RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

She would look far better like this (choice of liveries - sorry it's in Danish, but seeing where they were built).

https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOHAB_AA16

"The loco is in good clean condition there has possibly been some over painiting as shown in the pictures." 

Possibly?????

Not sure what the Victorian Railways B Class has to do with it, other than some components were the same.

Not sure what the Victorian Railways B Class has to do with it, other than some components were the same.

I think it's because they were all derived from the EMD F series. (I always liked these even in my youthful Diesel and Electric hating days - steam still rules of course*.)

* But how could anyone not love these:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FS_Class_D.345

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FS_Class_E.330

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSB_Class_MZ

I have two examples of Lima's model of the last and the works of a third was intended to power a Märklin MY body (there is a problem with bogie clearance....)

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold

Irritation from Ebay itself this time.

I have put up an old BR T-shaped carriage key but they've taken it down citing "it is against our 'uniforms' policy"

"Keys (including switch keys or switch lock keys), tools, or anything, regardless of age, that can control transit vehicles such as subways or trains".

Any suggestions as to how I could 're-describe' it?!

• RMweb Premium

Irritation from Ebay itself this time.

I have put up an old BR T-shaped carriage key but they've taken it down citing "it is against our 'uniforms' policy"

Any suggestions as to how I could 're-describe' it?!

The problem that you have is that the recent train stealing incident in Melbourne & other places around the world, have apparently been made easier, by the listing & purchasing of railway 'keys' on eBay. Doubtless various rail & law enforcement authorities has asked eBay to remove such items, for which they have done so in your case. They might cite another reason, but I suspect they will remove any future ad you place, for the same item.

Not madness, but, 8 Alan Gibson wagon wheels already at £10.50 plus £2 p&p.

New from Gibson's they are £1.35 per axle + £2.00 p&p = £12.80

Nothing in it so far, but one more bid and Why?

They are now £11 + £2 p&p.

Edited by Penlan

I often see that with Slaters O gauge wheels. I hope to pick up a bargain, but then they get up to close to the list price, plus postage, so it would be cheaper to buy new while ordering other stuff I'd have to pay postage on anyway.

• RMweb Gold

The problem that you have is that the recent train stealing incident in Melbourne & other places around the world, have apparently been made easier, by the listing & purchasing of railway 'keys' on eBay. Doubtless various rail & law enforcement authorities has asked eBay to remove such items, for which they have done so in your case. They might cite another reason, but I suspect they will remove any future ad you place, for the same item.

Kevin, you were spot on. This was the reply that I got from them, so Plan B will giving to a preserved railway!

I'd like to inform you that we don't allow any type of railway keys or carriage keys to be listed on the site. eBay was contacted by several railroads who expressed concern about such keys. Even keys that appear antique may still be in use. To prevent issues that could lead to the loss of life or property, eBay made the decision to prohibit all railroad locks and keys regardless of age. As virtually, we can't verify that what is the actual use of these keys; hence, we have put a blanket ban on such item. I'd request and appreciate, if you won't relist this item on the site.
  • Like 1

Sorry to deviate away from the subject, but I have found something that looks REALLY DANGEROUS.

One wrong foot and you've got one ton of prime beef cascading out of the wagon as the train pelts through Grantham at 75 mph....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kit-Built-12t-BR-Cattle-van-wagon-PRO-WEATHERED-LOOK-Read-description-/401026521714?hash=item5d5f0b1a72:g:gogAAOSwcdBWRg5R

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to deviate away from the subject, but I have found something that looks REALLY DANGEROUS.

One wrong foot and you've got one ton of prime beef cascading out of the wagon as the train pelts through Grantham at 75 mph....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kit-Built-12t-BR-Cattle-van-wagon-PRO-WEATHERED-LOOK-Read-description-/401026521714?hash=item5d5f0b1a72:g:gogAAOSwcdBWRg5R

Don't worry - it's 'professionally weathered' .

• Like 1

I don't see any real problem with the wheels, a little polish with a fibreglass brush will sort them. But the chassis is something else, if the buyer wants to run it with the P4 wheelsets they will need a complete new chassis. The mechanics of that are ridiculous, you would need to be a genius to get it to run, even with 00 std wheels. Does anyone do an etched chassis?

Keith

I don't see any real problem with the wheels, a little polish with a fibreglass brush will sort them. But the chassis is something else, if the buyer wants to run it with the P4 wheelsets they will need a complete new chassis. The mechanics of that are ridiculous, you would need to be a genius to get it to run, even with 00 std wheels. Does anyone do an etched chassis?

Keith

this loco runs on wider than P4 its broad gauge which works out at 28mm

this loco runs on wider than P4 its broad gauge which works out at 28mm

P4 meaning modelling the prototype to 4mm to the foot. Can be any gauge depending on the prototype. 28mm and a tad in this case, 18.83mm if modelling std gauge, 14mm for cape gauge. And besides it was the wheelprofiles I referred to.

Regards

28mm is the track gauge, the quoted 25.5mm is supposidly the back to back gauge. They are definately P4 sized flanges and it has a K's Mk2 motor and gearbox combo(!). I still think at least one of those wheels is beyond saving.

Anyway I think we all agree the chassis is useless!

Tony

Not madness, but, 8 Alan Gibson wagon wheels already at £10.50 plus £2 p&p.

New from Gibson's they are £1.35 per axle + £2.00 p&p = £12.80

Nothing in it so far, but one more bid and Why?

They are now £11 + £2 p&p.

Ah, the Xmas effect - the season of generosity and good will to all sellers.

At least the buyer(s) had a few moments of excitement as they fought over them to see who would win.

P4 meaning modelling the prototype to 4mm to the foot.

So modellers who model in OO, EM and OO9 don't model in 4mm to the foot!! :no:

The only thing that makes P4 different is that they model the track standard gauge correctly to the 4mm/ft rule and then also like to put don the rest who may model everything else perfectly to 4mm to the foot as being "narrow gauge" or some how inferior.

There are plenty of OO and EM modellers out there who do a better job at the scenics and the loco than some who claim P4 credentials - it is just they accept that they fall below perfection on the track gauge.

On the subject of P4, there seems to have been quite a few P4 kits with wheels and individual sets of wheels come up on ebay in the last week or so. Most going for reasonable prices in the end though not hotly fought over.

Is this a sign ? A change of fashion ?

So modellers who model in OO, EM and OO9 don't model in 4mm to the foot!!  :no:

Not so far as the track gauge and wheel profiles go, which was the only issue under discussion read in context, so why bring the old gauge wars/elitism issue into it?

Regards

Not so far as the track gauge and wheel profiles go, which was the only issue under discussion read in context, so why bring the old gauge wars/elitism issue into it?

Regards

Because the way you "put down" Mozzer's comment. P4 has nothing to do with Broad Gauge. (other than the 4mm scale, that all these modelling gauges share)

It is not a war, it is just a difference in track+wheel measurements - I build locos to P4 as well as other scales and gauges, so it is no big deal, nothing special just another variant on the hobby.

28mm is the track gauge, the quoted 25.5mm is supposidly the back to back gauge. They are definately P4 sized flanges and it has a K's Mk2 motor and gearbox combo(!). I still think at least one of those wheels is beyond saving.

Anyway I think we all agree the chassis is useless!

Tony

For 28.08mm gauge, the back to back should be between 26.92 and 27.00mm, so presumably it's built to a narrower gauge to take courser wheels, although the Broad Gauge Society don't have a recommended standard for one, so it could be anything. Not that it has courser wheels, so it could be an interesting job to get it to run on the buyer's layout!

....On the subject of P4, there seems to have been quite a few P4 kits with wheels and individual sets of wheels come up on ebay in the last week or so. Most going for reasonable prices in the end though not hotly fought over.

Is this a sign ? A change of fashion ?

Some of those are coming to me. :-)