The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Hints and tips for layout exhibiting

Debs.

I`ve been asked to help a friend show/run his brand-new 7mm. scale industrial-scene layout at a couple of large model-railway shows this year. :scared:

I`ve not had any experience of showing (well, not since I was a 'tiddler'; in the 60/70`s) and wondered what the experienced RMweb old-hand exhibitors might offer, by way of: 'I`d definitely do'....or....'I absolutely wouldn`t'. :scratchhead:

Debs,

My experience is from taking club layouts to shows, always have a plan B, C and D ready for when murphy's law strikes. I also find it helpful to have a check list of everything to plan to take (including emergency repair toolkit for layout and stock). You might find it useful to run a few operating sessions at homebase, making a note of any little quirks in stock performance and once you have the layout and stock tuned in for the show don't make any changes to them (in theory this means they should behave themselves in front of the punters).

Most importantly, remember it's not life and death, have fun and try not to get stressed.

Kev

Debs,

My experience is from taking club layouts to shows, always have a plan B, C and D ready for when murphy's law strikes. I also find it helpful to have a check list of everything to plan to take (including emergency repair toolkit for layout and stock). You might find it useful to run a few operating sessions at homebase, making a note of any little quirks in stock performance and once you have the layout and stock tuned in for the show don't make any changes to them (in theory this means they should behave themselves in front of the punters).

Most importantly, remember it's not life and death, have fun and try not to get stressed.

Kev

Smashing advice (especially the home-base trial runs and making stock notes) thank you Kev. :good:

Guest jim s-w

Hi Debs

1 - do a checklist and check it before and after loading.

2 - take tools and spares (eg spare point motor)

3 - ask for help carrying stuff if you need it.

4 - take breaks and DONT allow yourself to get dehydrated. - Keep a bottle of water behind the layout.

5 - if the exhibition doesnt allow water behind the layout (some dont) then increase your operating team by 25% If you are on your own insist that the show organisers supply cover.

6 - if you are not on your own look round the show (I never do this one myself)

7 - talk to the public - read the people in front of the layout as many want to ask somethign but wont unless you initiate the conversation

8 - read the other exhibitors - if you have sound and it starts to get on their nerves turn it off for a bit (or down)

8- At the end of any show people fall over each other to get away. Let them. You have been exhibiting for 2 days, another 1/2 hour isnt going to hurt and besides you will be tired. Panic to get away is when things (and sometimes people) get damaged.

9 - Most important of all - enjoy yourself.

10 - the trip home is usually late and you are usually knackered - DONT drive tired!

HTH

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Do: Have a couple of bags of your favourite sweets handy. Lots of talking equals dry throat. We usually take a few cartons of orange juice as some shows ration drinks tickets. Learn how to pass everything that goes wrong (and it will) off as a bit of a joke especially when it is "operator error". Be prepared to be very tired at the end of the day, especially if operating involves standing up and take your comfiest shoes. One of our lot takes his slippers to shows and wears them more often than not. Most of all, enjoy it. I exhibit at perhaps 6 to 8 shows a year with different layouts and have done for 30 years. I still get a great buzz from it, especially when somebody stays a while and really takes an interest.

Depending on how the layout is worked, we enjoy involving the public, especially youngsters, by asking them to choose which wagon we pick up next and where we put it, or what order the wagons should go in.

Don't: Take it too seriously. We always say that we may take our modelling seriously but never ourselves! Don't expect everything to be perfect and stress out when it isn't. Little things go wrong at most shows. The hall isn't ready on time, the power supply isn't available when you want it or the tea urn breaks (actually that can be serious!). If these things happen, having a go at the exhibition manager achieves nothing, so we just chill out, find a comfy seat and sit and natter until the problem is sorted out. If it is a problem with the layout, we have a laugh and a joke with the public and always have a full tool kit near at hand!

First time out with a layout, especially one you haven't been involved in building, is bound to be a bit stressful. I still get great nerves about exhibiting a new layout in case everybody just walks by or it doesn't work. It took me a long time to learn how to relax and enjoy exhibiting but it is now a big part of my enjoyment of the hobby and I would certainly miss it if I didn't do it any more.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Tony

• Clean you track thoroughly and test the layout before a few days before the Show.

• Take additional stock to cover for failures

• Secure everything well in the van or car.

• Allow plenty of time for travel

• Take a trolley to wheel boxes etc. into the Show it may be a long way from the unloading point/car park to the exhibition hall and your layout

• Take dust covers for the layout if it is a more than a single day Show

• Remove stock with issues and do not spend lots of time trying to repair it at the Show

• Run the layout both prototypically (if applicable) and also introduce some unusual working that could have occurred and have the rational for such workings when you get asked about them from a member of the public

• Put something on the layout to keep the youngsters amused I place a few cats dotted around the layout and get them to look for them- always goes down well

XF

Somewhere to park ones "derrierre" behind the layout is important, otherwise you will find yourself on your feet for 8 hours plus.

The retention of the sense of humour is paramount despite whatever goes on around you especially when it comes to tracing a short!

As Jim says drinks are important as well, dehydraton is a real problem mind you come behind New Hey at Glasgow in 3 weeks time and you will probably find the rehydration fluid is at least 10 years plus old.

Tool box is packed for every eventuality as you will find any fault is the one you are not equipped to deal with.

Clean your stock wheels well before the show

And no matter how wacky/ smelly/ spaced out/ anal etc etc the person asking the question / making the comment is, treat em seriously!

Debs,

Bit of a dumb one this, but have a trial run a week in advance that the layout, stock etc fits in the transport.

Take a trolley, there's often quite a distance between car park and hall.

Bill

Not dumb at all, Bill.....an excellent suggestion!

Bar stools are REALLY handy because 8 hours is a hellish long time to be on your feet solidly.

The Argos "book of dreams" will have to be consulted for a stool!....Thanks Boris.

• Clean you track thoroughly and test the layout before a few days before the Show.

• Take additional stock to cover for failures

• Secure everything well in the van or car.

• Allow plenty of time for travel

• Take a trolley to wheel boxes etc. into the Show it may be a long way from the unloading point/car park to the exhibition hall and your layout

• Take dust covers for the layout if it is a more than a single day Show

• Remove stock with issues and do not spend lots of time trying to repair it at the Show

• Run the layout both prototypically (if applicable) and also introduce some unusual working that could have occurred and have the rational for such workings when you get asked about them from a member of the public

• Put something on the layout to keep the youngsters amused I place a few cats dotted around the layout and get them to look for them- always goes down well

XF

Thanks Nige......super-useful suggestions!

Do: Have a couple of bags of your favourite sweets handy. Lots of talking equals dry throat. We usually take a few cartons of orange juice as some shows ration drinks tickets. Learn how to pass everything that goes wrong (and it will) off as a bit of a joke especially when it is "operator error". Be prepared to be very tired at the end of the day, especially if operating involves standing up and take your comfiest shoes. One of our lot takes his slippers to shows and wears them more often than not. Most of all, enjoy it. I exhibit at perhaps 6 to 8 shows a year with different layouts and have done for 30 years. I still get a great buzz from it, especially when somebody stays a while and really takes an interest.

Depending on how the layout is worked, we enjoy involving the public, especially youngsters, by asking them to choose which wagon we pick up next and where we put it, or what order the wagons should go in.

Don't: Take it too seriously. We always say that we may take our modelling seriously but never ourselves! Don't expect everything to be perfect and stress out when it isn't. Little things go wrong at most shows. The hall isn't ready on time, the power supply isn't available when you want it or the tea urn breaks (actually that can be serious!). If these things happen, having a go at the exhibition manager achieves nothing, so we just chill out, find a comfy seat and sit and natter until the problem is sorted out. If it is a problem with the layout, we have a laugh and a joke with the public and always have a full tool kit near at hand!

First time out with a layout, especially one you haven't been involved in building, is bound to be a bit stressful. I still get great nerves about exhibiting a new layout in case everybody just walks by or it doesn't work. It took me a long time to learn how to relax and enjoy exhibiting but it is now a big part of my enjoyment of the hobby and I would certainly miss it if I didn't do it any more.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Tony

Sage advice, thanks Tony......will try and not get stressed; I do want to do the layout 'justice'.....I will certainly report back.

• RMweb Premium

Spares of everything possible.

You may not need (or have) a spare powerpack/controller but everything from rail joiners to a spare loco.

Check that all your stock has the same couplings.

A set of tools -- you may be able to get away with a collection of 6-in-1 tools if it will cover all the possible situations and you won't need to use, say, two different screwdrivers at the same time.

For sectional layouts, spare joiners and a box of extra C-clamps.

Assume that none of the dealers will have thought to bring (or have unpacked) whatever you have dropped or temporarily mislaid.

• RMweb Gold

Number one - you are doing this because you want to so do your best to enjoy the show.

Number two - the organsers have put a lot of effort and money into organising the show, so bear this in mind when doing number one above.

When operating we all have different thresholds as for how long we can do so. Some layout owners can operate by themselves all day whilst others cant. We tend to have a very loose rule of an hour on and an hour off which generally works but some of our operators are more than happy to operate for much longer. This you will only really find out after a few shows.

A table behind the layout for carrying out and cleaning or emergency repairs on the rolling stock is also a good thing.

Make sure you have enough extension power leads as the power point the organisers provide might not be right next to the layout.

Try not taking the kitchen sink as you have to load everything at home, unload into the location in the show then do the reverse at the end of the show, but do make sure you have the tools to carry out repairs to the layout and stock. Make sure you have

Make sure you have space in your vehicle for all the purchases you and fellow operators make - once, we had to get 4 Bachamnn 4CEP packs into the car along with the layout, stock, overnight bags, operators and it was very tight!!

Ian

Practice in advance your first few moves on the layout - your mind may have a minor blank moment when the first punter tips up in front of you

Apologies in advance if this has already been said.

Info sheet(s) for the layout can be useful.

If another exhibition manager is interested in booking your layout for a future show then being able to hand over a sheet with most of the things they'll need to know on is handy.

Such as dimensions, power requirements, number of operators, contact details for the layout owner/club and a brief description of the layout, a couple of smallish photos might help too.

If you find yourself going to a lot of shows I suppose a diary might be handy for some people to avoid conflicting bookings.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Label (maybe a tie on parcel label) every container clearly with the layout name. One wooden box looks just like another when you're packing up.

I once helped run a German layout and at home time couldn't help pack the stock up as the descriptions on the boxes ment nothing to me. Since then the layout's owner takes photos of what goes in each box and so all I need to do is match the picture stuck to the lid of the box with what's in the fiddle yard.

Otherwise, two bits of advice - keep the track, wheels and electrical pick-ups clean, and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

Make sure that when one of you goes off for a break that there is a clearly agreed time to return. It can get very lonely if there is a mix up and you are by yourself for a long time!.

Check you can clearly identify anything you take which belongs to you and if possible pack you own things yourself. I once came home with a loco which wasn't mine and it took a while to sort out who it belonged to.

If an item of stock causes any problems stop using it until it is sorted out.

When a piece of track "goes dead" try to find a way to operate without using it - we used to keep a few pw figures handy to place on problem track to remind us until we sorted it out.

Don't lean on the backscene when you are tired, it may not be very strong. I have done and for my sins had to rebuild it..

Enjoy yourself.

David

Archived