Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

May aswell buy a sound fitted one. They quoted me £150 for a Bachmann 47 with the sound removed not long ago. I didn't buy it !

lol, I was waiting for that. Olivias do seem a tad pricey. I have just sold some of them for £90 and they went like hotcakes.

• 2 months later...

How does one remove the bogie frame on this loco. In Andy Y's pictures posted 27 Feb 2014, it says they are just unclipped but I can't fathom out how they are unclipped.

Like most Bachmann diesels the bogie frames are a clip-fit, on the Class 40 they're a tighter fit than normal. It may prove easier to take off the body and remove the top mounting screws that hold each bogie in the chassis, the complete bogie will then drop out. Using a small flat bladed screwdriver between the frame and one end of the the main bogie moulding, carefully lever the frame off.

• RMweb Gold

The frames are VERY tight on the bogie. The clip on one of mine (sound fitted D211) was already broken when I went to give it a clean out - can only have occurred when Bachmann did the same clean up before the models were released. The good news is that the frame will still sit firmly in place even with the  clip broken. Other thing to note doing this is that you will have to disconnect the drive shafts (easy) and then re connect them (more awkward) when you've finished.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Regarding re-fitting the drive- shafts. When doing that on any Bachmann diesel, not just the 40's, I always make sure that the end of the shaft that is to fit into the ''cup'' (either the one at the end of the motor, or the one at the end of the gear tower) is orientated so that it is at ''six o'clock'', along with the ''cup''. By going about it this way, I find that I can refit them in about two to three seconds without any tears! I, should also add that I make good use of a magnifying-lamp, which further helps.

Just about all my Bachmann bogie frames are an incredibly tight fit, and I've had several breakages.

All the best,

Market65.

Edited by Market65

Thanks for the replies folks. I have removed the bogies from the body but still cannot remove the bogie frame- it's just too tight, so I've restricted myself to cleaning the axles with a bit of isopropyl alcohol. No problem in refitting the bogies and the loco appears to run OK. I have had recent problems with the loco "stuttering" but it may just be the track. If it persists I shall return it to Bachmann and let them sort it out.

• RMweb Gold

Any loco that picks up on the outer axles only of a 3 axle bogie is likely to have problems - fundamental design flaw!

Have given in here and gone for the additional pick-ups on backs of wheels approach - all 3 axles per bogie

Also hard wired bogies to chassis.

If that doesn't fix it then I give up!

Phil

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Any loco that picks up on the outer axles only of a 3 axle bogie is likely to have problems - fundamental design flaw!

Have given in here and gone for the additional pick-ups on backs of wheels approach - all 3 axles per bogie

Also hard wired bogies to chassis.

If that doesn't fix it then I give up!

Phil

And that has fixed it - D200 is now a fully functional fleet member after trials on abbotswood at the weekend

Pierre Le Brun turned up with another he has purchased - will have to give it the same treatemnt!

Many thanks to those up thread who posted this advice - its a quick and easy fix

Phil

• Like 4

Bachmann are shuffling the liveries of the various headcode types of the 40s. Examples of a couple of them were on show at the Bachmann stand at the York show this weekend. The split headcode, with small yellow panel looks very nice. They are showing on the Bachmann website and for pre-order at Hattons, and other retailers no doubt.
32-483_3140736_Qty1_CAT.JPG

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann are shuffling the liveries of the various headcode types of the 40s. Examples of a couple of them were on show at the Bachmann stand at the York show this weekend. The split headcode, with small yellow panel looks very nice. They are showing on the Bachmann website and for pre-order at Hattons, and other retailers no doubt.

32-483_3140736_Qty1_CAT.JPG

There was a noticeable lip where the nose joined the body on the sample in the Bachmann display cabinet - hopefully not repeated on the production versions.

There was a noticeable lip where the nose joined the body on the sample in the Bachmann display cabinet - hopefully not repeated on the production versions.

They are separately fitted noses...the joins are always visible, especially on the same body/nose colour. 

Hi,

Got a question,

Just working on my 40141, replaced all of the sliding connection for soldered wires, runs great now.

I have also removed the switches in the tanks as I have fitted a speaker and a "Biffosound" V4 chip.

Now then can any one answer a question about the new circuit board?

My eyes have nearly gone loopy looking at the tracks on it!

Can I modify it to use the 2 spare outputs to be the front and rear tail lights?

I have a poor picture of the card attached,

Ian

post-7092-0-73281500-1428869375_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Got a question,

Just working on my 40141, replaced all of the sliding connection for soldered wires, runs great now.

I have also removed the switches in the tanks as I have fitted a speaker and a "Biffosound" V4 chip.

Can I modify it to use the 2 spare outputs to be the front and rear tail lights?

I have a poor picture of the card attached,Ian

Have you tried the DCC question section in the forum?

Paul

Hi,

Got a question,

I have a poor picture of the card attached,

Ian

Maybe's a slightly drastic option, but I replace the board completely. I had to do it with this example as the board was actually faulty. You can see pictures on my workbench thread here...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64736-my-detailingrepainting-projects/page-62

• Like 1

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the link, question for you, did you add any 1k resistors onto the output of the auxiliaries of the 51968?

Ian

Hi Ian. I know for definite that the lighting boards in the nose ends have built in resistors so didn't add anything else inline with the power feeds to them. However, the cab lights only seem to have a capacitor on their tiny pcb and no resistor,so rather than take the risk I wired a resistor into their feeds just in case.