EBay madness

Marcyg

Perhaps because they really wanted them and the choice was to either bid high or wait for an indeterminate time for a similar item, with the possibility of facing a similar choice then.

I missed that!  It has the ferry van door I need for mine! I wouldn't have paid that much though! I can probably get a complete van for that!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-rare-MTK-BR-ex-GWR-rebuilt-Twin-Railcar-No-33-Buffet-No-38-Kit/323578094945?hash=item4b56c1e561:g:7BEAAOSwQXlcAvqh:rk:56:pf:0

I had to look twice at the price, a Victor Meldrew moment for sure!

An MTK kit, Mr. Massingham would have been astounded.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Isn't there a reason an MTK kit is rare?  :scratchhead:   (Just being 'rare' doesn't make something valuable!)

Possibly the Lima railcar thrown in with the deal is worth more than the kit? Or am I missing something?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-rare-MTK-BR-ex-GWR-rebuilt-Twin-Railcar-No-33-Buffet-No-38-Kit/323578094945?hash=item4b56c1e561:g:7BEAAOSwQXlcAvqh:rk:56:pf:0

I had to look twice at the price, a Victor Meldrew moment for sure!

An MTK kit, Mr. Massingham would have been astounded.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Wow - I obtained an MTK twin railcar kit from eBay a couple of years ago for much, much, much, much less than that.

It was the etched brass version (much easier/better than the white metal version of this auction) and I supplemented it with some spare Hornby railcar chassis and bogies. One day it will get built.

Watching this to see if anyone bites.

Cheers

Darius

Wow - I obtained an MTK twin railcar kit from eBay a couple of years ago for much, much, much, much less than that.

It was the etched brass version (much easier/better than the white metal version of this auction) and I supplemented it with some spare Hornby railcar chassis and bogies. One day it will get built.

Cheers

Darius

DC Kits for bug-crates!!!

Does that count as a bite or is it just a mere nibble ?

Gibbo.

Oh dear, I think we've all seen the tag line of Professionally Weathered used all to often to sell models which rather look more like they've been attacked with a bog brush, but this is the first time I've seen "Wash Fade Effect" be used. 

Not to mention the slightly cheeky use of "New Generation Toolin(not the crude 1977 version )" giving the impression of the super detail tooling. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-new-generation-tooling-intercity-125-HST-bodyshells-with-wash-fade-effect/113413439820?hash=item1a67f7c14c:g:Y4gAAOSwqnlcAeTO:rk:52:pf:0

Cheers

Darius

I offered him 50 quid

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, I think we've all seen the tag line of Professionally Weathered used all to often to sell models which rather look more like they've been attacked with a bog brush, but this is the first time I've seen "Wash Fade Effect" be used.

Not to mention the slightly cheeky use of "New Generation Tooling (not the crude 1977 version )" giving the impression of the super detail tooling.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-new-generation-tooling-intercity-125-HST-bodyshells-with-wash-fade-effect/113413439820?hash=item1a67f7c14c:g:Y4gAAOSwqnlcAeTO:rk:52:pf:0

Even allowing for the out of focus photos you can see that these are the original tooled Hornby versions and not the later tooling.

I wonder how you get the “wash fade” effect - the hot cycle in the washing machine?

I see that bidding has started already - there is always someone out there who can be taken in by this sort of rubbish.

Darius

Edited by Darius43

• RMweb Gold

Good to see Rail's latest special models appear online at last. I mean, who wouldn't want an Intercity Swallow 37s with roof mounted go faster pipes? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-VITRAINS-INTERCITY-CLASS-37-685-DIESEL-LOCOMOTIVE-1J/153288212371?hash=item23b0b07f93:g:zwwAAOSwEUdcBP7I:rk:2:pf:0

They’ve got them on the buffer beams as well. I note the gearing noise issue - that may have happened when it was dropped on the floor, causing the buffer head to pop off, the windows to fall out and the nose to come off at one end. Not to worry though, the nose has been stuck back on again in almost the right place and some yellow paint has been splashed onto bits of the chassis.

What’s not to like?

Darius

Good to see Rail's latest special models appear online at last. I mean, who wouldn't want an Intercity Swallow 37s with roof mounted go faster pipes? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-VITRAINS-INTERCITY-CLASS-37-685-DIESEL-LOCOMOTIVE-1J/153288212371?hash=item23b0b07f93:g:zwwAAOSwEUdcBP7I:rk:2:pf:0

And, quote:-

"GOOD, UNBOXED CONDITION

RUNS WITH SOME GEAR NOISE

WINDOWS ARE MISSING
ONE BUFFER HEAD MISSING"

So not good then.

How can there be approximately six items of goods rolling stock? How hard is it to determine?

• RMweb Gold

NOCH SOUND SYSTEM MODEL RAILWAY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOCH-SOUND-SYSTEM-MODEL-RAILWAY/392185958926?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Description?      "PLAYS DIFFERENT SOUNDS"

Oh Good - that clears that up then.

PLEASE SEE PICTURES

- I did but all of them seemed to have the sound of silence (not the Simon and Garfunkel version)

• RMweb Gold

Description?      "PLAYS DIFFERENT SOUNDS"

Well, I suppose that adds some variety rather than just playing the same sounds.

If it includes farm animal noises, my neice had a book that played those when she was very young...

Darius

The seller seems to misunderstand the difference between, "It cost" and "It's worth".

The rolling stock might have cost £300, but would be worth about half of that second hand*; you lose the 20% VAT as soon as you hand over the money.

Being a solid block 8' x 4' will make it next to impossible to transport. (I had to dismantle our divan to get it in the house for example and that is only 7' long.)

* Or less! Nobody wants those awful Hornby 4 wheel coaches even as a gift!

I picked up one of the 'Dowlais' 0-4-0Ts at a boot sale for £2 (A coupling was broken and she lacked a smokebox door but...). A local charity had one, but they wanted £15, though I believe there was some other stuff included.

Nevertheless, 'The best of Luck!'

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Not to mention the slightly cheeky use of "New Generation Toolin(not the crude 1977 version )" giving the impression of the super detail tooling. 

If its not in the pics, its not included

So I get the railing the lumps of plastic are sat on too?

Buy with confidence from an established ebay seller with 100% positive feedback record.

With it NOT being the "New Generation Tooling", I wonder who will take the opportunity to make this claim not applicable anymore. 

The seller seems to misunderstand the difference between, "It cost" and "It's worth".

The rolling stock might have cost £300, but would be worth about half of that second hand*; you lose the 20% VAT as soon as you hand over the money.

Being a solid block 8' x 4' will make it next to impossible to transport. (I had to dismantle our divan to get it in the house for example and that is only 7' long.)

* Or less! Nobody wants those awful Hornby 4 wheel coaches even as a gift!

I picked up one of the 'Dowlais' 0-4-0Ts at a boot sale for £2 (A coupling was broken and she lacked a smokebox door but...). A local charity had one, but they wanted £15, though I believe there was some other stuff included.

Nevertheless, 'The best of Luck!'

i

I reckon some folk just mistake where they put the decimal point

They are in quite good condition (assuming what looks like a dent in the brake/third is just a lighting effect), but just the £99 would be pushing it by a considerable margin.

('Silver KIng' is not rare by any means (especially lacking her tender) and the coaches are the commonest Dublo coaches of all. Matt finish, with these coaches, probably dates from 1957.

The postage seems a tad excessive too. (small parcel up to 2kg - £6.50 ) (£11.00 special delivery compenstaion £500, but standard delivery is being offered.) Even allowing for eBay charges and packing.... (For £400, I would have offered free postage!)

The seller also has this splendid (and completely useless) TV set (and lots of other gems).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-FERGUSON-THORN-406-TV-NOT-TESTED-PERFECT-PROP-UNIT-1959-1964/192719451485?hash=item2cdef9755d:g:uK0AAOSwYIxYBlBG

Original Mullard valves (and dust!), but I don't like the look of the loose electrolytic capacitor lying on top of the EHT cage. Plug in at your peril!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

“locomotive has all its couplings and hooks”

Pity it hasn’t got its Tender!