EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

This one from Mr Costomuche would almost be reasonable if it was what it's claimed to be. However it's part of an Airfix/Dapol platform accessories kit in a merit box.

MERIT STATION ACCESSORIES BOXED ok

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item56453ca68a

The following is a copy of my correspondence with this seller today:

Dear gostude

Hi

It appears from your photograph that what you are selling is part of an Airfix/Dapol platform accessories kit in a merit box.

can you clarify?

Thanks

Colin Mcleod

Dear colin_mcleod,

Hi Colin,

they may look similar, but these are definitely Merit

Regards

Greg Diffen

Draw your own conclusions.

I just know that there is an RMWebber out there who has been waiting for this opportunity all his life - at this price!

http://cgi.ebay.fr/J...=item5ae2d742ae

Yes - so much easier to buy this for £30 online, rather than pick one up for a fiver at your local swap-meet...

Very tempting, it's cheaper than the Dapol one and you don't have to wait for it to arrive from China. Would anyone notice the difference?

No, I shouldn't think so - unless you stood it next to an OO model - or an HO one! I've had a couple of these (badged Playcraft, but it's the same as the Jouef one, I'm sure), and the most complimentary word to describe them is probably "sturdy", for which you may read "a bit wide"!

Edited by Steve K

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27bf28aa1c

Isn't that the point about models?

Interesting bit about that was that when I clicked on the link I also got a 'people are also looking at ...' - and the first item turned out to be an Anbrico factory built Cravens Parcels Car, currently standing at a mere 26 quid. Who says EBay no longer has bargains (not that it will stay at that price of course, especially now :jester: ).

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item336d174681

With a buy-it-now of £109.50 when its available from all the box-shifters for around £52-£55... Ahh its a favourite seller chancing again.

There must be plenty of 'collectors' out there to keep him in business judging by his feedback totals and items sold numbers. I've got one of those, perhaps I ought to try my luck!

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item336d174681

With a buy-it-now of £109.50 when its available from all the box-shifters for around £52-£55... Ahh its a favourite seller chancing again.

Surely this is the LT museum version (L94) and NOT the current Bachmann issue (L89) so maybe worth a bit of a premium but it's pretty dumb leaving the £45 label on it.

• RMweb Gold

Surely this is the LT museum version (L94) and NOT the current Bachmann issue (L89) so maybe worth a bit of a premium but it's pretty dumb leaving the £45 label on it.

He's described it as '31-903' and there are plenty of them knocking around in the auction houses and coming out in the £40-60 range. But, as usual, he is only going to sell stuff if people are prepared to but it so they are as much to blame as him when you think about it (assuming someone does buy at his top prices).

• RMweb Premium

........., at least you know it's never been run - look at the wheel treads!

The woodscrew from the base to the loco, and the bar from the base to the carriage may also contribute somewhat to the un-run condition!

Got a message back from the seller, the price tag is part of the charm of this out of release model and when I've bought it I can remove it. Fat chance that I'll buy it.

• RMweb Gold

Got a message back from the seller, the price tag is part of the charm of this out of release model and when I've bought it I can remove it. Fat chance that I'll buy it.

The e bay seller seems inconsistent with his answers. His first conversation with me was as follows:

Dear Gostude

Hi

Is that a £45 price label showing in the photo of this current item?

Regards

Colin

Dear colin_mcleod,

Hi,

I doubt it.

Regards

Greg Diffen

Our next conversation went as follows:

Dear Greg

Please take a look instead of just doubting it. It definitely is a price sticker

that makes an interesting comparison with your Buy it Now price.

I wish you luck.

Regards

Colin

Dear colin_mcleod,

Hi Colin,

I dont like taking original price stickers off items. What do you do with your 1930's toys?

Can I buy you hous at 1965 prices ? I can probably just write you a cheque for that amount, but I doubt you would accept the deal for some resason.

Regards

Greg Diffen

Dear Greg

Fair comment but neither would you offer me more than my house is worth.

Regards

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dont think this has been mentioned on here before, But

Is there a defined rule as to what is the Scottish Highlands? I have had two occasions recently of being either unable to Purchase or surcharged Postage for Scottish Highlands, when my postcode is AB41, (14 miles outside Aberdeen).

In communications with sellers, they cannot define what this area is, where it starts and stops and why the extra charges for what is obviously not the Highlands!

I know of another instance where PA2 was refused when in reality its only 10 miles from Glasgow!

Some folk out there are taking the biscuit!

Rgds

Mark