RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

If you repeat the search with "completed listings" then a lot of these have been sold for between £40-60. And some fool has actually bought one for £200! Will they keep till next Xmas if they don't sell this time round? :P

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile - how would you define "Worldwide" when it comes to sending your sold item? Try this from a few moments ago:

Item location: Peterborough, United Kingdom

Dispatches to: Worldwide

Excludes: Central America and Caribbean, Middle East, Russian Federation, Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Czech Republic, Estonia, France, Gibraltar, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Ukraine, Vatican City State, Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Congo, Republic of the, Cote d Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon Republic, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mayotte, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Reunion, Rwanda, Saint Helena, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, Bermuda, Mexico, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan Republic, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan

And, in case you care, the item was a Bachmann Class 24!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350420027489&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Watched the above kit finish earlier today and am just shocked at the final amount

Have bought three myself in recent times and never paid more than £15 including postage

George would be astounded at that price

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Watched the above kit finish earlier today and am just shocked at the final amount

Have bought three myself in recent times and never paid more than £15 including postage

I have got 2 of these.....must get them on Ebay, as you say George would have been staggered at the price, but they are rare now in un-built form, quite a nice kit anyway.

Ebay has surprises, but often these prices have a stack of bidding, there is interest, and if people want an item they will pay for it. The annoying ones are the high start prices, and plain ludicrous reserves some sellers start with, quite out of step with comparable items.

The other nuisance are private listings where false bidding is obviously being used to force prices up, quite illegal but done widely.especially on HK listings etc , mainly for new electrical items.

Stephen.

I have got 2 of these.....must get them on Ebay, as you say George would have been staggered at the price, but they are rare now in un-built form, quite a nice kit anyway.

Ebay has surprises, but often these prices have a stack of bidding, there is interest, and if people want an item they will pay for it. The annoying ones are the high start prices, and plain ludicrous reserves some sellers start with, quite out of step with comparable items.

The other nuisance are private listings where false bidding is obviously being used to force prices up, quite illegal but done widely.especially on HK listings etc , mainly for new electrical items.

Stephen.

I have two to build and one bought built which was beautifully done, part of the many kits for next year

I hear what you say about the high start prices as a seller has listed an L1 chassis starting at £19.99 which I thought was high, and amazingly it is up to £26 with a couple of hours to go, more than I would be willing to pay by far

Ebay do need to look at the private listing and review if it was a good idea as several railway and non railway items I have looked at seem to be going up suspiciously recently

• RMweb Premium

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Actually this was sold by one of the best vendors on e-bay, I have purchased many items from the lady concerned and will gladly do so again. If people get in to a bidding frenzy its not the vendors fault.

Actually this was sold by one of the best vendors on e-bay, I have purchased many items from the lady concerned and will gladly do so again. If people get in to a bidding frenzy its not the vendors fault.

Phil,

My comments were not attacking the vendor, clearly a superb ebayer with over 2600 feedback in the last 12 months and not a single negative or neautral among them, merely I am just shocked as to how much the item got, especially as I have been watching over the past few years the same items coming up and going for much less, clearly two people wanted it and congratulations to groovychick on a good result

I might add that my comment about suspicious bidding on my secondary post did not regard this lady

David

Regarding http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OO-gauge-boxed-Hornby-set-br-class-101-3-car-dmu-/300502810173?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item45f75cfe3d#ht_500wt_ which is the £112.00 DMU

Well my first offer expired without any reply from the seller so I made another one and today I got this reply:

"Item name: OO gauge boxed Hornby set br class 101 3 car dmu

Your offer price: XXXXXX

Seller terms: i was looking for a little bit more many thanks

BIN price: £112.00

Looks like he is looking for a lot more never mind a little bit more :blink: :blink:

David

• RMweb Premium

QUOTE ............for a black tank wagon !?! :blink: ENDQUOTE

Seems it wasn't worth £39.99 though when the same seller didn't manage a single bid..

Finished

Sold in December for £35.99 with 11 bids. I have bought good items with fair prices from this seller. Seems his first effort was not far short of what someone was willing to pay!

Chris

Sold in December for £35.99 with 11 bids. I have bought good items with fair prices from this seller. Seems his first effort was not far short of what someone was willing to pay!

Chris

Yes I've had some very nicely weathered grain wagons from this chap - I was tempted to have a dabble at this one early on :) but it's just amazing how some items just catch the wave and end up going for more than one might expect.

I'm no weathering expert but this just looks like a quick blow-over with a little more on the tender!

If you don't like that have a look at their take on the Bachmann A2. They had a whole page of them the other day all at £180 and all looking censored.

Bernard

Guest baldrick25

Originally offered at a Buy-it-now price of £112 and mentioned in this thread , finally auctioned for the sum of £37.50 less ebay and Payal charges. At least the punters knew its value.

Ebay Sold

Originally offered at a Buy-it-now price of £112 and mentioned in this thread , finally auctioned for the sum of £37.50 less ebay and Payal charges. At least the punters knew its value.

Ebay Sold

There's some good items on this site (B&G Bachmann Mk1's) and I'm sure it's completely legit but have refrained - just doesn't feel right (eg member name) :unsure: