got my modelling mojo back very quickly.

I have a tunnel TOAD to finish tonight, and a Collett to clean up (post weathering - "put it on and take lots back off") and then it's the K40 Comet kit I started back in June.

Looks like I won't be here in time for the 72XX and the Dukedog arriving (TrePol&Pen plates from Jackson Evans have been in the bits box since June) - but that's something to look forward to for my next trip home.

• Like 1

Hi M.I.B.,

I am sure that I speak for us all here when I say that I am glad to hear that you are back in Blighty and in one piece! I am going brass with my 72XX so I will get into that one sometime next year. I have a Toad roof to weather and a guard figure to paint (again - made a mess of it the first place!) to finish of No. 17447. Might get to see to that in the next few days. I too have a Comet full brake to build next - one of my Xmas presents I am told - but mine will be a K42 that will get converted to a K41 (new gutters mainly!). I hope you will post your build of the K40 for us to enjoy and learn from as I have one to build to represent No. 111. No Dukedog for me - the Bluebell, not Didcot got that one... Looks like a great little model though!

Many thanks for the kind comments about the thread!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

Hi All,

A small load of Toad...

Well, that will do. I've procrastinated enough with this one and we had better post it up and call it done!

The little No. 17447 is about there now so a quick tour round Little Didcot's latest addition is in order. From the front it looks a bit like this. I have added two splodges of fresh unweathered GWR freight grey above the number so it looks like the G W markings have been painted out and an off centre and slightly different W for the prefix. I also had some wagon plates on a Mainly Trains etch which have found there way on board too. The etched running boards are a massive and easily accomplished improvement and my version of the handrails is just about passable as it rushes past on a fast freight I suppose!

post-14393-0-32593700-1356363200_thumb.jpg

The roof was painted Freight Grey too and was made out to be very grubby white by the use of successive layers of Tamiya 'snow' weathering powder with the other grimy colours thrown in here and there to create the filth. I don't suppose anyone ever washed it... I spent loads and loads of time on a guard figure that I meticulously repositioned and painted - twice (!) and eventually, after a first try at photographing little No. 17447, I ripped it out and repainted the slight scar in the paintwork that he left. I guess the moral of this story is don't be afraid to get rid of something you have invested a lot of time in. If it ain't right, it ain't right. To tell you the truth I should never have stuck it in but there we are - lesson learned! I had a go at a bent handrail on the other side - I am not sure if it looks right or contrived yet - perhaps it will grow on me? Still, you can only see a model from one side at a time...

post-14393-0-25526400-1356363251_thumb.jpg

The final look here shows that there is lots to see on the verandah although to tell you the truth you won't see a lot of it when it is in operation. I was right not to fit the interior - it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. It probably does in 7mm scale but down here in 4mm, not so much. Oh well, I know it is at least vaguely right!

post-14393-0-36290600-1356363303_thumb.jpg

That's it for pre Christmas Little Didcot, I wish you all a very happy day tomorrow and a peaceful and prosperous new year and also my thanks for putting up with me on RMWEB for nearly 12 months now! I know I have posted this little cheeky Christmas smile from 'Oliver' elsewhere on the forum but still, it should serve to raise a grin again (and provide excellent front end detail information for 14XX modellers everywhere!).

post-14393-0-35534800-1356363447_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Yes, a great thread and have a great Christmas.

I did actually visit Big Didcot for the first time in summer 2011, and can throughly reccomend it, it is a lot more interesting than I gave credit for.  That it was the wettest day in christendom only slightly put me off, but that weather seems standard for summer now! 

So there we go, Manx exiled Geordie enjoys things GWR stylee, whatever next!

Joking aside, please keep your thread going, it is very inspirational, and if we ever get so far south again I'll definately call in to Big Didcot again, even Mrs NHN enjoyed it!

Neil

• Like 1

Hi All,

Merry Christmas to one and all! Thanks for all the really kind comments and likes people!

I am glad you enjoyed Big Didcot as well Neil - we aim to please! As I have said before, it doesn't matter where the preserved railway vehicle comes from, as long as it's preserved!

Perhaps I shoud do another RMWEB Member's tour of 81E sometime next summer?

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Neil, perhaps you can make that the next YouTube sensation?

Well, I do have a live steam Vale of Rheidol tank..... but videoing is out of the question at the moment as I can't walk!  Recovering from major hip surgery I'm afraid, so all action on the garden railway is out of bounds until Spring. :nono:  :help:  :(  :(

Hi Neil,

That sounds very painful - sorry to hear that you are immobile over Christmas.

The VoR tank sounds like we will have a nice video or two to watch in the summer - I look forward to seeing it!

All the best,

Castle

• 2 weeks later...

No Problem Chris!

The aim is to share the Didcot collection in both 4mm and 12" to the foot formats! Hopefully you will come and visit us some time... As suggested before, I will have a chat with Andy Y and see about me organising another RMWEB member's visit to 81E sometime this summer.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 4