Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

298, on 07 Mar 2014 - 23:56, said:

I'd like to shake his hand. How many secondhand stalls do you see that are full of the same old overpriced cr@p that nobody wants, I'd suggest doing the "Secret Millionaire" thing and giving it away to kids, but I doubt they'd want much of it. At least this Guy is doing a service, and isn't really making alot of money at it either. If you don't like it, then it is at least an inspiration to do better.

Sorry, I can't see how selling a crap item to someone who thinks it looks the part is doing anyone a service. Edited by knobhead

Battle of Britain - Yes, Merchant Navy - No

Really wish people would do some research about what they are selling, before selling it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-LOCOMOTIVE-BATTLE-OF-BRITAIN-MERCHANT-NAVY-CLASS-/191093383809?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2c7e0da281

Also, I believe this livery is known as Photographic Grey? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

The thing is...

Although I have listed this model as "Used", it is in fact brand new because the box has only ever been opened to take the photographs for the Ebay advert. Further more, it has never been placed on any track, or its motor started up.

So..is it working? (The same could be said of any un-opened stock, such as the GC Goods Loco referred to previously...)

And, if the box has only ever been opened to take the photographs for the Ebay advert, how did the Golden Arrow arrows get blu-tacked in place, and why?

:scratchhead:

Edited by Sarahagain

You know that static A4 model that you could get complete with a magazine for about £3 a few weeks ago? 

Well look here....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mallard-Class-A4-Oo-Gauge-1-76-Suit-Hornby-Etc-Static-Model-Lner-4468-/111295914749?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item19e9c0e2fd

Obligingly the seller has put up a photo of the front end showing off the completely wrong lining to great effect. 

You know that static A4 model that you could get complete with a magazine for about £3 a few weeks ago?

Well look here....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mallard-Class-A4-Oo-Gauge-1-76-Suit-Hornby-Etc-Static-Model-Lner-4468-/111295914749?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item19e9c0e2fd

Obligingly the seller has put up a photo of the front end showing off the completely wrong lining to great effect.

Indeed. Note, too, his attempt to sidestep his obligations with Royal Mail as the sender...

Another seller to avoid, methinks.

Hi 

I did ask him why it was priced so high and this is what i got back from them!, Maybe you need to go back to school. I paid £23.45 for the item. With ebay fees of approx. £3 and a listing fee of £.40 I think if I sell it at £27 I will make 15 pence. Maybe you need to rethink your comments next time before you put them in black and white. 

Edited by darren01

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

I did ask him why it was priced so high and this is what i got back from them!, Maybe you need to go back to school. I paid £23.45 for the item. With ebay fees of approx. £3 and a listing fee of £.40 I think if I sell it at £27 I will make 15 pence. Maybe you need to rethink your comments next time before you put them in black and white. 

Maybe you should remind him that the schools most of us went to taught us that price paid isn't necessarily equal to value?

• Like 1

Hi 

A lot cheaper for the genuine article.

http://www.themodelcentre.com/37-980WTMC/

Hi 

I think he needs to go back to 'school' as if he paid £23.45p for the wagon, he was 'mugged'.

(School of, do some research, before you get ripped off and over-pay for something).

The school for information is located in Shilling Lane near Poundland.

Hi 

I would reply back to him with

A) How would I know how much you paid.

B) £23.45 !! They saw you coming. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How about a South Eastern Finecast LNER hush-hush loco kit at £160, when you can get the kit from SEF for less than £100?Thane of fife

Not a Gosturde special by any chance? I thought he was away on holiday, paid for by the proceeds of his overpriced "Buy-It-Now" lots.

It seems to be a constant funny story with Hornby APT-P's on eBay at present. I'd been watching a few sets, bidding here and there on full sets and weighing up the options of trying to get individual cars. I gave in on a buy it now set that popped up at £150 last week (well maintained and a runner in the description, good selection of photos). Offer in of £125 and pipped by someone else's offer at £140, so I just went for the buy it now price and I'm kind of glad I did. Mint condition bar one missing cable on the power car (no matter as it'll all be modified anyway). It turned out to be the cheaper option, as another set went yesterday for £165 and individual cars have been fetching £50 each, i.e, someone somewhere is forking out circa £250 to make one 'standard' APT set. Makes the Olivia's 'backstock' £200 offer look good.....

It does make me wonder just what people do to all those pantographs and trailer bogies before selling on the remainder of a set / car......

-

EDIT for grammar corrections

Edited by 60800

Not a Gosturde special by any chance? I thought he was away on holiday, paid for by the proceeds of his overpriced "Buy-It-Now" lots.

Surprisingly not. However, it seems to be the only railway item on offer by the vendor. Of course he may have got his inspiration for the price from our friend...

• RMweb Premium

I am stumped by this one. Can anyone see anything here that justifies a finishing price over a hundred notes as all I can see is landfill.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281274457123?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649