No Problem Chris!

The aim is to share the Didcot collection in both 4mm and 12" to the foot formats! Hopefully you will come and visit us some time... As suggested before, I will have a chat with Andy Y and see about me organising another RMWEB member's visit to 81E sometime this summer.

All the best,

Castle

It is my intention to visit in the not too distant future. I've discovered its quite easy to get there by train and with friends/family working and at university in nearby areas, the trip can be combined.

Its a good idea to have an RMWeb day though, especially as it seems we have someone on the inside!

Thanks

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I shall keep my eye open for an RMWeb Didcot day.  Hopefully on a day when I am home.

Sadly I am back "here" again - loads of modelling time, but no models or kit here - It's a non starter doing modelling here really.

Didn't get any further on the K40 or Collett 0-6-0, but I did finish a whole pile of small unfinished projects - including detailing some Wrenn MICAs and dipping some Triang clerestories ready for MIB Snr to paint and detail in his spare time.  He has produced the best hand-painted clerestories I have ever seen (even tho I am a little biased).

Have decided to buy a K42 sides kit from Comet to accompany my the as yet unbuilt K40. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

What a difference a year makes...

Well, this is it - one whole year on RMWEB -Woo Hoo! So what have I accomplished in that modelling year? Well, I have shared with you all of my builds from this year that look like this:

Gas Turbine Prototype 18000

14XX Class 0-4-2 No. 1466

S10 BLOATER Fish Van

X8 MICA B No. 112843

X7 TEVAN No. 79953

DD6 Drinking Water Tanker No. 101

G26 ASMO No. 116954

56XX Class 0-6-2 No. 6697

O29 5 plank open wagon No. 117993

5101 Class 2-6-2 Large Prairie Tank No. 4144 (the only build I have started on here and not finished - not bad going!)

43XX Class 2-6-0 Churchward Mogul No. 5322

Shunters truck No. 100377

4575 Class 2-6-2 Small Prairie Tank No. 5572

V34 Goods Van No. 145428

V14 MINK A No. 101720

V14 MINK A No. 101836

V38 Plywood Van No. 146366

1361 Class 0-6-0 Saddle Tank No. 1363

D2039 LMS 12 ton Ventilated Vans No. 517791

D2039 LMS 12 ton Ventilated Vans No. 516673

P.O. Tank Wagon No. 745

AA21 TOAD A No. 17447

A total of 22 vehicles modifed, built or reviewed. Together we have also serviced the bogie from a Britannia, played host to an A4 and taken the boiler off a pannier tank. The rest of the little Didcot fleet that is ready for action but hasn't yet been featured looks like this:

Y11 FRUIT D No. 2913

O11 5 plank open No. 19818

AA3 TOAD No. 56400

J28 Macaw B No. 70335

P15 10ton Ballast wagon No. 80659

P15 10ton Ballast wagon No. 80668

T12 Chaired Sleeper Wagon No. 100682

G31 MOGO No. 105742

V22 MINK G No. 112843

P18 MONSTER CCT No. 484

P19 PYTHON CCT No. 565

O33 SIPHON G CCT No. 2796

10XX Class 4-6-0 No. 1014 'County of Glamorgan'

8750 Class 0-6-0 Pannier TankNo. 3738

49XX Class 4-6-0 No. 5900 'Hinderton Hall'

6959 Class 4-6-0 No. 6998 'Burton Agness Hall'

78XX Class 4-6-0 No. 7808 'Cookham Manor'

If there are any requests to see any of these projects then let me know - I will feature them sooner rather than later! I have worked out that there are 131 vehicles at Didcot at fall into the time period that I work in so the 39 vehicles above mean that I only have another 92 to hack, slash, weather and reconstitute! At least another 4 years work at current rates. And then I need to build a layout to run it all on... You will note from the list above that there is something of a dearth of passenger coaching stock. I have a slow burning project to build the 4 auto trailers from Didcot and No. 231 is nearly done but I thought that if I was going to start really doing coaches then I ought to go big or go home! This is why I am going to announce my next train project as 'The Boat Train'. This I have based on a post war formation of:

Castle / Full Brake / MONSTER / Super Saloon with Kitchen / Super Saloon / Super Saloon / SIPHON G

As I am limited to the stock that is preserved at 81E and the fact that I wish to have a parcels train (with a MONSTER in it) at some point I have changed it slightly, but I don't think unbelievably to:

Castle / Collett Full Brake / SIPHON G / Super Saloon with Kitchen / Super Saloon / Super Saloon / Hawksworth Full Brake

The coaching stock to be used will all be in early 1950s Blood & Custard as a top link set would demand (except for the SIPHON G of course!) and will be numbered as follows:

Dia. K41 Collett Full Brake No. 111

Dia. O33 Siphon G No. 2796

Dia. H46 Collett Super Saloon No. 9118 (formerly Princess Elizabeth)

Dia. G60 Collett Super Saloon No. 9112 (formerly Queen Mary)

Dia. G61 Collett Super Saloon No. 9113 (fomerly Prince of Wales)

Dia. K45 Hawksworth Full Brake No. 316

...and what about the locomotive I hear you cry? Well, I have to do it sooner or later so when all the above brass, whitemetal, solder, and Lima / Hornby plastic has settled into vague resemblances of the prototypes I will be doing No. 4079 Pendennis Castle. I have a Hornby Castle of nearly the correct type in stock and some parts from South Eastern Finecast to help me back date her. So, without further ado, here we go with book one of this seven book epic...

Have a brake - have a K41 kit (kat).

Collett full brake No. 111 is an example of that most maligned piece of coaching stock - the passenger full brake. It was built in 1934 to diagram K41 in lot 1512 and spent a long if not glamorous life carting goods and luggage on the Great Western and Western Region. It was in service until purchased by the GWS in 1972 so if looked at in purely investment terms alone, she represented excellent value for money as a business asset!

post-14393-0-74386500-1359478791_thumb.jpg

She awaits her turn in the long list of vehicles to be restored but she has a great deal going for her. Although not particularly rare, she has an almost complete original interior, with the corridors still intact and she is similarly appointed on the outside too. When her time comes, this will make the C&W volunteers job a lot easier...

There is no 'official' kit for the K41 but Comet do a kit for the very closely related K42. The main differences between the two diagrams being the fact that they are slightly different widths (by so little in 4mm scale, this was dealt with by bravely ignoring it!) and that the K41 has the longer, 'Collett style' roof gutters and the K42 has the 'Hawksworth style'. Two strips of brass purchased from a certain Eileen's fine emporium later and a complete kit for a K41 was born. This kit was a very kind Christmas gift from my Mum and Dad on the basis of, you buy what you want and we will refund you because we will get it wrong if we buy it... Awww, bless! So we start out by getting the floor and sides out and having a darn good nosey around to get the lay of the land. I figured that I would start with the frames.

post-14393-0-71349000-1359478911_thumb.jpg

I drilled the bogie pivot holes, cut the ends to length and then bent the sides up...

post-14393-0-05883800-1359479013_thumb.jpg

and then the truss rods down. Then with a liberal application of heat, away we went ! I then added the sole bars. I like to leave these over length and then trim off with a slitting disc afterwards. There is far less likelihood of making them too short that way!

post-14393-0-72990700-1359479347_thumb.jpg

Finishing up with the frames for this session, I ended up with this to look at.

post-14393-0-55314700-1359479478_thumb.jpg

I then took a look at the sides, preparing them for fixing to the body by soldering in the drop lights and drilling all the holes for the hinges and door bangs with the help of the excellent jigs in the super detail coach etch.

post-14393-0-71192000-1359479586_thumb.jpg

As this is a flat ended coach, there are no complications there either. The etch is straight forward enough...

post-14393-0-79905200-1359479647_thumb.jpg

...and the ends were perforated further so that the corridor suspension arms can be fitted. I also soldered up the mounts for the coach ends.

post-14393-0-73926600-1359479713_thumb.jpg

End of play for this session sees the coach ready for the erecting shop.

post-14393-0-40663200-1359479796_thumb.jpg

And thus ends today's bumper first birthday edition of Little Didcot! Thanks for you continued interest, support and friendship and hopefully we will have a few more vehicles ready for the road by this time next year. Was it really a year ago?

All the best,

Castle

• Like 13

Nice work

in you list you have

Dia. H46 Collett Super Saloon No. 9118 (formerly Princess Elizabeth

I have built the Comet for that

6795418900_48c76a5ab9_z.jpg

4mm GWR Super Saloon Dia H45 6 Princess Elizabeth built from the Comet Modles Kit b by Mozzer models, on Flickr

6795418358_1e4ae5dcf1_z.jpg

4mm GWR Super Saloon Dia H45 6 Princess Elizabeth built from the Comet Modles Kit a by Mozzer models, on Flickr

the build of it sould be on my work bench back in Feb 2012

• Like 8

Hi Castle,

That's an impressive list of completed, and good looking, models in only one year! (and you accuse me of modelling at a fast pace!)

I'm sure this coming year will be as productive and inspiring!

Regards,

Stefan

• Like 1

Hi Mozzer,

Thanks for the compliment! from someone with the kind of output you have that means a lot. Those pictures of your Princess Elizabeth look the business - top job! How do you represent the various types of opaque glass if you don't mind me asking? Particularly the hammered finish stuff? Cheers!

Hi Stefan,

Yes, that is quite a lot isn't it? Although the big difference here is that you are turning out beautiful Edwardian GWR Locos on the fly without a kit and I have bashed together a few vans and done a bit of RTR light detailing... In terms of actual hours work done and difficulty I think we are about even!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 1

Hi Mozzer,

Thanks for the compliment! from someone with the kind of output you have that means a lot. Those pictures of your Princess Elizabeth look the business - top job! How do you represent the various types of opaque glass if you don't mind me asking? Particularly the hammered finish stuff? Cheers!

All the best,

Castle

The white window is done by painting the inside of the windo once it is fitted

The frosted i do by rubbing one side of the glazing with a glassfiber pen be-for fitting the rub side is fitted to the inside

• Like 1

Thanks Mozzer!

Stefan,

You may lack the metalwork skills but at least you don't have burnt fingertips! You do know that you are going to have to have a go sometime with the etched brass and nickel don't you?! Imagine all the exotic turn of the century GWR machinery you could build....

All the best,

Castle

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That K42 is coming along nicely however I think the steps are fitted one end only so you will need to check drawing and solder/fill  the gaps on the other one.Of course I might be talking tosh as usual.Wheres Mallard 60022 ?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello, I'm here now! I have just regained conciousness having fainted when looking at that staggering 'achieved' list for this year - bl**dy amazing mate.

That K41(2)  is looking very good; have you pre drilled the sole-bars for fitting the foot-boards or are you using a method other than the Comet suggestion?

Can't help with the end steps bit Rob as I've forgotten what I did with mine and I can't remember where I've put it for now (Christmas tidy up - pah).

Quack.

• Like 2

Hi Rob and Mallard,

The end steps are only on one end and I have taken that into account - thanks for checking though! I have made silly errors like this in the past...

I have always made sure I get the sole bar and step really hot, really quick with a mini blow torch and feed in a goodly amount of solder. I haven't lost one yet...

Hi Kev,

I didn't do all of the bottom list in the same year as the top list - I would say that about half had been done before I started on RMWEB over about 6 - 8 months so I'm not quite that quick. I do a little (perhaps an hour or two at most) every day with the odd weekend day splurge when I can! It is a chill out thing with me so I can unwind. Thanks for the compliments anyway!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That's an impressive list Castle! I'd love to see your P15 build. I'm currently building the Cambrian kit and finding a few "issues" with it and all I've done so far is fit the body to the floor and solebars lol

• Like 1

Hi Kev,

I didn't do all of the bottom list in the same year as the top list - I would say that about half had been done before I started on RMWEB over about 6 - 8 months so I'm not quite that quick. I do a little (perhaps an hour or two at most) every day with the odd weekend day splurge when I can! It is a chill out thing with me so I can unwind. Thanks for the compliments anyway!

All the best,

Castle

That's still pretty good going IMHO.

I completely agree about modelling being great for relaxing. I have next week off work and I'm wondering if I can build my second 58XX in a week.

• Like 1

That's still pretty good going IMHO.

I completely agree about modelling being great for relaxing. I have next week off work and I'm wondering if I can build my second 58XX in a week.

As long as it is fully posted on your thread so we can all enjoy! I had Saturday on a model and it wasn't relaxing at all - a nothing goes right at all type day...

Never mind - we shall overcome in the end!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

That's an impressive list Castle! I'd love to see your P15 build. I'm currently building the Cambrian kit and finding a few "issues" with it and all I've done so far is fit the body to the floor and solebars lol

Hi Ric,

Thanks for the compliment! I will try and get some pictures of the two P15s up in the next few days for you. Is there anything in particular that I can help you with? Post a picture here if needed and I and the other good folk will try and sort you out!

Hi Brian,

I have just had areas through your thread on the K42 and it looks great - it is a brilliant kit as are all of those from Geoff. He has a great design philosophy that has been used to produce such a wide range of coaches. As you can see above, he will be getting more of my business!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 1

As long as it is fully posted on your thread so we can all enjoy! I had Saturday on a model and it wasn't relaxing at all - a nothing goes right at all type day...

Never mind - we shall overcome in the end!

All the best,

Castle

I think we all have days when our models and modelling ability don't quite come together as we'd like. I does feel good to overcome something that has been particularly tricky.

I didn't think anyone would want to see me build another one. Might be amusing to see if I make the same mistakes!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Wow, Castle!  First, all those posts, today.  Then your superb list of this year's accomplishments.  Wow - again.

oldman.gif   You'll soon be CME....!

You couldn't sneak those models into one of those cabinets in the Museum for the Didcot RMwebbers Day, I suppose? 

Polly

• Like 1

Wow, Castle!  First, all those posts, today.  Then your superb list of this year's accomplishments.  Wow - again.

oldman.gif   You'll soon be CME....!

You couldn't sneak those models into one of those cabinets in the Museum for the Didcot RMwebbers Day, I suppose? 

Polly

Hi Polly,

I'll see if I can bring a few along if you like! They won't want them in the museum though - nowhere near old enough!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Watching the K42/1 build with added interest.

I have "copped out" and gone for Geoff's "sides only" option for mine, and I'll butcher a Hornby 57footer.

But I have taken the plunge inspired by RM Webbers, and ordered a full coach kit to do after that - one of the bullion vans.

Just need some time at Home............

Thanks once again.

• Like 2