Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

Did D211 appear in green with full yellow ends or did it go from small panels to blue? I am a little apprehensive about painting this loco as it is expensive and if I ever had to sell it I would lose more money I suppose!

Also the white line along the  top of the sides  looks too wide so making the sides look not much deeper than the old model. I think the lines should reach down half way to the engine area windows (prob already mentioned). All a bit pedantic as it is a nice loco ( I haven't actually bought one yet, by the way!).

Who remembers those  commuter trains that ran out of King's Cross every evening in the late 70s? They were so long that you couldn't hear the sound of the loco until you had walked up the platform hoping to hear a whistling sound! . The 17:12 to Peterborough was supposed to be a booked class 40 although I had  a 46 and 31s on this train. More reliable was the earlier 16:30 to Grantham. This seemed to have a 40 a lot more often. These trains were great because they stopped at a lot of stations giving a lot of good sounds as they pulled out of each one! The 2 minutes past midnight sleeper was supposed to be a 40 but not when I rode on it.

dave

Edited by drgj

Did D211 appear in green with full yellow ends or did it go from small panels to blue? I am a little apprehensive about painting this loco as it is expensive and if I ever had to sell it I would lose more money I suppose!

Also the white line along the  top of the sides  looks too wide so making the sides look not much deeper than the old model. I think the lines should reach down half way to the engine area windows (prob already mentioned). All a bit pedantic as it is a nice loco ( I haven't actually bought one yet, by the way!).

Who remembers those  commuter trains that ran out of King's Cross every evening in the late 70s? They were so long that you couldn't hear the sound of the loco until you had walked up the platform hoping to hear a whistling sound! . The 17:12 to Peterborough was supposed to be a booked class 40 although I had  a 46 and 31s on this train. More reliable was the earlier 16:30 to Grantham. This seemed to have a 40 a lot more often. These trains were great because they stopped at a lot of stations giving a lot of good sounds as they pulled out of each one! The 2 minutes past midnight sleeper was supposed to be a 40 but not when I rode on it.

dave

Having looked at photos of the various Bachmann 40's, I think you are absolutely right about the white cantrail line being too deep on the later releases. Its ironic that Bachmann appear to have got this feature right on the first releases, which were criticised ansd subsequently corrected for having the wrong roof/ body profile!

I quite happily run D368 from the first batch with the roof/body error - it looks a lot better however for having the body lowered on the chassis, and I've felt no need to "upgrade". There was quite a lot about this subject earlier in this thread and on an accompanying one.

Unfortunately I can't help with the livery history of D211, although I'm sure there will be people on here who can. I do remember 31's on the Peterborough services, fair roaring along around the Offords and Abbotts Ripton - now its just emu's!

John.  

Edited by John Tomlinson

I had an earlier Bachmann class 40  (D325) but sold it a while back.  I wish I had hung on to it. When they first came out I quite liked the Jouef class 40 but only from the side! It looked quite low slung and heavy in the side view but the front view  required some added  imagination! The imagination is always good for saving time and money. I noticed a fantastic model on here of Liverpool Lime Street station. It is incredibly well made.  I do, however, remember that when I was young  and with a good imagination, my trains would run into Euston, Holyhead or Kings Cross without requiring any modelling skills!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

A bit off track but can anyone scan the sound functions sheet and send to me or post here I have lost mine.

Ian

FO - Lights

F1 - Sound On/Off + Fade in/out on the move

F2 - Horn 1

F3 - Horn 2

F4 - Brakes

F5 - Fuel pump

F6 - Coupling

F7 - Cab lights

F8 - Aux 2 (blank)

F9 - Flange Squeal

F10 - Guards Whistle

F11 - Notch Up

F12-  Notch Down

F13 - Air Dryer

F14 - Fan

Random - Fan & Compressor 

F1 On - Warm Start

F1 On-off - Failed Start

F1 On-off-on Cold Start

HTH

Ken

• Like 1

Glad I found this post! I was having terrible issues with the sound version, with it just cutting out on points and at any speed, totally at random. I pulled her apart and fitted custom pickups and she is now performing wonderfully.

Hopefully, the design flaw of the existing pickups has been noted at Barwell and not to be repeated. Its a clever idea, but if it aint broke.... 

• Like 1

Glad I found this post! I was having terrible issues with the sound version, with it just cutting out on points and at any speed, totally at random. I pulled her apart and fitted custom pickups and she is now performing wonderfully.

Hopefully, the design flaw of the existing pickups has been noted at Barwell and not to be repeated. Its a clever idea, but if it aint broke.... 

Indeed, adding new/extra pick-ups makes a big difference to the running quality of all the latest 40's, it's well worth doing.

i apologise if this has been answered already on here, but how interchangable are the chassis' and bodies of the new Bachmann 40, old Bachmann 40 and lima 40? 

it sounds as though the old Bachmann 40 had the best pick-ups/chassis/motor combination, but the new Bachmann 40 obviously looks better.

if i were to pick up an old Bachmann 40, second hand. could i put a lima body straight onto it, or a new Bachmann one? 

i apologise if this has been answered already on here, but how interchangable are the chassis' and bodies of the new Bachmann 40, old Bachmann 40 and lima 40? 

it sounds as though the old Bachmann 40 had the best pick-ups/chassis/motor combination, but the new Bachmann 40 obviously looks better.

if i were to pick up an old Bachmann 40, second hand. could i put a lima body straight onto it, or a new Bachmann one?

I would beg to differ, the new version is much better than the old one. The original release blue split headcode version had the pickup issue, but it's since been sorted with subsequent releases.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've got several Lima body/Bachmann 8-pin DCC chassis hybrids. It's more or less a straight fit, which just some minor fettling of the chassis at each nose end, The Lima bodies do need a fair amount of work, but better starting point than the mark 1 Bachmann body shell. I've got three of the new Bachy 40s, but not tried to swap chassis between Lima or mark 1 Bachmann. I've asked Bachmann if there are likely to be spare mark 2 chassis available to which they responded yes at some point in the future.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Lee, once the non-conductive grease was removed from my two Bachmann mark 2 splitters, there were smooth running models and no problems. I still rate the mark I chassis as well though.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick note thanks to Paul (Grunfols) I've acquired a mark 2 Bachmann 40 chassis which I've just done a trial fit to a Lima bodyshell. It's an absolute perfect fit, better than the mark 1 chassis in fact. Only if Bachmann could provide these as spares I'd get my Lima fleet sorted in no time.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just got hold of a Bachmann class 40 (D211) but with the sound removed so it was a lot cheaper. I think it is a good model and it would take a lot of work to get a Lima body to look as good. It also runs well (once I had run it in properly). It wasn't perfectly smooth at slow speeds before the run in. I also ran in my 10001. When I took it out the box it was a bit juddery and the lights flashed, etc. I thought I would have to do all that cleaning of contacts but I persevered with the running in and it settled down very nicely.

40 011 was my favourite class 40. I live on the south coast but I travelled up to Manchester a few times in the late 70s. I must have been only 14 or 15 when I was standing at the end of the platform at Guide Bridge looking at the stabling point. A driver came along and when I told him how far i'd come he took me into the yard with him as he had to move some locomotives about. I went in the cab of 40 011 when he moved it and then a class 76  which was very interesting. I don't think it would be allowed these days.

Dave

Edited by drgj
  • Like 1

On a slightly different matter, for the 2012 retooled class 40 are the nose lighting board in the nose is generic, or are there specific lighting boards for:-

split headcode

centre headcode

disc head code

?

Thanks, Richard

A generic nose circuit board may be used ? , but the smd LED's will be fitted in different places to suit the nose marker light positions, as per Bachmann 37's.

HTH

Ken

• RMweb Premium

I have just got hold of a Bachmann class 40 (D211) but with the sound removed so it was a lot cheaper. I think it is a good model and it would take a lot of work to get a Lima body to look as good. It also runs well (once I had run it in properly). It wasn't perfectly smooth at slow speeds before the run in. I also ran in my 10001. When I took it out the box it was a bit juddery and the lights flashed, etc. I thought I would have to do all that cleaning of contacts but I persevered with the running in and it settled down very nicely.

Dave

Is there a shop selling D211 with sounds removed?

Might be worth asking Olivia's as well ?

May aswell buy a sound fitted one. They quoted me £150 for a Bachmann 47 with the sound removed not long ago. I didn't buy it !