RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

Must admit I'm with Re6/6 - never had problems with RM to Oz/NZ/USA/Canada - if people from these places ask I'm happy to send (with the caveat that I ask if they're happy with lcoal postal deliveries.  RM quote anticpated delivery times to the port of entry in these countries which I find accurate enough - the local delivery can then take ages)

Likewise. Also Japan, Serbia and the usual suspects within Europe.

As far as local delivery goes, the only one I've ever had problems with was a delivery to Holland. TNT Post apparently lost sight of it shortly after it arrived in the jurisdiction, and it took two weeks for the item to turn up at the buyer's doorstep. He blamed me for the delay and tried to get his money back, even though I proved it had long left the UK. I've banned him from bidding on any of my future lots.

So, if you're reading this, "sbmodellbau-de", I'm referring to you. And I hope everyone else will be aware of your game as well.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 4

I'm pretty sure at one point you could buy the actual model for this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-760-Class-57-3-Virgin-Trains-Lady-Penelope-Etched-Plates-ONLY-/301048478288?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4617e33a50

I remember seeing them on eBay for around the £40 mark shortly after they came out. The price then seemed to sky rocket some time afterwards.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em:

IMG_2306.JPG

My tribute to the lovely wagons earlier in the thread.  And yes, I did have some eBay madness when the original Nativity set I was bidding on went beyond the price that the joke was still worth it.  Sourced this one from Amazon for a fraction of the price & the Crocodile* from my stock box.

*Don't think there was one at the Nativity.  May well have been during the flight into Egypt...

• Like 2

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em:

IMG_2306.JPG

My tribute to the lovely wagons earlier in the thread.  And yes, I did have some eBay madness when the original Nativity set I was bidding on went beyond the price that the joke was still worth it.  Sourced this one from Amazon for a fraction of the price & the Crocodile* from my stock box.

*Don't think there was one at the Nativity.  May well have been during the flight into Egypt...

Bah Humbug!

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of postage and costs, I had a proper :banghead:  :banghead: moment a couple of weeks a go.

I sold 2 wagons to a guy who won them through 2 separate auctions.

I weighed them and input the info into the postage calculator.

He already asked me if I would combine shipping, I ofcourse agreed to.

The shipping cost came to £6.50 for which I thought was abit steep for 2 bogie wagons, 2nd class recorded. Of course RM cots have skyrocketed recently.

As a good will gesture, I refunded him £1 of his postage cost.

I packed them at my own expense and also drove to the PO at my own expense!

He then marked me down on postage costs on my 5 out of 5 star detailed seller ratings.

I sometimes wonder why I ******* bother.

• RMweb Gold

Decided to move on some of my diesel stock as they were sitting around doing nothing and felt it was time to realise some cash.  Needless to say after previous experience I put 'UK Bidders Only Please' clearly in my listings as quite frankly overseas transactions and the vagaries of the Royal Mail means it is far more trouble than its worth.

Cue a message received withing twenty four hours inquiring about shipping costs to New Zealand...   :banghead:

Does nobody bother to read listings properly anymore?  :rtfm:

I'm in Canada, and as a rule of thumb, if it says uk only in the postage bit then I'll ask if they'd consider sending to Canada, and usually they do. If the listing description itself says uk only, then I don't bother.

Cheers

Jason

• Like 2

Question: Would you like to do the work involved plus material for less!?

I personally think it sounds very cheap!

If a client came to me with a project like that, which surely would take at least 10-20 hours to complete, it would cost at least £ 150-300 + materials....

Question: Would you like to do the work involved plus material for less!?

I personally think it sounds very cheap!

If a client came to me with a project like that, which surely would take at least 10-20 hours to complete, it would cost at least £ 150-300 + materials....

It wasn't so much the price (I don't dispute the work involved) as the pointlessness of the project!

The same seller also has this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kitmaster-Beyer-Garrett-conversion-buyer-to-go-on-with-/171197069062?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item27dc23f706

I would think motorisation needs to be considered well before reaching this stage in the construction

and this one seems to have involved much more work

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mainline-Royal-Scot-Conversion-into-1947-loco-exchange-livery-plus-special-Tende-/171197070095?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item27dc23fb0f

Edited by Il Grifone

£50 for a set of sides for the Hornby Fowler 2-6-4T:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BRASS-DETAIL-CONVERSION-KIT-for-Hornby-BR-FOWLER-2-6-4T-BRASSWORKS-WESTWARD-/200999476201?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2ecc809be9

I personally thought it was done by Perceverance but perhaps marketed by Westward at the end.  He even has done a poor job of covering up the original  £24.45 price label!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of postage and costs, I had a proper :banghead:  :banghead: moment a couple of weeks a go.

I sold 2 wagons to a guy who won them through 2 separate auctions.

I weighed them and input the info into the postage calculator.

He already asked me if I would combine shipping, I ofcourse agreed to.

The shipping cost came to £6.50 for which I thought was abit steep for 2 bogie wagons, 2nd class recorded. Of course RM cots have skyrocketed recently.

As a good will gesture, I refunded him £1 of his postage cost.

I packed them at my own expense and also drove to the PO at my own expense!

He then marked me down on postage costs on my 5 out of 5 star detailed seller ratings.

I sometimes wonder why I ******* bother.

Is it not possible to take this up with Ebay? It would seem to be clearly unreasonable feedback from the buyer. Ebay prides itself on the 'trust' aspect of its feedback system as a business tool.

I'm in Canada, and as a rule of thumb, if it says uk only in the postage bit then I'll ask if they'd consider sending to Canada, and usually they do. If the listing description itself says uk only, then I don't bother.

Cheers

Jason

This has happened to me quite regularly by 'thinking' overseas bidders.

• Like 1

£50 for a set of sides for the Hornby Fowler 2-6-4T:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BRASS-DETAIL-CONVERSION-KIT-for-Hornby-BR-FOWLER-2-6-4T-BRASSWORKS-WESTWARD-/200999476201?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2ecc809be9

I personally thought it was done by Perseverance but perhaps marketed by Westward at the end.  He even has done a poor job of covering up the original  £24.45 price label!....

It was Perseverance.

Anyhow, similar sides are available, on and off, from Mike Edge (Judith Edge) at a fraction of what that profiteer is demanding.

• RMweb Premium

Is it not possible to take this up with Ebay? It would seem to be clearly unreasonable feedback from the buyer. Ebay prides itself on the 'trust' aspect of its feedback system as a business tool.

Well I did actually write an appropriately worded and polite message to ebay which subsequently didn't even warrant any kind of reply on their part!

I would assume that they must be inundated with similar emails especially since RM vastly inflated their charges.

I sometimes think that a lot of buyers who do a lot more buying than selling simply don't realise how expensive it is to post items now.

Edited by Gary H

I can only say that when Gosturde departs this Earth - and please God let it be soon - his Executors are going to find a hell of a lot of unsold stock on their hands....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Anyone modelling the Union Specific in the USA?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Spectrum-85004-HO-OO-gauge-Union-Specific-Dash-8-40C-9183-/121230378210?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1c39e4c4e2

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern