EBay madness

Marcyg

Every Navy needs impressive names for their ships to inspire their crews.

Although the quickest glance at the last five hundred years or so of world naval history should have given us names such as: HMS Obsolete, Vulnerable, Outgunned, Unstable, or Dangerously Flawed...

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

2 minutes ago, andytrains said:

If you mean why no controlled output, it is designed to work with a separate controller, R.42, later RT. 42, and them P.42...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIANG-DC-CONTROLLER-R42-BOXED/193287027536?hash=item2d00cdfb50:g:zooAAOSwgm5eEcgj

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Although the quickest glance at the last five hundred years or so of world naval history should have given us names such as: HMS Obsolete, Vulnerable, Outgunned, Unstable, or Dangerously Flawed...

You would have to say that the Royal Navy has had it's share of names which aren't exactly inspiring anyway...Fly, Robin, Swan... :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Anyone stumbled across the seller not_another_train on eBay? Buying a loco from him involves (a) buying the body (b) buying the chassis (c) buying the appropriate tender and (d) buying the bl***y empty box to put them all in!

The combined cost (plus postage) adds up to a lot more than you can buy the complete loco for off other sellers!  That, to me, is also ‘eBay Madness’!

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

That sort of tactic seems all too common throughout eBay. A good example is: Got a busted up / incomplete motorcycle magneto / gearbox / carburettor? Strip it to component form and "part it out" for more than double the price of a complete working unit.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Following the Tomix post earlier I am left thinking that ‘HMS Avaricious’ also sounds like a good name - I’m sure a Warship loco could be named after it too. Possibly quite an appropriate adjective at certain points in history as well...

One unfortunate one in more recent years was the submarine that ran aground, named HMS Astute.

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Anyone stumbled across the seller not_another_train on eBay? Buying a loco from him involves (a) buying the body (b) buying the chassis (c) buying the appropriate tender and (d) buying the bl***y empty box to put them all in!

The combined cost (plus postage) adds up to a lot more than you can buy the complete loco for off other sellers!  That, to me, is also ‘eBay Madness’!

Steve S

I wonder what would happen if you asked him to put the loco back together prior to postage? I’m not sure the eBay name has the connotations you would want - makes it sound like ‘oh, not another train, how tedious.’ Or maybe you have to check each of the separated body/chassis lots to make sure it’s not from another train?

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Puggers said:

If you look at some of the chimney experiments that were carried out on this poor loco, you will find that it was aptly named!

But surely not as bad as the experiments on the hapless 'Royal Scots'?

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Check out the "Culture" novels by the late (great) Iain C Banks - the AI 'minds' of his (space) ships give themselves obtuse, oblique or downright crazy names to themselves as a kind of AI in-joke! The one that immediately springs to mind is Culture Fast Packet Ship Suicidal Intent ... how's that for an impressive name to inspire the crew?! 

Sorry - very OT indeed!

47 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I wonder what would happen if you asked him to put the loco back together prior to postage? I’m not sure the eBay name has the connotations you would want - makes it sound like ‘oh, not another train, how tedious.’ Or maybe you have to check each of the separated body/chassis lots to make sure it’s not from another train?

At 5:00am this morning the thought did cross my mind to ask him to reassemble the (obviously all the same) bits of a loco before posting and asking him to combine postage and let me know how much that would be ... but I didn't have pencil and paper to hand to note down the combination so I could repeat (paste) the (almost) same message request four times!!

Maybe later if I am feeling bored/mischevious!

Steve S

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

At 5:00am this morning the thought did cross my mind to ask him to reassemble the (obviously all the same) bits of a loco before posting and asking him to combine postage and let me know how much that would be ... but I didn't have pencil and paper to hand to note down the combination so I could repeat (paste) the (almost) same message request four times!!

Yes - I kind of think he won’t do it as it undermines his scheme of splitting them apart and selling for more. Of course there’s nothing illegal about ‘breaking for parts’ and for older (knackered) locos separating them into spare parts probably makes them worth more (and more useful) but from what you say it sounds as though he’s just taking locos apart but then selling all the bits of the loco to the same person in a more convoluted way.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Sarahagain said:

If you mean why no controlled output, it is designed to work with a separate controller, R.42, later RT. 42, and them P.42...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIANG-DC-CONTROLLER-R42-BOXED/193287027536?hash=item2d00cdfb50:g:zooAAOSwgm5eEcgj

Why is he selling an outdated pile of electrical pooh!

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, andytrains said:

Why is he selling an outdated pile of electrical pooh!

18 minutes ago, Geoff Endacott said:

And has it been PAT tested?

Geoff Endacott

A Triang RP42 is perfectly safe to run off a modern 12v DC utput - as such it is fine to run a vintage layout using period equipment which some of us do actually like to do. I would be more careful with any mains powered unit of that age.

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, andytrains said:

I agree that this is overpriced but these transformers can still have their uses provided you know how to use them safely. My father was an electrical engineer, and we always had bits if kit round the house.  Nowadays he would be forbidden from doing most of the things he took for granted because everything is sealed for life and can't be touched. But - IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING - having a transformer you can actually open up and check, replacing cables as needed, is very useful. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Andy WD said:

You would have to say that the Royal Navy has had it's share of names which aren't exactly inspiring anyway...Fly, Robin, Swan... :)

Hmmm, the FLOWER class corvettes, maybe? :yahoo_mini:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I agree that this is overpriced but these transformers can still have their uses provided you know how to use them safely. My father was an electrical engineer, and we always had bits if kit round the house.  Nowadays he would be forbidden from doing most of the things he took for granted because everything is sealed for life and can't be touched. But - IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING - having a transformer you can actually open up and check, replacing cables as needed, is very useful. 

That is pretty much my thoughts on the matter, whilst I thought it was overpriced and probably untested, there is no reason why it couldn't work. The wiring inside that would need checking, but if post 1955 is probably pvc covered rather than rubber and probably quite serviceable. The electrical components on my motorcycles are between 50 and 90 years old. They function perfectly well and are safe. The same goes for the old radios etc that I have. 

People are now used to having a TV that lasts about five years (which is a good 3 years after it goes out of fashion!) So they are paranoid about older electrical items exploding like Chernobyl.

It's not helped by the built in obsolescence of most electronic items. I always find it funny when motor manufacturers etc spout utter BS about greener technology when you can't fix anything, just throw it away. Recycling "tech" generally translates as setting fire to it on the banks of the Ganges or somewhere to recover the metal anyway.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

The chassis from it appears in the "seller's other items" list. I couldn't be a###d to look and see if he was offering an ultra RARE chimney fixing screw as a separate item

• Funny 2

A different way of saying “L@@K”.....

I wouldn’t mind, but when you do “see the description” it isn’t so much of a description! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-LOCO-DRIVE-BR-REPAINTED-2-6-0-LOCO-78024-SEE-THE-DESCRIPTION/383645948145?hash=item59531498f1:g:1CMAAOSwinxfBiyM

Edited by Sarahagain
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Sarahagain said:

HMS Bluebell...   :)

It may be funny...but HMS Bluebell did exist...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Bluebell_(K80)

More on the Flower Class...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower-class_corvette

Edited by Sarahagain
Link changed
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1