Bachmann & Farish news from Warley

Andy Y

Graham Farish by Bachmann

On display in the cabinets and Warley are the Dellner coupling variation of the Class57 and the first EP sample of the air-smoothed Merchant Navy.

57-threequarters1s.jpg

57-threequarters2s.jpg

The MN shown here is the later of the three models which will be produced.

MN-threequarters1s.jpg

MN-threequarters2s.jpg

MN-threequarters3s.jpg

MN-rearthreequarters1s.jpg

MN-rearthreequarters2s.jpg

Also on show are a brace of the Class 31s.

31pairs.jpg

Bachmann Branchline

Several products are on the way to us shortly but not quite in time for the show and the following images are of the first production items shipped over for inspection.

Dukedog

Earl1s.jpg

Earl2s.jpg

Earl3s.jpg

Earl4s.jpg

Class 40

40_1s.jpg

Yes, there's a clearance necessity for curve and incline accommodation accounting for the bogie/body gap but from normal angles as seen below it's reasonable.

40_2s.jpg

40_3s.jpg

40_4s.jpg

40_5s.jpg

The side grille etches are supplied in the fittings pack for customer fitting if required (along with end ladders and headcode discs) dependent on the the number and date that the customer is modelling. Check prototype images for your own use and decide if they need to be fitted, D211 'Mauritania' in as delivered condition would have them fitted and I'd suggest a thin bead of Klear or similar along the inside edges of the etch would be the best approach.

40_6s.jpg

Polybulk

The livery application and lettering on this is superb!

Grainflow1s.jpg

Grainflow2s.jpg

Grainflow3s.jpg

Grainflow4s.jpg

Grainflow5s.jpg

Covhops

Covhop1s.jpg

Covhop2s.jpg

Covhop3s.jpg

Midland Brake

MRbrakes.jpg

Thanks for posting those Andy.... just got back from Warley and was very impressed by so many items in the glass cases on the Bachmann stand, the N gauge 31 in 'as built' condition was particularly eye catching, even more so was the Midland Blue Pullman almost hidden from view sitting in the bottom of the case! 

The 40 on display looked very good, what little gap there is isn't really that apparent when you're looking at it form normal viewing angles. I noticed the grey on the roof looked much more realistic than the paler grey used before, and I think a touch more weathering around the exhaust ports and panel lines is all that's needed to finish it off in that area. 

The Dukedog looked very tempting despite me not 'needing' one...

Wonderful - thanks for posting Andy

Covhops on order this weekend - plus a D211 for renumbering to D200 GFYE

Phil

Apologies for veering off topic for a mo - did D200 receive full yellow ends in green Phil...? (I've not seen a pic of it like that but I've got one of it in the hard drive on the testing station at Crewe in 1970 in newly painted blue / full yellow ends...)

Apologies for veering off topic for a mo - did D200 receive full yellow ends in green Phil...? (I've not seen a pic of it like that but I've got one of it in the hard drive on the testing station at Crewe in 1970 in newly painted blue / full yellow ends...)

I've considered a similar exercise, but in celebrity mode of mid-80's. Is D211 wholly accurate for that transition?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nidge

Am pretty sure that she was ....

But searching for a photo hasn't unearthed one .....yet.

She turned up at Worcester one lunch tine on a southbound class 6 that had Ashchurch traffic in it and would have gone through Abbotswood...

As for is that model correct for D200 - as far as I know it was - but I stand to be corrected!

Cheers

Phil

The Grainflows look exquisite - will have to work out how to justify some though, maybe it's 'new layout' time.

Except they're not 'Grainflows' but 'Polybulks'- somewhat shorter wagons used to carry powdered minerals, such as china clay, lime, sand, urea and even coal. as such, they've visited much of the UK, from St Blazey to Mossend via King's Lynn and Aylesbury.

As for is that model correct for D200 - as far as I know it was - but I stand to be corrected!

Not quite. The pilot batch of 10 had an extra horizontal strip each side on the main roof and radiator roof, matching and lining up with the edging of the removable hatch behind No1 cab. As far as I can make out, this was purely for aesthetic reasons. The first 10 also had a minor difference on the buffer beams - the buffers and drawhook were 1/2" lower/higher (I've forgotten which, and I don't think it'll bother many people!).

The bogies underwent evolution as solutions were sought to the problem of frame fractures. The top profile in the region of the dragboxes changed, eventually with the side bearer pots being supported on wider stiffening flanges. A drawing issued in 1967 deleted small vertical oval holes, 2 each side, between the driving axles, which matched holes in the frame stretcher end plates. When bogie oil lubrication was replaced by grease lubrication, a boxed reservoir and pump, driven by a horizontal shaft from the middle axle on the driver's side, was removed. Stiffening channels were retro-fitted to the water tank sides.

So, the model as shown has detail below the body suitable only for a post-1967 loco, and body detail for a production build example.

But it certainly does not look a disaster of a product by any means!

The Nim.

Archived