EBay madness

Marcyg

2 minutes ago, Sarahagain said:

Possibly so that the listing will come up on searches for N and On gauge?

Keyword spam. Lots of people do it. I get fed up of doing a search amongst the motorcycle parts section and it is overrun with listings  that have "Not BSA Triumph Norton" in the title. You can't avoid them. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Keyword spam. Lots of people do it. I get fed up of doing a search amongst the motorcycle parts section and it is overrun with listings  that have "Not BSA Triumph Norton" in the title. You can't avoid them. 

And it's really annoying.................:angry:

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Also why the need to specify ‘NOT N or 0 gauge’?

Because people can't understand.....

Recently sold an O Gauge item. Clearly listed as 'O Gauge' I still had somebody ask what size it was! Maybe I should have added the 'not N or OO :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I doubt it would work, you're giving them too many options. 

I was helping out a friend last week with a restored vintage BSA Bantam two stroke. The owner had paid a considerable sum for it and asked my friend to check it over. 

One of his main concerns was "Could we convert it to run on unleaded petrol so that he didn't have to bother putting that horrible oil in the tank?"

No.

There was little point in explaining that it was designed to run on just the kind of rainwater petrol we use today and failing to put oil in the tank will cause the engine to blow up. I suggested we took it off him before he either wrecked it or killed someone. Unfortunately not an option.

The funny part was he claimed to have owned one previously. 

You just can't allow for people and unless you emigrated to the moon, you just have to answer silly questions.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's just the point. Everything comes and goes in fads, which is fine if you are buying and selling stuff like stocks and shares, vintage vehicles and militaria are just the same.

An awful lot of people get stung buying limited editions and instant collectibles. In twenty years time, they could be worth as much as half what you paid.

The thing to do is sell just at the point where stocks have run out, or just as someone else pays stupid money.

I prefer to buy things that I like or I can use. If it becomes valuable then it's a bonus.

I always get to know where potential buyers of motorcycles are coming from. If they are an enthusiast and intend to use it as intended then fine. If it's someone buying up as many as possible as an "investment", then I always have an interested party that I have to give first refusal to and can I call back the next day? Then it's a case of: "Sorry, it's sold". 

Ever since the late 80's "investors" have been the bane of true enthusiasts.

I don't think the high prices for some items are necessarily driven by collectors - they are also driven by those that actually want to run the stuff.

I agree about the buying things that I can use and if it becomes valuable = bonus!

The trick is deciding at what point I no longer want to use, but it's still valuable.......

I have that quandary with a LU white Bachmann 66.............

I was prepared to pay so much for my 2+7 EMT set (about 4 years ago) but got lucky with a bid for less than others wanted BIN for a 2+4.

It certainly wasn't bought to stick on a shelf at the time.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, newbryford said:

I don't think the high prices for some items are necessarily driven by collectors - they are also driven by those that actually want to run the stuff.

I agree about the buying things that I can use and if it becomes valuable = bonus!

The trick is deciding at what point I no longer want to use, but it's still valuable.......

I have that quandary with a LU white Bachmann 66.............

I was prepared to pay so much for my 2+7 EMT set (about 4 years ago) but got lucky with a bid for less than others wanted BIN for a 2+4.

It certainly wasn't bought to stick on a shelf at the time.

If models were made out of some fom of biodegradable plastic which needed to be exposed to layout lighting regularly, that would sort the collectors out!

Mike.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

If models were made out of some fom of biodegradable plastic which needed to be exposed to layout lighting regularly, that would sort the collectors out!

Mike.

Just as long as it made them open the box.....................

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

23 hours ago, newbryford said:

One of the latest "fads" seems to be East Midlands HST stock.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392903242706?ul_noapp=true

19 hours ago, MrWolf said:

£632.00? Nuts. How is it "worth" that much? 

19 hours ago, newbryford said:

If it sells, then it is worth that much to someone who wants it.

Some liveries/models command high prices as they are no longer readily available. There has been an upward trend in the demand/price for EMT livery for a few months.

First Great Western neon HST stuff went for daft money a couple of years ago. 

Ignoring some of the dodgy bidding, Bachmann S stock fetches silly money.

Look at Rapido APT-E sold listings. Upwards of £800 for the set and 3-figure sums for the separate coaches that were available at the time.

This should follow the trend.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rapido-Trains-Inc-13501-APT-E-DC-DCC-Sound-OO-Gauge-still-sealed-BRAND-NEW/203072474693?hash=item2f48100e45:g:OCoAAOSwOFNfMD70

18 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's just the point. Everything comes and goes in fads, which is fine if you are buying and selling stuff like stocks and shares, vintage vehicles and militaria are just the same.

An awful lot of people get stung buying limited editions and instant collectibles. In twenty years time, they could be worth as much as half what you paid.

The thing to do is sell just at the point where stocks have run out, or just as someone else pays stupid money.

I prefer to buy things that I like or I can use. If it becomes valuable then it's a bonus.

I always get to know where potential buyers of motorcycles are coming from. If they are an enthusiast and intend to use it as intended then fine. If it's someone buying up as many as possible as an "investment", then I always have an interested party that I have to give first refusal to and can I call back the next day? Then it's a case of: "Sorry, it's sold". 

Ever since the late 80's "investors" have been the bane of true enthusiasts.

I can remember when the EMT Mk3s were stuck on shelves being ignored. However that was a long time ago, if you want this livery now you have to pay the price. There is no dark cabal of 'collectors' in the shadows depriving ordinary folk of these models, just supply and demand. When accusations fly of 'scalpers' or whatever they miss the point that quite often the sellers are ordinary modellers who have the item but have noticed that it is selling for good money and decide to sell because it means they can perhaps afford something else, all of which keeps manufacturers in business etc. And yes, it is very fashion-driven so models that sold for premiums ten years ago can be half the price now - although funnily enough price falls don't seem to exercise as much glee. Bachmann S stock is currently in high fashion, but everyone had about 3 years to fork out the 300 odd notes that they were being sold at by the LT Museum, so, hey, that's life. I remember Model Railways Direct selling Hornby 'Thomas' Murdoch 2-10-0s at under £60, they had dozens in their sale. You can get over £400 for that model now!

'Pure' ebay madness to me is the relentless listing of an item at a price it will never sell for. In my book, any seller that actually shifts an item is not mad, whatever you think of the buyer....

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

"GRAB A PIECE OF HISTORY 2020 YEAR OF THE PANDEMIC"

Sorry, that's simply disgusting.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

£12 is the Royal Mail next day guaranteed (or was until covid...) express service by 1pm.  For that you get £500 insurance (though can increase it) and up to 2Kg.  Worth it IMHO for an expensive item - though I'm not endorsing that this loco is worth £200.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I am sure I saw something on the Hornby website saying that if they all sold then either £30,000 or £40,000 would be donated to NHS charities. Sadly I can't remember the exact amount that was going to be donated. 

PS I am a railway fan not a diseasel fan! 

Edited by Chris116
Added PS
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Is it any more tasteless than manufacturing it and cashing in in the first place? Or were they originally sold with donations to charity?

Yes they were. £140,000 is being donated to charity by the company - something widely publicised when the model was released.

26 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Can any diseasel fans clear that up?

Or anyone who can use Google- https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/captain_tom

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Is it any more tasteless than manufacturing it and cashing in in the first place? Or were they originally sold with donations to charity?

Yes, of course it's tasteless - read again what she said, the seller.  Hornby made a % contribution, from each locomotive sold, to NHS charities. 

This is ambulance-chasing of the worst order, cashing-in on the bad luck, no, the tragic fate of others.  We all knew it was bound to happen, but to use that phrase shows how greedy and contemptible a minority of people can be.  The bad taste continues in her other listings of sexist so-called 'saucy' postcards.  Vile individual.

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Yes they were. £140,000 is being donated to charity by the company - something widely publicised when the model was released.

Or anyone who can use Google- https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/captain_tom 

Thank you Phil, I was sure that a company like Hornby would have altruism in mind when they issued the model.

I could have googled it, but in my defence it was my turn to cook dinner!

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2