The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Hints and tips for layout exhibiting

Debs.

• RMweb Gold

If you a running a DCC layout, make a list of the loco addresses besides the list in your head! :D

XF

I've painted the back of the backscene with blackboard paint - I just chalk 'em up when setting up. I also use 2 digit addressing as it makes keying in quicker with the Powercab ;)

• RMweb Premium

My advice is more about attitudes to an exhibition, rather than the practicalities, and are based on my experience as a one-time assistant exhibition manager.

An exhibition is part showcase, and part entertainment, and not all the visitors are going to be enthusiasts, so be prepared for members of the public who fall into the non enthusiast category having unusual and/or simplistic questions. Visitors have paid to see trains running, so run trains - I remember once having an excellent layout at one show that I helped run which was a wonderful layout representing a GWR branch with BLT, but it was run to a branch line timetable, and there were only a few trains run during the entire show - the operator actually had a big clock on the front showing the time of the next train - he was next to a keep-em-coming roundy roundy, and guess which got most attention from the punters.

Again as an ex exhibitor, I'd also advise trying to strike a balance between liquid input and output - yes you may get dehydrated, but on the other hand, sup too much and trips to the loo might be a bit frequent. Much as I like coffee, I also avoid it if I need to go longer periods without liquid output. The same is true of alcohol - great in after-show socials, but I once came across an operator who had a liquid lunch, and the operations after lunch (when he wasn't at the loo) were quite unusual.

Most of all, you're there to enjoy yourself as well as to entertain others - achieve both of these and the job's a good'un - repeat bookings will follow.

Slippers, a small rug, your own mug and maybe some nibbles are all good. Also Gaffa tape and WD40, because if it moves and it isn't supposed to, Gaffa fixes it; if it doesn't move and it's supposed to WD40 fixes it.

I found that as long as something is moving, people tend to stick and watch for longer; especially children. As long as you don't repeat what you're doing and the movements can be said to have some logic, then you'll also keep any pedants at bay. Tail chasers do have the luxury of just letting people watch trains go by which can be helpful for operators towards the end of the day when they're too tired to try too much fancy shunting.

Tool kit wise I found a set of jewellers screwdrivers, drawing pins, soldering iron and solder, pliers and a track rubber essential. Also take a selection of glues to match those used to build the layout because something will come loose. I take Bostik, PVA and a can of hairspray. I also have white cotton gloves so that I can handle stock without damaging them - my sweat is slightly acidic and if I handled stuff with bare hands, over the course of a weekend I'd wear through weathering and fine lining details.

I'm lucky in that 'Grove street' can be carried by a single operator on two trips to the car and back. If you have heavy stuff, a sack trolley will be a help. Also, don't get tempted to take too much stock - you just make work for yourself putting it out and putting it away, and there's more risk of something getting damaged or lost. I take enough rolling stock to cover all shunting moves and enough locos to work the layout plus one spare. On a tailchaser all my exhibition stock would form one short triple-headed train. If you take too much you'll just find loads of stuff never gets used.

Thank you so very much to all contributors for your thoughtful and experienced advice; it`s been somewhat sobering to realise how much I didn`t know of the practicalities and preparations that really should be made early for exhibiting (starting now!).

I`ll be distilling nearly all of the points raised in this excellent thread, into a printed-off crib sheet which I`ll share with my friend (the layout`s builder) and for the shows; it`s also hoped we`ll be able to bring along a third helping-hand to ease the workload (possibly an interested young railway modeller).

The layout is based around heavy-industry (a steel mill).........so, you`ll possibly hear (and feel) our layout`s activity before you see us! :bomb_mini:

Thanks again, everybody. :good:

One other consideration. Instead of using a tatty bit of carpet to stand on, you can get 6.5mm thick roll up fitness mats for around £3 at places like Decathlon. These work better than carpet, easier to clean, and in my case I can stand on them for hours if needed.

One other consideration. Instead of using a tatty bit of carpet to stand on, you can get 6.5mm thick roll up fitness mats for around £3 at places like Decathlon. These work better than carpet, easier to clean, and in my case I can stand on them for hours if needed.

Still not quite like shagpile with underlay though! And if you have the old style of felt underlay you have a source of scenery repair materials! (Joking).

Which shows are you going to, Debs? Many of them have their own little quirks which you may not pick up from the relevant threads on the forum. (Hartlepool and York are usually really hot, for example and there's anothef one which escapes me where you need to take your own mugs).

We can all come and say hello as well!

• RMweb Premium

Check you can clearly identify anything you take which belongs to you and if possible pack you own things yourself. I once came home with a loco which wasn't mine and it took a while to sort out who it belonged to.

My club has allocated a colour (or pair of colours if there are lots of you) to each member who provides stock for shows. Each item of rolling stock gets a dot or two of that colour somewhere on the chassis (usually between the wheels). As long as you know who has which colour then everything ends up with the right person at the end of the exhibition.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Which shows are you going to, Debs? Many of them have their own little quirks which you may not pick up from the relevant threads on the forum. (Hartlepool and York are usually really hot, for example and there's anothef one which escapes me where you need to take your own mugs).

We can all come and say hello as well!

The Gauge 0 guild: North Wales/Cheshire Group at Wrexham (in July) and Guildex at Telford (in Sept.)....`getting nervous already! :scared:

A lot of us will see you at Telford, then. It's not a bad venue: you can drive your vehicle into the hall but I left mine outsibe and trolleyed in Beaulieu. Telford, of course, is wierd. The Wetherspoon's is sort of ok but we left when the locals started to pour in and strangly coloured drinks were consumed.

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Got to agree with the carpet, the single most important accessory I carry. I tend to operate in my socks these days, it's so much more relaxing than having shoes on for all that time.

Andi

• RMweb Premium

I forgot:

Check all your supplies. If you are demonstrating anything or may need to fix scenery or whatever, make sure all your glues and paints are still liquid, there's a bit of oil in the bottle, etc. Start the day with a fresh blade in your Xacto knife or scalpel.

Have we said clean track and wheels at the same time, before stock goes on layout?

• RMweb Premium

Just an extra idea - take several track cleaners with you - you never know when one will disappear just when you have a nasty little dead spot on that iffy turnout - I have seen several instacnces where the track cleaners "grow legs" never to be seen again.

• RMweb Premium

Lots of good advice there, that I firmly agree with.

Two tools that I would add, and that remain accessible at the top of the box, are a tape-measure and spirit-level. The tape measure so you can check exactly how much floor space you've been allocated BEFORE you start erecting the layout (on more than one occasion I've been given too little) And the spirit level for checking your baseboards as you set up. A small hand-held vacuum cleaner is very useful for a final clean-up before you start.

A plug-in RCD trip device for your mains wiring is always advisable, and many shows now insist on them. Some shows (Warley for instance) will test it before allowing you to plug it in.

Regarding coffee mugs; check the regulations in the exhibitors handouts. Some shows don't allow you to use a china mug, quite a few forbid food/drink of any kind in the hall. This is usually the stipulation of the Hall management rather than the Exhibition organisers. There seems to be no consistency though, you will find widely varying or completely opposite instructions from one hall to the next.

In any event, I take a metal thermos-cup with a lid (from a camping/outdoor shop) Its safer to carry in a crowded hall, and keeps your tea hot while you are operating for long periods.

Last but not least I take a Visitors Book. Very useful for recording contact details of people you meet, potential operators, Exhibition organisers you give YOUR details to, and who to send to when you've run out of handouts, etc, etc, or just for comments on the layout. Over time it becomes a record of the shows you've been to and its interesting to total up the mileage your layout has travelled over the years.

Above all, enjoy yourself!

Good Luck,

Dave.T

Archived