Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

7 hours ago, tubs01 said:

I have a soft spot for the pug. it is my first project after a 39 year hiatus from railway modelling. I picked it up for a fiver and I've been doing a serious upgrade to it, spending more than it cost on extras from Wizard ;-) I have been working on it for six months and it is still not done. New motor, DCC, hand rails, real coal. Totally OTT, but through it, I have been getting my knack back ;-)

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3

2 hours ago, tubs01 said:

No need to worry, you too can have you very own 25 year old trainset with worn track and underscale coaches for the bargain price of 300 quid. :)https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-intercity-125-train-set-/274996610253?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

(

But it has a "Storage area"

NL

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

A very long time ago, I remember spending hours cutting panelling from postcard material with a Stanley knife in an attempt to copy a Furness Railway four wheeler that I had seen a drawing of in one of the monthly magazines and mounting it onto a Lima continental chassis, (ex DR branch line coach IIRC) it got painted in something approaching LMS maroon with an oversized brush. 

A couple of years later, I discovered Ratio 4 wheelers and it got binned.

A friend of mine did a similar thing, but he still has his, about forty years on, albeit slightly crushed.

If it wasn't for that, I would have still been running nothing but RTR. 

In fact, I started making stuff that I couldn't otherwise afford, so that probably kept me in the hobby.

I still have a 50 year old scar on my thumb from an entirely predicable modelling knife slip. 7 year old me decided to carve 4mm sleepers from a piece of wood. I never did tell Mum the whole story of the accident!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

My Stanley knife branding is from a decade later, it's where I learned that it's safer to fit a new blade rather than apply more pressure to a blunt one.

It's a rite of passage.

Relieved I wasn't using a bollo*king knife. One slip with one of these and I would have remained a perpetual soprano! :scared:

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Given the number of times that Drac is alleged to have returned, was he in?  :scratchhead:

Well, given that he's a vampire, in fact not just a vampire but the vampire, he would have been in if it was between sunrise and sunset.  Between sunset and sunrise is a different story.

'Velcome to my humble abode.  Vould you like some vine? Igor, fetch our guests some vine.  I, myself, do not drink... vine!'  Mwah ha ha ha ha ha ha...

• Funny 5

3 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Someone needs to watch these items on their account to see if any of them actually sell.

My watch list is bulging with listings for vintage motorcycles at highly speculative prices, which in some cases I know exactly where they came from and how much, or rather, how little, the dealer actually paid for them.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

These wagons are listed on a few different Facebook selling pages.  I think the seller said in the comments these are also for sale on eBay.  On that tenuous link I have posted them here!

Anyway looks like we will need security next time we run them on the club layout!

Screenshot_20211028-141029_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Funny 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133917286401?hash=item1f2e17a001:g:53sAAOSwFe5hepfu

According to Rails of Sheffield this is in "Excellent Boxed Condition".

Despite the fact it appears to be bent, the paintwork is in awful condition, and it doesn't actually run...

I can only hope that the "Excellent" part is referring to the condition of the box itself, not the loco, as the box does appear to be in reasonable condition.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, RWJP said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133917286401?hash=item1f2e17a001:g:53sAAOSwFe5hepfu

According to Rails of Sheffield this is in "Excellent Boxed Condition".

Despite the fact it appears to be bent, the paintwork is in awful condition, and it doesn't actually run...

I can only hope that the "Excellent" part is referring to the condition of the box itself, not the loco, as the box does appear to be in reasonable condition.

Listed by another 'new' Rails staff member???

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

Just now, tubs01 said:

If only I still had mine from when I was 7! Not sure why half the Thomas stuff goes for so much when it was mass produced for so many years

I think that we can be pretty certain that it will never be played with by children at that money, if at all.

• Agree 4