EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold

So how much would the one that I have that is properly built and painted be worth?

In theory no more - subject to my final comment.  The 'collectable' element with these things as I understand things is the kit - being in original packing, complete with all parts, transfers, instructions and packing slips etc and the box/packet in good condition.  Those things work to together in various ways to set the perceived value to a collector, the price is set either by the seller (as in BIN) or by the interaction of the two highest bidders and the value they perceive.

I suspect that in the case of an assembled kit - particularly a badly assembled example such as this one - its perceived value to a genuine and knowledgeable collector is considerably less than that of  an original box in good condition.  The only exception to that might be an extremely rare model which is very difficult (and hence very expensive) to find in its unassembled state.

• RMweb Gold

Elsewhere we have a thread about illiteracy on ebay. Another pet peeve of mine is the seller who, presumably through ignorance, fails to "sell up" his product, thus maybe missing its full value in, say, the collectors' part of the market. This is a classic example :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-00-Gauge-Joe-Miller-Armaments-Van-Mint-Boxed-/140999919282?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item20d44006b2

Does he know where Buggleskelly is? Does he know why the vehicle is numbered 1937? Sad.

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold

Elsewhere we have a thread about illiteracy on ebay. Another pet peeve of mine is the seller who, presumably through ignorance, fails to "sell up" his product, thus maybe missing its full value in, say, the collectors' part of the market. This is a classic example :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-00-Gauge-Joe-Miller-Armaments-Van-Mint-Boxed-/140999919282?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item20d44006b2

Does he know where Buggleskelly is? Does he know why the vehicle is numbered 1937? Sad.

But I sure like this wagon. It did put a smile on my face! A  shame that I don't have a North Irish layout,( but I do feel tempted to put in a bid.....)

(No major blunders in this text, as far as I'm aware of   :scratchhead: )

Sierd Jan

• Like 2

The only difference between that kit, and a new 'pre-disassembled' Dapol kit is that the old kits were moulded in green, so very little painting required.

But I'll take the Dapol kit any time

The only difference between that kit, and a new 'pre-disassembled' Dapol kit is that the old kits were moulded in green, so very little painting required.

But I'll take the Dapol kit any time

Ah but would the buyer be able to build it as well as the seller? :senile:

Ian

There is a Hornby O Guage Water Tower, a Tinplate "Pullman Coach" and an old O Guage Tinplate coach with opening doors (Now that IS old....).

As is this from the same guy. Apparently both house and church are '00 guage' (sic) so the question is, is that a very big house or just a very small church? And what the hell's going on in the windows in pic 4 (OK that's two questions).

I suppose it is a bit obvious, the church is for the Model Village?  (OK, one is HO, and the other is probably N... ;)  )

All together now...."Oh Mr. Porter...."  ;)

Now that looks like a product for Ratio.....to go with the two grounded coach kits,  and the grounded wagon kit....;)

• Like 2

Quite mad. Pity we can't identify the winning bidder to tell him what a terrible mistake he's made..... Then again, it could be Gostude muscling his way into a new sector of the market - after all, you should see the mountain of overpriced loco kits that he's flogging....

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

Yes, I was watching this & was pretty much doing an impersonation of a landed carp at the finishing price...

As Horsetan says, the winner has made a grave error - over £46 with postage in the end, compared with the price of a new one from the maker...

Mark