EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, ianmacc said:

The D600s were to be 41 and were allocated it hence the gap in the eventual roster of locomotives but they were withdrawn at the last minute at the end of 1967.  I actually refer to them as 41s but I’m not opening that can of worms! Incidentally weren’t they type 4 too? Not type three. Hence the allocation of 41 and not (say) 38 or 39.

This is correct; for some reason I had it in my head (wobbly location at the best of times) that these were 1,800hp.  The engines were MAN, rated at 1khp, two of them.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, 40152 said:

Looks like this one has been adding up individual best prices as seen on Ebay and come up with a job lot attached to a big number:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304813191989?

Given the age of most of the Farish locos in there, that looks like a whole world of potential split gear fun for someone to sort out too…

And that's his starting bid, no BIN option.

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

And that's his starting bid, no BIN option.

An eternal optimist!

Initially I thought there were more locos, given the price, but the majority are coaches and wagons. Any experts here with a sensible valuation? Not that I'm interested in N, beyond the two locos I already have* for a tiny layout.

Perhaps a sensible offer should be made? 😃

* Dapol 14xx and 57xx locos for a "heritage" look...

Edited by Hroth
just a bit more
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 40152 said:

Looks like this one has been adding up individual best prices as seen on Ebay and come up with a job lot attached to a big number:

Given the age of most of the Farish locos in there, that looks like a whole world of potential split gear fun for someone to sort out too…

But having them all in one place, saves a would be buyer from searching eBay for weeks!

Got to be worth a significant premium.

At least none are under the Grafar label!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 40152 said:

It makes me wonder who is going to buy a job lot that's a complete mixed bag of eras and even countries? At a glance there's British, American and European.

The only dead cert is a dealer who will split it down to individual lots of he isn't going to be remotely interested at that price.

Another no sale.

Oh dear how sad never mind...

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It makes me wonder who is going to buy a job lot that's a complete mixed bag of eras and even countries? At a glance there's British, American and European.

The only dead cert is a dealer who will split it down to individual lots of he isn't going to be remotely interested at that price.

Another no sale.

Oh dear how sad never mind...

Spot on. Big lot of (say) GWR stock and locos would possibly sell at a high price as the buyer would want all the items and the convenience and postage saving is the selling point. Random assortment of items and a dealer will take the lot at a low to medium price. One or the other works but not both in tandem. 

Edited by ianmacc
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The wagons are old old Poole Era ones, maybe a fiver each?

Coaches at best a tenner a go and going in blind on the locos not knowing if they are runners and or how long they have sat vegetating in their boxes, no more than thirty five each with the odd balls that have been thrown in all but worthless.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 21/02/2023 at 14:07, Swissrail said:

This Britannia...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204245326833?hash=item2f8df85bf1:g:b-4AAOSwwhZj7W-5

is hardly "like new" and looks to me to be a pretty tired Minitrix offering. The three modern image hoppers again, pretty pointless and out of period.

I contacted this seller to tell him he had a Minitrix Britannia since he didn't seem to know. He took that as interest and replied with:

"Hi, please feel free to make me an offer bearing in mind I paid over £20 each for the wagons. Regards...."

I sincerely doubt the truth of that statement.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

I contacted this seller to tell him he had a Minitrix Britannia since he didn't seem to know. He took that as interest and replied with:

"Hi, please feel free to make me an offer bearing in mind I paid over £20 each for the wagons. Regards...."

He could have bought them from Gosturd.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Perceptions of the value of railway models by those outside the hobby are well off.  I've just been given a pile of attic recovery stuff by one of the lads up the pub, wanted a beer for it.  A 'playworn' scratched-up HD 2-rail 80033, Triang TC red and silver Bo-Bo, and some HD wagons.  We had a look at what 80033 fetches on the 'Bay, and models in good nick are fetching about £40 without the box.  Reconditioned remagged in good box are fetching twice that.  He says the engine runs, but slowly, which sounds like a degraded magnet to me.  His momentary dreams of wealth beyond imagining did not last long...

This haul is of limited use to me but I accepted it as a kind offer and refusing would have been rude.  The wagons might have some use on top of better quality kit chassis, and the old shorty Triang brake van might end up as a messroom/cabin somewhere, suitably 'distressed'.  The locos will be shelf queens, displayed as is as retro toys with a bit of playworn 'character' and a nice patina of age; they are about 60 years old.  80133 did work to Blaengwynfi with a Porthcawl excursion once in 1963, but that's pushing Rule 1 a bit too far for me!

Might be fun to try and get them running, though!  I have no interest in selling anything on eBay, better ways to suck my time are available!

Laters, dudes, I'm off up the pub now to pick up my ill-gottens, he's bringing them in this avo...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

By inference then he's donating a portion of the profits to the charity too?

Should be quite a wedge at that mark up.

To quote The Johnster, mendacious chiseller.

Mike.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

32 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Perceptions of the value of railway models by those outside the hobby are well off.  I've just been given a pile of attic recovery stuff by one of the lads up the pub, wanted a beer for it.  A 'playworn' scratched-up HD 2-rail 80033, Triang TC red and silver Bo-Bo, and some HD wagons.  We had a look at what 80033 fetches on the 'Bay, and models in good nick are fetching about £40 without the box.  Reconditioned remagged in good box are fetching twice that.  He says the engine runs, but slowly, which sounds like a degraded magnet to me.  His momentary dreams of wealth beyond imagining did not last long...

This haul is of limited use to me but I accepted it as a kind offer and refusing would have been rude.  The wagons might have some use on top of better quality kit chassis, and the old shorty Triang brake van might end up as a messroom/cabin somewhere, suitably 'distressed'.  The locos will be shelf queens, displayed as is as retro toys with a bit of playworn 'character' and a nice patina of age; they are about 60 years old.  80133 did work to Blaengwynfi with a Porthcawl excursion once in 1963, but that's pushing Rule 1 a bit too far for me!

Might be fun to try and get them running, though!  I have no interest in selling anything on eBay, better ways to suck my time are available!

Laters, dudes, I'm off up the pub now to pick up my ill-gottens, he's bringing them in this avo...

To quote Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: 'Let's be careful out there' - don't do anything we wouldn't!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swissrail said:

You weren't tempted to waste your time with a cheery and empathetic response such as:

"Hi, in that case, you were done my friend. Most roughly, from behind, with a frosty mop..."  *

*Or possibly a jazz trumpet.

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Put a Wills Finecast, Stanier 2.6.4. body on the HD chassis! Sell the 80000 body, get yer money back! Attach a small neo magnet on the old mag.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You weren't tempted to waste your time with a cheery and empathetic response such as:

"Hi, in that case, you were done my friend. Most roughly, from behind, with a frosty mop..."  *

*Or possibly a jazz trumpet.

Jazz trumpet: with, or without a harmon mute??

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

That's one of the cheaper items for sale too....

image.png.042032c430fbf59ace5682fdbd5798a9.png

image.png.055287951f42fafc379440bb362cbb5c.png

and we think toy trains are expensive

image.png.5a4c9980f5d2b77d16e0cc055247e676.png

I was glad I checked out this sellers other items. Amongst the nearly £4,000 train sets there’s a set of two Costa coffee cups (with the coffee missing) for £159!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

To quote The Johnster, mendacious chiseller.

FTFY, you're welcome...

Ok, I'm back from the pub, with 2 bags full of stuff.  The 4MT turns out to be a 3-rail 80054, and the TC Bo-Bo a dummy unit.  There is, as well as the wagons mentioned, a couple of TC cabeese (the plural of caboose has to be cabeese, surely) and a TC snowplough.  The other bag contains a quantity of steel Super 4 setrack, which can be cleaned up and used as a test/running in circuit.  There is a Meccano 'Marshall' amplifier, I mean controller, centre off and incremental, with a 'P - F' slider switch, no idea what that does!

The 4MT and the Bo-Bo will be shelf queens, the Bo-Bo possibly in conjuction with the snowplough and the cabeese, and there is a 5-planker and a couple of Triang Hull & Barnsley vans that might be worth saving with new chassis.  Three Triang tank wagons probably aren't, but could see further use off their metal chassis (Modelmaster?) as factory fuel or chemical storage, and the shorty Triang NE brakevan will, as suggested earlier, do as a messroom/cabin, or an outhouse/workshop/shed/man cave, or even a pigeon coop.

There is a damaged Triang 8-inch blood'n'custard Stanier coach, Triang 7-plank with no doors and chemical damage on one side, a Triang Hornby lwb tank wagon, and two Playcraft Jouef wagons purporting to be 21ton mineral and Tube wagons; I suspect that, realistically, these are all landfill.  Haven't examined the track yet.  None of this is anything I would have paid money for, but it is not in my nature to throw things away if they can possibly have further lives.

I have a use for the Marshall controller, as a controlled power supply for lighting.  If I put it into reverse, will I be able to make my lights emit concentrated beams of darkness...

• Like 5
  • Agree 1