EBay madness

Marcyg

Seagulls again?

This is claimed to be based on a photograph of the real thing (I would be interested to see it, seeing the likelihood of a locomotive being in this condition - above all still in 1940s GWR livery!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Class-56XX-Tank-6600-GWR-/151459441063?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2343afa9a7

What is it with this white staining all over the loco?

What is it with this white staining all over the loco?

It must have been sent to Kernow china clay country.

I did consider this, but, since china clay gets everywhere including the wheels and frames, I had to rule this out which only leaves seagulls or other large flying creatures - pterodactyls? rocs?

Cartmel again!

Since when was 46245 'City of Liverpool'? or is this error the reason for the ridiculous price?

Seagulls again?

This is claimed to be based on a photograph of the real thing (I would be interested to see it, seeing the likelihood of a locomotive being in this condition - above all still in 1940s GWR livery!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Class-56XX-Tank-6600-GWR-/151459441063?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2343afa9a7

Arguably, that rust actually looks really good. Inappropriate on a loco, but hand him a 16T mineral and thatd look good.

As weathering would appear to be so popular, I'm off to dip my all my surplus junk stock in a bucket of old engine oil and then I'll wipe off the excess with a tea towel. I'll make a fortune. Not. :no:

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I like my stock "ex-works"...

I think 'proper'weathering is truly a fine art - when it is done carefully and properly (and with careful research)  it can produce absolutely outstanding results. The trouble is that a lot of what we see on Ebay are purely ham fisted attempts that are just a complete mess and either completely ruin a half decent model or are attempts to make a few quid out of coating a piece of life expired old junk with diluted white or brown paint and passing it off as a scrap yard scene. 

The trouble is that people keep buying this junk therefore encouraging these sellers to attempt to mess up even more stock.

There clearly is a market for it but I do wonder if it is true 'modelling' or just misguided vandalism or profiteering! Having said that - if people didn't buy this rubbish they would probably stop doing it!

• RMweb Gold

I think 'proper'weathering is truly a fine art - when it is done carefully and properly (and with careful research)  it can produce absolutely outstanding results.

If only these people would understand that.

The trouble is that a lot of what we see on Ebay are purely ham fisted attempts that are just a complete mess and either completely ruin a half decent model or are attempts to make a few quid out of coating a piece of life expired old junk with diluted white or brown paint and passing it off as a scrap yard scene. 

Spot on!

Now this is proper weathering: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/2429-weathering-with-ink-and-weathering-powders/

Edited by Re6/6

Part of the art of weathering is to strike the fine line between too 'new' and 'overdone'. Most stock in the late steam era was quite dirty*, but I never saw anything in the state portrayed by the horrors selected for our hallowed pages.

* There was of course, the odd ex-works item, but they didn't usually stay like that very long. It wasn't until the use of smokeless fuel and central heating became normal during the fifties and sixties, that it became worthwhile to clean buildings due to the high level smoke in the air. 'Smog' is now a thing of the past (in this country at least), but it wasn't then - a layer of dark grey/black was the norm.

EDIT for excess of commas.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

Not ebay, but...

http://www.ehattons.com/90898/Scratchbuilt_KB064_SAS_Ian_Kirk_kit_LNER_Gresley_buffet_car_Pre_owned_sold_as_seen/StockDetail.aspx

Can someone explain how an unbuilt kit can count as scratchbuilt?

They've been looking at too many 'Sturd descriptions.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

The general heading is "scratchbuilt".

It shows.

Assuming this is mostly the work of one man, he was quite prolific.   I was wondering if he was the guy who created all the masters for MTK's offerings?