RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

Have a look at the sellers other items and try and find the non-rare stuff.............

Cheers,

Mick

Funny, even the Airfix girder bridge & (incomplete) footbridge are listed as rare. I wonder how many of each kit have been made by Airfix/Dapol over the past 50 plus years?

Have a look at the sellers other items and try and find the non-rare stuff.............

Cheers,

Mick

The word is certainly overused, but most of it, I suggest, is 'rare', because it never was 'sought after'........

• RMweb Premium

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lawrence-Scale-Larry-Goddard-Kemilway-Gresley-BG-Blue-Grey-coach-OO-dc-dcc-/231772909084?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

At least this the real thing (and rather nice!) unlike our friend's often seen 'believed to be...or in the style of...' at some grotesque price for something without proper provenance.

That's cos it comes from honest Baz!

Baz

• Like 1

I'm sure we've had this seller on here before, but what on earth is this??????? :O

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/weathered-locomotive-OO-gauge-scrapyard-Industrial-Saddle-Tank-heavily-rusted-/291636061316?hash=item43e6dd2484:g:YgQAAOSwAKxWab4W

There are quite a few other gems too.....  Unfortunate GBL and Kitmaster offerings.

I liked  the heavily encrusted (those seagulls again?) 'Schools' resting (in the centre of the well, on one axle and on a cross member) on a Triang WELTROL. The poor thing would have collapsed under the weight.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold

Ah but it's a model of that oddity a 'City of Truro Austerity'

What is more alarming is that people have actually bid on it. Perhaps if this 'artiste' read this thread and saw the error of his ways, he might do better if he stuck to believable projects. :rolleyes:

Here's a lovely example of the old cigarette lighter creating melted plastic method    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/weathered-coach-OO-gauge-scrapyard-GWR-fire-damaged-coach-heavily-rusted-/301821487142?hash=item4645f66826:g:4PAAAOSwwE5Wab7x

More money could perhaps have been made by selling in original form.

Edited by Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

Hey don't forget the rusted wood, that's a real feature of this land-fill!

"hand painted by professional artist". My initial reaction is that professional was typed by mistake, instead of something with four letters ending in double s, but I suppose if there's a market for them someone needs to supply it! I could do with earning some money, so maybe I could set up in competition!

"hand painted by professional artist". My initial reaction is that professional was typed by mistake, instead of something with four letters ending in double s, but I suppose if there's a market for them someone needs to supply it! I could do with earning some money, so maybe I could set up in competition!

I've considered myself, but most of the items have no bids....

(I can't imagine why!  :scratchhead: )

• Like 1

Still looking for a stocking filler that's a bit different?  Mary Shelley has the answer-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scratch-built-pair-of-corner-ruined-building-models-/321945372682?hash=item4af570880a:g:SloAAOSwf-VWafFU

So that's what you can use those coffee stirring sticks for! :)

Edited by Il Grifone

The main problem I think with all these extreme weathered objects is that very few prototype locomotives lasted long enough after withdrawal to get to this state. Most were cut up almost at once. They normally weren't left at the end of some odd siding to rot. Rolling stock maybe, but even this wasn't common. I can remember seeing some wagons left the wrong side of a closed level crossing in the distant past and there is a van sitting in the closed station at Bosa in Sardinia* (cut off by subsidence of the embankment I understand). None of these were/are in the state usually depicted.

* At least it was still there the last time I passed by.

• Like 1

They actually make good sawn timber loads for PO open wagons!

Keith

I've used them to make some baulks for a WELTROL. It wasn't 100% successful (the individual pieces are visible despite sanding), but they didn't cost anything which is always a great advantage...

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

I'm sure we've had this seller on here before, but what on earth is this??????? :O

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/weathered-locomotive-OO-gauge-scrapyard-Industrial-Saddle-Tank-heavily-rusted-/291636061316?hash=item43e6dd2484:g:YgQAAOSwAKxWab4W

There are quite a few other gems too.....  Unfortunate GBL and Kitmaster offerings.

I liked  the heavily encrusted (those seagulls again?) 'Schools' resting (in the centre of the well, on one axle and on a cross member) on a Triang WELTROL. The poor thing would have collapsed under the weight.

I do love the way that the guy who sells these proudly confirms that each one is 'finished in a protective coat of matt lacquer'! After all you wouldn't want to buy one and find that his unique hand crafted effect had been damaged in the post!!

Interesting that he uses the word 'lacquered' as opposed to 'varnished' - mind you when you look at the stuff he creates I think it is safe to say that they do look well and truly knack lacquered!

• RMweb Premium

The main problem I think with all these extreme weathered objects is that very few prototype locomotives lasted long enough after withdrawal to get to this state. Most were cut up almost at once. They normally weren't left at the end of some odd siding to rot. Rolling stock maybe, but even this wasn't common. I can remember seeing some wagons left the wrong side of a closed level crossing in the distant past and there is a van sitting in the closed station at Bosa in Sardinia* (cut off by subsidence of the embankment I understand). None of these were/are in the state usually depicted.

They may not have lasted long enough after initial withdrawal to get in that state but I've seen a few on preserved railways not far off that.

• RMweb Premium

Barry?

Barry?

Barry?

I was going to mention Barry as an exception, but it was a special case and would require to be modelled as such, likewise the preserved lines. I did say 'normally' to cover these cases.

There are a few further pedantic points I could mention with regard to the actual details portrayed......

(The valvegear of the 'Schools' and the steam pipe under the missing 'blinker' for example. What is supporting the connecting rods?)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/weathered-locomotive-OO-gauge-scrapyard-SR-Schools-4-4-0-on-a-low-loader-heavily-/301820294775?hash=item4645e43677:g:EuYAAOSwwE5WaCpE

IMHO, modelling a derelict item convincingly is, if anything, more difficult than in operating condition.

The industrial Garratt is quite neat however, if improbable. (Rather over-boilered I think.)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/weathered-locomotive-OO-gauge-scrapyard-Industrial-Garrett-type-heavily-rusted-/301820285301?hash=item4645e41175:g:ry4AAOSwNphWaCTx

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

I do love the way that the guy who sells these proudly confirms that each one is 'finished in a protective coat of matt lacquer'! After all you wouldn't want to buy one and find that his unique hand crafted effect had been damaged in the post!!

Interesting that he uses the word 'lacquered' as opposed to 'varnished' - mind you when you look at the stuff he creates I think it is safe to say that they do look well and truly knack lacquered!

Well as he has over 1300 positive feedbacks this year......someone likes it out there, and spent quite a bit of money as well.

He seems to be doing rather nicely.

I guess he is using laquer as opposed to varnish as of course they are two different things.

Edited by BlackRat

• RMweb Premium

The main problem I think with all these extreme weathered objects is that very few prototype locomotives lasted long enough after withdrawal to get to this state. Most were cut up almost at once. They normally weren't left at the end of some odd siding to rot.

Not UK but how about these:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x93ffbb17f048ef93:0xd44455af8ff66ef0!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i100!3m1!7e1!4shttps://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/55364301!5strain+cemetery+uyuni+-+Google+Search&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj6n9m_wtzJAhVJiRoKHVVwASkQoioIeDAN

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium