Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

This is just one example from this seller of a kit which is still available, albeit now from a different producer. In this case, London Road Models took over this D&S product and sell new kits for £28:00.

But if you would rather spend £55 (over five times more than the sticker price on the box) this is where to go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LNWR-D-S-408-6-WHEEL-LNWR-MILK-VAN-4-MM-ETCHED-KIT-/321187475422?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4ac843efde

This is just one example from this seller of a kit which is still available, albeit now from a different producer. In this case, London Road Models took over this D&S product and sell new kits for £28:00.

But if you would rather spend £55 (over five times more than the sticker price on the box) this is where to go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LNWR-D-S-408-6-WHEEL-LNWR-MILK-VAN-4-MM-ETCHED-KIT-/321187475422?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4ac843efde

Not the brightest is he?

Not the brightest is he?

Don't confuse stupidity with ignorance. It may be that he didn't know that the former D&S kit is now available from LRM. 

On the other hand it could also be that someone else, equally ignorant of the facts, will be seduced by the "rare" claim and pay the asking price. In which case, he'll have been successful, so perhaps he is brighter than you think.

Pointless I would agree as a normal alternative to soldering, but it could be useful where the connection is embedded in heat sensitive material (plastic for example). The question is does it work?

I've noticed that shipping to the UK is quoted at $3.97 (£2.54), which is less than the UK internal rate. Is this right or another example of rip-off Britain?

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold

Pointless I would agree as a normal alternative to soldering, but it could be useful where the connection is embedded in heat sensitive material (plastic for example). The question is does it work?

I've noticed that shipping to the UK is quoted at $3.97 (£2.54), which is less than the UK internal rate. Is this right or another example of rip-off Britain?

Wouldn't UK internal price on this (without signature) be £2.60?   The figure of $3.97 seems surprisingly cheap for US international postage to me.  Suggests to me (though I've been known to be wrong on oh so many occasions!) that either he's got a contract rate for bulk or he's made a mistake?

• RMweb Gold

Went for £72.53 but at least it was free P/P......   :O

• Like 2

I think someone on RMWeb has already done a test with that kind of product. It worked, but it's not amazing, and frankly I don't see much use for it.

• RMweb Gold

Old style Hornby Class 47 with those embossed lines along the sides.  Motor taken out, started at £8.  Seems to be honestly described.  Went for £28.30 + p/p - Not even described as ***RARE*** or ***L@@K*** or 'Hard to find' or ***AWESOME***

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weathered-Hornby-Class-47-Dummy-Breakdown-locomotive-with-Added-lighting-/171103397971?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=2HCQfTM02oHFGvgJJR6tb38059s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

• RMweb Premium

Old style Hornby Class 47 with those embossed lines along the sides.  Motor taken out, started at £8.  Seems to be honestly described.  Went for £28.30 + p/p - Not even described as ***RARE*** or ***L@@K*** or 'Hard to find' or ***AWESOME***

Or painted yellow.............

Cheers,

Mick

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weathered-Hornby-Class-47-Dummy-Breakdown-locomotive-with-Added-lighting-/171103397971?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=2HCQfTM02oHFGvgJJR6tb38059s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Ahh. but it DOES Say "Weathered" ! (And has added transfers and lighting!) ;)

Well at least two people thought they were worth £11.99 + 3.00!

If I remember, the blue one is least common, and has the "worst" motor and drive combination. The green ones came first, and have all wheel drive from a central can motor. (1960s... Nothing new under the sun.)

It is a shame about the triangular buffers though. Jouef influence there I think...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if we've seen this before from one of our regulars?  Apols if we have but I don't recall seeing it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-MODEL-No-R782-ex-CR-0-4-0ST-No-67-SOUTHERN-LOCO-VN-MIB-CODE-3-/271210448964?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3f25670844

MIB and code 3 strike me as somewhat of a contradiction.

Mike.