EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

Just wait until it gets to the first tunnel/overbridge, that'll fix it!

Ah yes, but it's HO scale, so as long as your railway is OO gauge you might just get away with it. :jester:

• Like 1

Did I misread the nameplate? It didn't say 'Exeter' did it?

• Like 1

Ah yes, but it's HO scale, so as long as your railway is OO gauge you might just get away with it. :jester:

It's OK on width, but, since the overall height is over 5cm*, it is very close to the loading gauge. (From a similar** caboose I have lying around of Hong Kong origins - maybe a future shed/office or maybe destined for the bin..  (I don't think either ATSF or SP actually had any of these to make into offices, despite one or two models in my possession.)

* Approximate as it lacks floor and bogies/trucks! Allowing 10mm, the roof of the cupola is 53mm above rail, so it should be OK.

** Could even be identical - Life-Like items hail from that area too

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium

Experienced seller, apparently.

Indeed, as a dealer he's trying to get the best price he can from a load of mutant junk that he's acquired, though he might stand a better chance of a sale by auction with a low start rather than BIN at £20. At least he's identified what's wrong with it and is selling for spares.

Why oh Why?

One can only ask this of the person responsible for these mutations (there are several). Possibly the 'boy next door' from Toy Story, who 'converted' all his toys.

I know it's 'madness' but I sometimes feel on this thread that the dealers are held responsible for the carp they end up having to shift, when they may have acquired it in a job lot or a clearance job. I suppose they could bin it immediately on aesthetic grounds but if there's a chance of a sale surely as a business they should go for it.

On the other hand there are some dealers who are totally ignorant about toy/model trains but they're usually only a small part of their stock.

Always an entertaining thread though.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Experienced seller, apparently.

Indeed, as a dealer he's trying to get the best price he can from a load of mutant junk that he's acquired, though he might stand a better chance of a sale by auction with a low start rather than BIN at £20. At least he's identified what's wrong with it and is selling for spares.

Why oh Why?

One can only ask this of the person responsible for these mutations (there are several). Possibly the 'boy next door' from Toy Story, who 'converted' all his toys.

I know it's 'madness' but I sometimes feel on this thread that the dealers are held responsible for the carp they end up having to shift, when they may have acquired it in a job lot or a clearance job. I suppose they could bin it immediately on aesthetic grounds but if there's a chance of a sale surely as a business they should go for it.

On the other hand there are some dealers who are totally ignorant about toy/model trains but they're usually only a small part of their stock.

Always an entertaining thread though.

Pete

You'd be surprised by the high prices some dealers are ready to pay for boxes of carp at auctions, sometimes while cheerfully ignoring boxed lots which turn out to contain some really juicy items such as RG4s!  When it comes to selling on they do however have a  simple choice - having taken out the goodies (assuming there really were some) they could offer the junk on at low start auction prices and trust to the bidders.  But no - putting relatively high prices on junk does their reputations no good and just gets them laughed at in threads like this (but meanwhile they seem to have a constant stream of somewhat wealthy buyers  :scratchhead: )

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What makes the seller think that £19.99 is cheap for a pair of bugg repainted Hornby 'shortie' Mk 3s?  (or that the kids would like them - even as a child, I expected the proper colours...)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What makes the seller think that £19.99 is cheap for a pair of bugg repainted Hornby 'shortie' Mk 3s?  (or that the kids would like them - even as a child, I expected the proper colours...)

Even a famous tank engine, has locos & everything else that look like 'proper trains'. Indeed I would suggest that is a significant part of the success of the books, models and rest of the franchised products.

Full marks to Britt Allcroft for recognising this and INSISTING that the quality be maintained. Yes I know that sometimes the various copyright holders have been a bit harsh, on unlicenced copyright infringers, but overall, its a most consistent brand.

• Like 2

Not disagreeing, but is all that ERTL rubbish 'quality'? It makes me cringe every time I come across a piece, for its sheer crudity (not to mention the price). (Or is it just me?)

• Like 1