EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold

Not just the carp ..... but the price.

Unbelievable.

The twit has probably been looking at boxed lots at auction (I wouldn't be surprised if that junk came as part of one).  Boxed lots are great fun provided you are careful and know what you're looking for/at, they can be a major trap for the unwary if you don't.  Hence you can find a 'hidden' RG4 in the bottom of a box of junk and get the lot for 15 quid or all sorts of actually useful bits & pieces along with a half-built whitemetal kit etc for not too much more.  Or you see idiots spending £200 on a box full of stuff they could get in a shop for not much over £120.

I've had soem good stuff out of box lots (and some rubbish which has gone straight in the bin) but generally in the past what I've sold on has covered the cost of the entire lot - without nonsensical profiteering like that load of junk.

• RMweb Gold

Every now and then I get a question from potential buyers on Ebay, some make perfect sense others are a bit more vague ... can anyone decipher this? (I'm selling a Hornby DCC Ready A4 Chassis):

"Hi my boyfriend has few doc trains and wants no if you can do dcc chassis thanks"

Glenn

dc transposed to doc by predictive text?

Every now and then I get a question from potential buyers on Ebay, some make perfect sense others are a bit more vague ... can anyone decipher this? (I'm selling a Hornby DCC Ready A4 Chassis):

"Hi my boyfriend has few doc trains and wants no if you can do dcc chassis thanks"

Glenn

Are you married? If so, the only bit that makes any sense to me could cause some domestic strife! "Hi my boyfriend" is pretty clear, but then it deteriorates into gibberish :jester:.

Glenn

My understanding is as follows.

"Hi, my boyfriend has a few DCC engines, and would like to know if you can do a DCC chassis. Thanks." Or... "...a few DC engines..."

This may have resulted from simply not knowing/understanding the concept of DC/DCC Ready/DCC Fitted models, which has resulted in confusion of the Girlfriend. As for the text-speak, that's unfixable.

Regards,

Matt

Edited by TheSoutherner

The tender has been advertised for several months,  like many of his kit built locos. He obviously doesn't believe in promoting quick turnover. Perhaps he spends his time playing with his Studebakers.

Thane of Fife

PS first noted in November 2013

Edited by Thane of Fife

• RMweb Premium

"Hi, my boyfriend has a few DCC engines, and would like to know if you can do a DCC chassis. Thanks." Or... "...a few DC engines..."

This may have resulted from simply not knowing/understanding the the concept of DC/DCC Ready/DCC Fitted models, which has resulted in confusion of the Girlfriend. As for the text-speak, that's unfixable.

Regards,

Matt

Agreed, how is a non expert modeller supposed to buy something that they know little about. How many of us have partners that would know what DCC is?

Best off saying I would like that specific item, or a hint - print out sitting on the coffee table etc, to avoid disappointment.

Agreed, how is a non expert modeller supposed to buy something that they know little about. How many of us have partners that would know what DCC is?

Best off saying I would like that specific item, or a hint - print out sitting on the coffee table etc, to avoid disappointment.

Don't think even that would work with my wife!!

The usual response at birthday or Christmas is ''why do you want another train (she doesn't even call them locos) - you've got about 60 already - and they all look the same??''

This may have resulted from simply not knowing/understanding the the concept of DC/DCC Ready/DCC Fitted models, which has resulted in confusion of the Girlfriend. As for the text-speak, that's unfixable.

Regards,

Matt

My understanding/translation of it is "How much are his toy trains worth, so I can pressure him into flogging them & spend the money on me instead"....

/deeply cynical (a.k.a. "wish I'd stayed Single") mode <off> :mad:

• RMweb Premium

The usual response at birthday or Christmas is ''why do you want another train (she doesn't even call them locos) - you've got about 60 already - and they all look the same??''

But presumably that has the advantage that surreptitious additions to the fleet would go un-noticed?

I couldn't get away with that any more if I wanted to. Cue child saying loudly "Daddy! When did you get that WAGN liveried class 03?" or similar...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

But presumably that has the advantage that surreptitious additions to the fleet would go un-noticed?

I couldn't get away with that any more if I wanted to. Cue child saying loudly "Daddy! When did you get that WAGN liveried class 03?" or similar...

A friend of mine used to smuggle new models into his railway room (ex garage). About every 6 months or so, she ventured out there, where she'd point out something & say 'that looks new'! His answer was that he'd 'had it for ages'. Indeed so, if you counted any time within the last 6 months as 'ages'.

• Like 3

I get variations on the theme - "You have too many already!", " Not more trains!", "They all look the same!", "I don't like wagons!"* etc.

* Turin has a goods yard next to the cemetry, so wagons have unfortunate associations for SWMBO. Being various shades of mucky red-brown didn't help. She does appreciate the superioty of steam locomotives over Diesels and electrics however.

• Like 1

I get variations on the theme - "You have too many already!", " Not more trains!", "They all look the same!", "I don't like wagons!"* etc.

Happily as time goes by, the Radley shop has taken over in SWMBO's life.......handbags, umbrellas, etc., etc..  Even the purchase of the occasional 'top' garment has turned into a regular occurrence.  The expression which starts with ' I thought it would go with....' is enshrined in her life.

Hence the need for me to 'store' the rest of the rolling stock in drawers !  That which will not fit on a 7ft long traverser board with six tracks  :jester:

Rationalisation - not a word we use here !!

• RMweb Premium

'top' garment has turned into a regular occurrence.  The expression which starts with ' I thought it would go with....' is enshrined in her life.

How about:

"I got that Bachmann 25 because I thought it would go with my rake of Mk I coaches...."?

• Like 5